1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best race to play as?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Mariana, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Mariana Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

In your opinion, what is the best race to play as in BGII? Either because of their abilities, what makes the most sense in the game, or just as a personal preference? I usually play as a human, because I have all the class options open to me and I can have one of the romances. My second choice is an elf, because I can multi-class them and have romances as well.

2. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Um...Elves cant romance Viconia by the way, only Humans, Halflings and Half-Elves.
    I prefer half-elves, because I like the significant role-play issue regarding their multi-cultural not-fitting-in thing.
    I myself am half from one country and another, so i kinda relate to that.
    But the best race in BG2 is simply:
    Fighter Type: Half-Orc
    Thief Type: Halfling
    Mage Type: Gnome, Elf

BUt yes, I play half-Elves, bards more specifically.

3. Mariana Gems: 2/31

Halflings can romance Viconia? I know elves can't, but I didn't think halflings could. I remember hearing that half-orcs were supposed to be able to at one point in development. But I only play as an elf if I'm trying to romance one of the other three options.

[This message has been edited by Mariana (edited July 22, 2002).]

4. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It depends on the class. For a fighter type, I like Human or Half-elf. For thieves, halfling.

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I always play as an elf, but that's just personal preference. The races most suited for each class (from a rp perspective):

Fighter: Dwarf, Human, Half-Orc
    Paladin: Human (obviously)
    Ranger: Elf, Half-Elf, Human
    Monk: Human
    Thief: Halfling, Elf, Human
    Cleric: Any
    Mage: Elf, Human, Gnome
    Barbarian: Half-Orc, Dwarf, Human

6. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I always love playing as Rangers so I am mostly always a Half-Elf.

7. shadows Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

im a half elf assasin....

so much for their reverese (sp) for life . . .

8. Deth Guest

Half elf? Whats the other half, I always assumed that it was human, but could someone be half-elf and half-halfling?
    :confused:

9. void Guest

The basic half-elf is half elf half human, I'm not sure that other combos are possible, but I don't know. (e.g. humans and gorillas are about 99% the same genetically, but they can't mate, while horses and donkeys are aroung 35% the same but they can mate...).

As for the actual topic, I never play anything but an elf or a half-elf, no idea why though, just a personal thing :) .

10. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I tend to play half-elves though pure elves are good too, especially if you're an archer. Awesome bonuses with the bow, not to mention "called shot".

11. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I play humans almost 100%, and very rarely half-elf/elf if the class needs it (ie ranger/cleric, sorcerer etc).

To Spelladonna-
    I may have read this wrong but are you trying to say that only half-elvish and elvish archers can get called shot? AFAIK any race playing the archer kit will get called shot :confused: im confused, or a may just have misinterpreted your post :confused:

12. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Perhaps I worded it poorly. IIRC, elves & half-elves get bonuses to bows that the other races do not get.

13. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG]
    Half-Elves don't get bonuses with the bow. the only race that gets a bow bonus are elves (+1 with long swords & bows).

And btw called shot is the special ability of the Archer.

14. astro zombie Gems: 2/31

hi well i prefer half elf'sand i always use the smae carecter for ever game a half-elf druid dont know why and dont really care, i guess they are my favorit's maybe.

~*~Astro Zombie~*~

15. vegetalai Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

well i hate dwarfs/halfling etc . i like elfs but they look to skinny and humans look really cool and strong
    and i like paladines cuz ther the closets thing to a samurai
    so i would have to say mine is human

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] :love: Halflings :love: make up the best paladins, archers, wild-mage/ thiefs, thiefs and .... ahem ... :thumb: halflings rule :thumb:

PS: Isn't a kensai what a smaurai lover really wants to play ;)

[ August 01, 2002, 11:59: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

17. vegetalai Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

yeah i tried that but its kinda turd so went for the closet thing to a samurai that doesnt suck so i went for the paladine

18. Arutha Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

What "makes the most sense in the game" is to play a human.
    Bhaal's avatar (when not the Slayer) is a human, and hum... let's say I have access to sources that informed me that your character's mum was neither an elf nor a an orc nor a dwarf nor a gnome nor a halfling.
    So for plot consistency, you have to play a human.

19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    When you go to ToB with a non-human character, like a halfling, you no longer worry about plot consistency ;)

PS: vegetalai - as for the kensai - when understood well and played properly he is a very powerful char. It's of course way easier to play an armored paladin. However, there is a reason why there are quite a lot of kensai fans around. And it's well possible to get the AC of a kensai down to -6 or even lower. And that isn't really that much of a problem since a kensai almost always hits first.

[ August 01, 2002, 13:20: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

20. Arutha Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Ragusa, if you want to discuss the Kensai / AC question, I'm making a post in ToB forum since that involves discussing ToB material, which is against forum rules.

On this forum, I'll just say that in SoA the Kensai seems indeed perfectly viable.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.