1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best of '07

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by AMaster, Dec 17, 2007.

1. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Which books were the best of the year? If you want to be a bit broader and tackle the best books you read this year, rather than were released this year, be my guest. Or, like, my guest at Tal's place. Or...something. I didn't read all that many new releases, so this should be shortish (which is irritating; I'm trying to distract myself from finals, dammit).

Richard K Morgan - Thirteen/Black Man (US and Rest of World titles, respectively): almost guaranteed to annoy Red Staters (the term 'Jesusland' gets thrown around a lot). Politics aside, this is Morgan's strongest work to date--and that's saying a lot. Sex, violence, race, genetics, social commentary...what's not to like?

China Mieville - Un Lun Dun: Best young adult fantasy of the year? Almost certainly. Mieville's penchant for throwing out more weird stuff in one book than most fantasy authors come up with in a whole series is still here, and still quite amusing. Took about 70 pages to hook me, but once it did, I was in love. There are ninjas who are also garbage bins. They're called binjas. One of the protagonists acquires a pet milk carton. She names it Curdle. One of the most threatening critters is called a Black Window and is actually rather creepy. If any of that makes you smile, go read this (paperback should be out in January). If you haven't tried Mieville, you really ought to (FWIW, my reaction when my friends tried to convince me to read this was, 'that sounds stupid'. I was wrong).

Oh, yes, and he upends a few genre conventions.

Steven Erikson - Midnight Tides: At this point I'm a raging Erikson fanboy. I quite liked it.

Scott Lynch - Red Seas Under Red Skies: If you liked Lies, you'll like this. Would be better than Lies were it not for a cowardly ending. Still, it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Jacqueline Carey - Kushiel's Justice: Kushiel is still going strong. A worthy series, though most emphatically not for everyone; flowery language and sexuality abound.

Stuff that I enjoyed but wouldn't really make a 'best' list:

Elizabeth Bear - Undertow: Would have liked it more were it not for the alien PoV segments. Blood and Iron was significantly better.

Carrie Vaughn - Kitty Takes a Holiday: If you like Dresden, (early) Anita Blake, Kim Harrison, or the Garret Files, you'll probably enjoy this series. Certainly a cut above the typical 'urban fantasy'.

Patricia Briggs - Blood Bound: Ditto

2. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Oh god. My best books for this year? Out of the 30+ new ones I've read? Thats a tough one.

Must love dragons: Stephanie Rowe
    Storm of the Dead-The Lady Penitent BK2: Lisa Smedman
    Kitty takes a Holiday: Carrie Vaughn
    Changeling: Yasmine Galeorn
    Maximum Ride-Saveing the world and other extream sports: James Patterson

And last but not least...

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- J. K. Rowling (did I really need to put her name down :hmm: )

Bearing in mind this is not everything I thought was great this year. There is a LOT more

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    The only book I read that came out this year was The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert. It was OK.

4. bugmenot Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Charles Stross, Halting State.
    Warren Ellis, Crooked Little Vein.
    Kushiel, check.
    P.C. Hodgell, To Ride a Rathorn actually is of last year's crop, but as it may be a decade between books I gladly give her a pick of this year.

Excellent books, all of them.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Agreed! I really liked that one as well. But I was disappointed by The Bonehunters. Other books I read this year that were really good, but not necessarily released this year:

Bernard Cornwell - The last Kingdom, A Pale Horseman, Lords of the North, The Archer's Tale, Vagabond and Heretic. All these books are excellent.

Stacy Schiff - A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France and the Birth of America. Ben Franklin was a genius (but we all know that).

Al Gore - The Assualt on Reason. More an assualt on the media "villians." And not that they don't have it coming.

Disappointments:

Robin Hobb - Forest Mage

Tad Williams - Shadowplay

Steven Erickson - The Bonehunters

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    My son is absolutely devouring this series. He got the third book for Hanukkah and he just can't put it down.

7. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Bonehunter - Steven Erikson
    Forest Mage - Robin Hobb - I just picked this one up the day before yesterday and I must say that It completely ruined what I had planned on doing. Cancelled plans to go out with some friends because I couldn't put the damned thing down.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.