1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best singers

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by casey, Mar 31, 2004.

1. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Inspired by the best guitar solo, who in your opinions are the best singers out there? it doesn't matter if they are Punk, Metal, Classic, main vocal, back up or whatever else you want.

With the few real singers I've ever listened to in recent (past 2-3 years) times I'd have to say Scott Stapp from Creed "with arms wide open" and Chester Bennington from Linkin Park, his song "My December" in particular was great.
    But I will probably change my mind as soon as I listen to other singers later on

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Gotta be Johan Antilla from the band 'Radioaktiva Räker.' Guess you never heard of him, right? Well, he did a short solo career as well.

3. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

No I have not.

Also Lars(?) from Metallica seems to be a very good singer or was in "The unforgiven" at least. I like Metallica in general but some of it's a but too angsty, and dark/depressing for me, but "The unforgiven" didn't sound like it was aimed solely at my age group (17)

Or maybe I've just misinterpreted the meaning *shrugs*

4. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

This is likely biased, and according only to my tastes as of right now.

Female: Kaisa Jouhki (Battlelore).

Male: Marco Hietala (Tarot).

5. Lady Luthien Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Right now, I think the best voice would be Norah Jones...
    And for the guys', I like John Linnell :heh:

6. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

David Byron (Uriah Heep), Rob Halford (Judas Priest), Eric Adams (Manowar), Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden), Geoff Tate (Queensryche), Ian Gillan (Deep Purple), Michael Kiske (Helloween), Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio), David Coverdale (Deep Purple, Whitesnake), Klaus Meine (Scorpions), Sean Harris (Diamond Head), Freddie Mercury (Queen).

7. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Male:Ozzy Osbourne Johan Etlung(Tiamat, LucyFire)Hank From Hell (Turbonegro)
    Female: Floor Jansen(After Forever, Star One)Astrid Van Der Veen (Astrid, Ambeon) And that Girl from Mandragora Scream

8. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@Casey - The reason you have not is because it is a swedish band that sings swedish songs only. Heh, the only one I know on this board that know who the 'Radioaktiva Räker' is is RooK.

9. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Freddie Mercury. He just had an amazing voice.

10. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Chris Rea/Sting/Phil Lynott
    Female - Stevie Nicks

11. metal leper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

James Labrie (Dream Theater)
    Tarja (Nightwish, can't remember how to spell her surname)
    King Diamond (Mercyful Fate/King Diamond)
    Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian)
    Zakk Wylde (Zakk Wylde/Pride and Glory/BLS)
    James Hetfield (Metallica)
    Bruce Dickison (Iron Maiden)
    Paul Di'Anno (also Maiden, did I spell his surname right?)
    Rob Halford (Priest)
    Michael Kiske (Helloween - my favourite of all the singers they've had)
    Fabio Lione (Rhapsody)
    Sean Harris (Diamond Head)
    David Wayne something (Metal Church)
    Dio (Dio, Sabbath, not so much the Rainbow stuff)
    Russell Allen (Symphony X)
    Jeff Martin (Racer X)
    Jeff Scott Soto (Yngwie Malmsteen)

Quite a range of styles (all under the metal umbrella though), and quite a range of technical ability too

12. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] Björk.
    For such a frail person she has a great and powerful voice which can take you on a journey - if you let it happen. Saw her live here and there. Almost peed in my pants with joy and awe. Special creature she is. :rolling:

13. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

I really can’t stand her music or her voice, I don’t know what it is but Bjorks stuff has to be the worst music I have ever heard in my life, but that’s just me.

14. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

:mad: ;) :D
    Love her or hate her.
    For most people there is nothing in between those two choices with Björk. I can understand that, but I surely adore her. She is the ****ing goddess.

15. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Kylie Minogue.

16. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I have to agree with Mesmero, Freddie Mercury reigns supreme.

Currently I'd pick Dan Swano (Edge of Sanity) and Mike Akerfeldt (Opeth). You'll get the full range from these two, clean, to screeching black and brutal death. Thom Yorke (Radiohead) and Maynard James Keenan (Tool) would have to be up there as well.

Female: Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil).

17. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I forget his name but the lead singer to System of a Down is pretty good.

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Sharon den Adell from Within Temptation (though I would like to listen to some more of After Forever and Nightwish's stuff).

I've become rather fixated on female vocals lately.

19. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

How come 90% of the singers here are ones I've never even heard of? Either I've got to get out more or...

Well, I probably just need to get out more. :(

20. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

:) I've not heard of 90% of them either.

Ian Watkins of Lostprophets has a very distinctive voice.
    Matt Bellamy of Muse (who I go on about often as my role model) has a fantastic singing voice.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.