1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best level to dual?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Eyebreaker7, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I'm making a Bounty Hunter that I'm going to dual to another class (probably Mage). I know Fighter classes switch at level 13 (if you want to get the extra bonuses that is), but at what level should I switch to a Mage?
    What level should I dual ANY class? Not just the Fighters :)

2. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There's really no magic number, in the end it's all about getting the most abilities/bonuses out of your current class before dualing. Example: the reason why many people recommend that fighters and rangers dual at 7, 9 or 13 is because you get an extra 1/2 attack at levels 7 and 13, and you get an extra proficiency point at level 9.
    Note that while classes generally gain extra bonuses at odd-numbered levels, many kits gain extra bonuses at even-numbered levels.

I'd suggest dualing at 9, 13 and 15 for a Bounty Hunter. 9 gives you an extra proficiency point and x4 backstab, 13 gives you x5 backstab and an upgraded special trap effect (slow->paralyze) and 15 gives you an extra proficiency point. The problem with dualing at 13 and 15 is that it takes a lot of XP to get a mage to level 14 or 16, despite the fact that getting to level 15 with a thief is easier than getting to level 13 with a fighter.
    Personally I'd dual at 13 for the x5 backstab.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  3. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

If you want to go ahead with this, I second Paracelsi.

However, from a power perspective, any dual class that isn't Fighter -> X is in general going to be relatively weak. I view Thieves and Priests (except for the Totemic Druid) as basically auxiliary classes, with the main power in the party coming from Fighters and Mages; ignoring the latter, this is primarily due to Fighters' ability to gain Grandmastery. Dualling F -> X means you can still gain GM, even under the new class! Plus by dualling from Thief, you're missing out on Use Any Item.

The only slightly redeemable substitute as a class from which to dual is, in my opinion, the Swashbuckler; this is pretty much because the Swashie is already a fairly good fighter. Or, as a way to beef up a Mage slightly, any Thief kit and dualling asap will allow the Mage to use a Short Bow to deal a little more combat damage.

However, this is all moot, in my honest opinion. By missing out on Fighter HLAs (unless you dual ridiculously late in the game, or sacrifice hit points or usage of a wide variety of weapons), all dual classes will in general be inferior, in the late-game, to a select group of class combinations.

Of course this only applies to those playing with a team; for soloers there are many dual-class builds that could reach insane levels of power, e.g., Priest of Lathander 21 -> Mage 23 would be pretty ridiculous.

4. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    What is so insanely different than Aerie?

I thought about not being able to get the Use any item this morning as I got up. I love that ability. It is so insanely overpowered IMO.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Bounty hunter is cool but the traps really help survivability at low and mid levels. At high levels the HLA traps overpower everything else.

Dual classing from a fighter gives you higher hit points, proficiencies, and the ability to hit an opponent more often (if you take enough levels). IMO the hit points are the main reason to dual; especially for a mage.

For other class combinations multiclassing rules. You don't get the kits but the kits are minor compared to multiclassing.

6. MrMermaid

MrMermaid Reality is merely an illusion, albeit persistent Resourceful

In fact, the Cleric 21 -> Mage 23 is weaker than Aerie (no Chain Contingency with Priest HLAs!), although she has less HP. Like I said, I'm not a fan of dual-classing, although notable mentions must be made for: Berserker -> Cleric or Druid, since that gives you an invaluable combination of Rage and Divine Magic; also Kensai -> Thief, for combining Kai with Backstabbing; Kensai -> Mage for Kai and for reaching higher-level spells quicker than F/M; or Wizard Slayer -> Thief, for the permanent Miscast Magic and eventual UAI. Late-game power lies with the Sorcerer, Barbarian, Wild Mage (which you can't dual to!), Inquisitor or Weimer's Anti-Paladin, Blade, Totemic Druid, and some multi-classes: Cleric/Ranger, Cleric/Mage, and any of the 2-class Fighter-based multis.

I hasten to add some remarks. Firstly, the above only holds for parties; soloing is a different game, where you get to high levels so quickly you breeze through the early parts, get all the best items and beat everything using the Staff of the Magi or Carsomyr. Secondly, this is simply the view I've built up from many years of playing this game, it's by no means the only viewpoint on powergaming in BG2! Thirdly, I've assumed you are playing with the vanilla XP cap in place: your tactics could change entirely if you've removed it.

I love it as well. :D In my current BGT game I have both a Bard (a Chorister from...Song and Silence, I think) and a F/T multi. Looking forward to when they hit three million!

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I found the multiclassed cleric/thief to be insanely powerful as well. Soloing just got boring (I was too tempted by Use Any Item):

Robe of Vecna + Amulet of Power = Extremely fast casting.

Vampire? Turn undead (vampire explodes). Every vampire on the screen. I just turned on Turn Undead and walked around.
    Lich? Turn Undead (lich explodes). Even Kangaxx.
    Dragon? Spike trap and Implosion.
    Any particular baddy? Set any trap and then cast Harm (it help to lower their resistance first with a beneficial spell).
    Backstabs were awesome ... followed by Sanctuary.

8. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    What do you mean by that? Am I missing something? Lol.
    The level 50/50 with an 18 Con (doesn't matter past 16 I know) Only has 159 HP?! Talk about weak. Lol. But they do get a ton of spells to protect themselves at least.
    I just checked and a Cleric alone has 170 max HP at level 50 so I guess Aerie isn't to bad off :)

I've never soloed. I don't know how people do it. To damn hard enough with an entire party :)

Looks like my level cap is 50/50 for a Cleric/Mage. I've got a couple mods:

G3 Fixpack
    Weimer's Item Upgrade
    Weimer's Solaufein
    G3 Tweakpack

One of them must jump the level cap :)

---------- Added 0 hours, 3 minutes and 11 seconds later... ----------

Where do you find the 3 Liches to get Kangaxx to kill for "The ring!"?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    A cleric --> mage dual class has more HP than a cleric/mage because, for the first ten or so levels (which is where HD matter most in BG2), the character is earning them at the D8 cleric rate rather than the D8/D4 average for a multi-class. That averages to roughly 2 more HP a level for the first part.

The rest of the comment had to do with the fact that a multi-class character draws HLAs from both classes where a dual class character doesn't (unless you dual after getting HLA's in your initial class, in which case you have a couple, but you don't get to continue picking from the initial class HLA pool once you dual anyway).

One of the best things about Aerie (or any C/M multi) is that you can load up contingencies and or triggers with both cleric and mage spells.

As for Kangaxx, there are two other liches you need to get through, one in the sewers and one in the bridge district. They give you the body parts for Kangaxx's head.

BTW - level 50 is ridiculously overpowered and there isn't enough experience available to come close to that if you are playing a party anyway.

10. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    I can't believe I've never tried that before. Maybe I never played to high enough level to get the chain contingency on my Cleric/Mage I played. Sounds like I've got a new best friend. Lol.

Thanks. Looks like I have a new enemy as well :)

Most definitely. I was just checking to see what the cap is :cool:

11. T2Bruno

Media:
    The best thing about Aerie is "Chromatic Doom" after she hits 12th level. What an awesome cheesy combo.

12. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    "Chromatic Doom"?? What is that?

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Put doom and chromatic orb in a sequencer. Look up the effects of a 12th level orb and the benefits of the cleric spell doom.

Jeez . . .

14. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Sorry if I sound like a noob for not understanding all the lingo. Jeez...

15. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The cheesy part of "Chromatic Doom" is the sequencer itself. It allows you to successfully inflict slow-casting spells like Doom upon opponents with no risk of casting failure. Whatever you put into the sequencer is just the spell's normal effect. All those sequencer and simulacrum-type spells are game-breaking, nonetheless you should plan your party around them.

I prefer a heavily modded game, where I can amass multiple 'immune to timestop' items and go to town with a time trapping rogue.:p

By the way, I was wondering what the actual XP cap is for level 50... Maybe there's a cheesy exploit I can use to double my XP at some point down the road (a mod[DSotSC] tome that allows a single-class mage to double XP - Use Any Item allows anyone to use it, and Level 1 NPCs mod will match any recruited NPC to my protagonist's level).
    What's the cap value, in millions of XP?

16. T2Bruno

Media:
    In spite of the nickname, Chromatic Doom is done by putting Doom in the sequencer first and then Chromatic Orb. Use the sequencer and if it works you have a dead enemy -- it even works on dragons, albeit at low probability of success.

Spell Sequencers are great in general. You can set them to do any three low level spells which go off almost simultaneously (e.g., three magic missiles from a high level mage will ruin anyone's day).

Contingency is also a great spell to use.

17. dmc

Media:
    Sorry, the "Jeez" was for the cheesy potency of the sequencer, not your comment.

18. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    What mod do you use to get items that allow you to be "immune to timestop"? I've never heard of such a thing :)

After playing around with the in game cheats I have found that the xp cap looks like:

Cleric 94,500,000
    Mage 150,000,000

for level 50 each.

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 23 seconds later... ----------

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up. Much appreciated :cool:

19. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh, that's crazy! I think my Tome of the Grand Wizard will have to wait until late SoA before I can use it. Not that I really need to reach lvl50 with my all-multiclass party: They'll be leveling up many times, and with a HLA each time, they'll be spoilt for choice by lvl25 already.

Rolles has one, Improved Anvil has one too. Exnem's Vault adds intentionally OP items, and I think I saw 2 in there. There was a warrior ring, a robe, and I forgot the rest. There may be more, but 4 items will allow most of my party to operate in a Time Stop situation - remember that the caster of the spell or Time Trap will also be immune.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.