1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best PC CRPG ?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Klorox, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I absolutely love BGII, but I want to try something a little different.

What CRPG would you recommend, while still in a fantasy type setting?

2. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Daiblo 2, although I'm sure you've played that to death.

I've heard amazing things about Planescape: Torment.

A lot of people like Morrorwind. I don't, personally, but that's just me.

3. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well, if it's a fantasy setting then the best PC RPG has to be either Planescape:Torment or Geneforge 1/2. They're really good, and the Geneforge series is extremely open-ended.

However, if you won't mind a Post-Apoc setting, then the best PC RPG of all time is Fallout, hands-down.

4. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Arcanum! That game totally kicks ass!

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

GeneForge?

6. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Ultima VII: The Black Gate, without question.

IMO, only Ultima VII: Serpent Isle and Planescape: Torment have ever come close to it.

Morrowind's supposed to be good, but, like Mystra's Chosen, I personally don't enjoy it.

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Planescape: Torment hands down. It's a game and novel at the same time.

8. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Arcanum, if you are looking for a total RPG immersion and are a sub-quests fan.

9. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

If you like non-linear games give Morrowind a try - better still the gold/game of the year edition (has the 2 addons).
    It isn't the easiest game to get into, to start with - but once I did I enjoyed it thoroughly.

10. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Morrowind rocks! Another series I like is the Gothic series. Unfortunately, the people who designed the controls were on crack at the time, though Gothic 2's controls were slightly improved. And they have some bugs.

Planescape is a masterpiece. Arcanum has sub-quests and side-quests up the wazoo, and is pretty good, as long as you play the magick route. Diablo 2 is always fun.

Are you absolutely sure you aren't interested in any non-fantasy games? Because Jagged Alliance 2 is great, as are the Fallout games. Heck System Shock 2, and Deus Ex are also great non-fantasy rpgs.

edit: One I forgot that's really good, but underappreciated, is Sanitarium. Freaky weird game. Not exactly an rpg, but play it and then tell me you weren't sucked into the story.

[ October 20, 2004, 12:15: Message edited by: Kam ]

11. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Planescape: Torment without any competition.

BG2 comes in as a (very close) second, along with Ultima VII.

Ultima Underworld I is the best first-person RPG I've ever played.

The Dark Sun CRPGs by SSI were very enjoyable too. I still have very fond memories of the first.

And of course there's the Might and Magic series :D
    For more details see my mini-review of 6 at http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/15/1210.html#000013
    The entire series is excellent (except for 9, which is average, and 2, which is BAD)

12. Rednik Gems: 21/31

I agree with Kam, Jagged Alliance 2 is a great choice as well. The demo is pretty good too.

13. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Icewind Dale!! What's the matter with you guys? Oh...unless you already played that... :hahaerr:

Diablo is too Diablo-ish :p . Its hack'n'slash...boring.

Get Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, Fallout, Fallout 2, and if you can find any copies of it, Septerra Core. That was really fun RPG.

14. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I agree with Kam about Arcanum, just not with the magick part. I played a gun toteming dwarven smith and would have kicked any wizards butt :p

Fallout and Planescape are both on the list but if you haven't play the best of all: Baldur's Gate I. I noticed many players of BGII here on SP haven't played I before and that's a big shame.

15. Rednik Gems: 21/31

I actually think Baldur's Gate I is better than the BGII in both setting, tone and storyline, but that's just me. The TuTu does the game a lot of good too.

16. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well *if* you haven't played BG I *highly* recommend it, and although I haven't played it myself I've heard a lot of good about TuTu.
    Also I enjoyed Morrowind immensely for dozens if not hundreds of hours but it's vital you get it fully patched up as the 'as is' version is extremely buggy.
    PS:T is good, but you musn't care too much about combat.
    IWD2 is good, but you musn't care too much about anything *but* combat.
    :borg:

17. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Memories of Might & Magic almost bring tears to my eyes. MM6 namely, and maybe 7 as well. MM8 wasn't it, MM9 was strange. Don't know about MM before 6 - can't get those anywhere.

However, it was Fallout 2 that was my first RPG. And was it great! Might even call it the best one.

BG series, well... We will probably agree that BG1 had a different feeling than BG2. In fact, I believe BG2 took much from Icewind Dale. Again, I like both styles. Speaking of IWD already, IWD1 moved me a lot. Perhaps it was hack & slash without all so much dialogue, but it had some of that old-school feeling you could find in Might & Magic, for example. IWD2 wasn't so great. Not great, but it lackluster when compared to IWD1 or BG series.

Surprisingly, I thought about KotOR, too. It's too short for the best one, but if it were twice longer, without losing any quality, it would score the top. I just love this game.

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I just finished KotOR, and I didn't think it was too short. Maybe it was just so good it felt short to you :)

I really enjoyed it immensely. I played a Scoundrel/Sentinel and always wore light armor and took no Jedi powers that had armor restrictions. The Force Wave power was fantastic! :)

19. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For me, tie between KoToR and Baldur's Gate 2 w/ToB. It used to be BG2 in a landslide, but KoToR simply blew me away. My only complaint is there aren't enough character creation options (and most of the character faces look dumb), but it's an immensely fun game. The jury's still out on whether replayability is going to be worth a damn or not, as I'm starting my 2nd go-though right now.

Actually, that said, BG2 wins the pot. That thing is a replayability machine.

edit - I see a lot of rave reviews for Arcanum. Are you guys serious? I found it downright unplayable. Can't stand that game, and since I payed full price for it (like a dumbass) I've tried to start it up and give it a real try about 4 times now, and I can't get past the first area. Voice acting, graphics, combat system....ugh. Digital bowel movement if I ever saw one.

Am I alone here?

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Arcanum was good because of the story. I'm not surprised you don't like it if you never got out of the first area.

I do agree the combat system wasn't the best, and the game was way off on balance. Really hard at first, laughably easy later on. But the story was pretty good, and I had a lot of fun playing it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.