1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best starting character???

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Son of Moradin, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Son of Moradin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Hi.

Yes i know it, i´m aufully slow, but i has just brought BGII Soa+ToB and now i would like to know.

Which character should i start out making??

Which characters aren´t that common throug out Amn??

Please help me!!

Thanks from the stupid dane
    :confused:

2. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Have you played other Infinity engine games?
    What kind of character do you want to play? Warrior? Spellcaster? Thief?

If you want a warrior, I recommend paladin. Paladins are quite uncommon, since there is only one joinable NPC paladin.

3. Son of Moradin Gems: 2/31

Well right now i´m playing IWDII and i have also played IWDI but in these games you create a whole party not only a single character. So what i want to know i if there is any characters whom aren´t presented in the game.

Like do i have to make i Wizard because there are no Wizard later in the game who will join my party etc.

4. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

No,Edwin is a helluva good Spellcaster,his amulet grants him +3 extra spells for each level.But i suggest a Paladin for start.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    That kinda depends on who you want into your party, right now I´ve got Yoshino(Thief), Jaheira(Fighter/Druid), Minsc(Berserker/Ranger), Aerie(Cleric/Mage and Nalia(Thief dualed to Mage) in my party and myself as a nice Kensai dualwielding two Katana´s..

So I suggest you pick a fighter or paladin (just for Carsomyr :D ), maybe a monk or sorcerer..

6. The Silver Bear Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

If you really want a "new" character, you should be an Archer, or maybe the subclasses of the Bards! They are really funny and are very "new" to the game...good luck!

7. Son of Moradin Gems: 2/31

Thanks. Have any of you any nice tips for me to start out with??

Do i have to play BGI before i play BGII to understand the plot??

8. Wray Vitki Gems: 2/31

No, you don't have to play the first to understand the plot. A lot is explained in Shadows of Amn, and a lot of it doesn't seem to really matter until ToB...but that is just my opinion.

9. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

If you are evil a thief kit class might be best.

No evil thieves are to be found... :(

Swashbukler is nice. Sort of a half-fighter. ;)

If you are good, a Paladin, Ranger, or pure fighter class might be best. Or a Cleric, since there are no pure Clerics that are good or nuetral.

Best Kits IMO?

Fighter: Kensai
    Paladin: Undead Hunter
    Ranger: Archer (Silver Bear is right :) )

Also don't neglect Monk and Sorcerer.
    Those are the two best of the "new" classes.

10. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

The Stalker(Ranger) kit is also quite cool to play with, so with the Undead Hunter(Paladin).
    Only one question; Do you powergame or not?

11. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] You really should consider playing a monk. Monks are simply great.(and never dull in the least!) And i'll tell you why; they have alot of cool feats and abilities and they don't really have to buy weapons or armor because their fists and their feet are as good or better than most weapons. Even magical ones. And because of the absence of the need of any armor or weopons, you will have plenty of money which you can spend on potions and magical items. And make sure you give your monk A WHOLE LOT of strength. And oh, Yes, I would definately recommend playing through Baldurs Gate 1 before Baldurs Gate 2. I beleive it would give you a sense of background before venturing into a brand new world. And I think the story is tied closely enough that that should also be considered. Whatever your decision, just make sure you HAVE FUN!!!

[ March 03, 2003, 06:25: Message edited by: Kovalis Darkfire ]

12. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Most of my pcs are tanks, except for my thief. However, in ToB a thief can use any item in the game...yes, even Carsomyr.

13. Son of Moradin Gems: 2/31

Well i realy hope i´m going to enjoy it.

Does anybody know where i can buy BGI??

I can´t find in my local shops!! :confused:

14. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Sorcerers get to be the most powerful characters quickly. At least with ToB (sorry to bring it up but I'm not sure about SoA so..). Of course, that being said it depends on wether you want to create a spellcaster or a fighter. In terms of rarity and power, though, Sorcerer is clearly the best choice.

At immensely high levels, sorcerers have the drawback of stopping advancement, as they can never get over 6 spells per level, and the variation of different spells per level is not even near of a common mage. But that's hardly a problem to be considered in SoA.

15. The Silver Bear Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm with you, Foradasthar! Sorcerers are real powerful at higher levels (actually, if I'm not mistaken, they are the most powerful class in the game)! Ah, Son of Moradin, I'm having difficulties to find BG 1 here too...I suggest buying by Internet, even being a little more expensive than the local stores!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.