1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Guitarist

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Darhken Rahl, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Darhken Rahl Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

pretty much what the title says. I'd have to say joe satriani/steve vai

2. metal leper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Tough question - I'd have to go for Jason Becker as my all time favourite, but there are others (esp Vai) who I love almost as much

wait - shouldn't that be "whom I love"?

3. Varied Sundries Gems: 3/31

Dick Dale.

4. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Jaco Pastorius

5. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Probably some unknown dude who can finger pick some spanish/jazzy/fusion thing out of a worn out old acoustic with nylon strings. I've always found that absolutely amazing. I have enough trouble as it is shredding on a Jackson.

Best guitar player is Alexi Laiho. I enjoy all of his solos, and that's the difference between him and someone like Satch or Vai. John Petrucci is second.

6. Varied Sundries Gems: 3/31

Jaco is technically a bass player. But since the bass IS a guitar, I'll let it slide.

7. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Guitarists:
    • Timo Tolkki
    • Alexi Laiho
    • Michael Amott
    • Christopher Amott
    • Roope Latvala
    Bassists:
    • Marco Hietala
    • Sharlee D'Angelo
    • Jari Kainulainen
    EDIT: How about 'best singer', 'best drummer' and 'best keyboardist' threads too?

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Al Di Meola
    Lenny Breau
    Pat Metheny
    Joe Satriani
    John McLaughlin
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    David Gilmour
    Jeff Beck

Slightly off-topic, but in response to Xei Win Toh: best drummer would be one of any number of jazz drummers. But the best rock drummer is Neil Peart of Rush. Period.

9. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

My god! have you all forgotten teh king of all guitars? Wheres Jimi Hendrix?

10. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

If we speak about technique, then Ritchie Blackmore, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen and Eddie Van Halen. If we speak about feeling, Rory Gallagher (R.I.P.) and Gary Moore rule.

Of course Hendrix is beyond any comparison.

11. Darhken Rahl Gems: 3/31

Oh, also, if u have a favorite type ie finger picking, heavy picking, with a lot of articulations(hammer on's/pull offs)

12. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Most people have put down their favourite which isn’t the question right?

The best – (living guitarist)

Paul Gilbert

13. Ankiseth Vanir Gems: 3/31

14. metal leper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Sarevok- the "best" guitarist is hard to define, since music is a very subjective thing. You can talk about technique, in which case maybe someone like Rusty Cooley or Ron Thal/Bumblefoot is the "best" (though its still hard/impossible to judge). Trying to talk about the best in any other way is pretty meaning IMO

"Best" drummer - Atma Anur/Mike Portnoy
    "Best" bass player - Billy Sheehan/John Myung

Can you guess what my 3 choices for best keyboard player would be? ;)

15. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

@ metal leper
    One of them would be Jordan Rudess?

I'd throw in Janne Warman - heez good!

16. Erebus Gems: 16/31

I would still go for Hendrix, because he popularized so many new techniques, and helped "make" heavy metal.

17. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    John Tesh? Or maybe Liberace? :p

18. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

My favorite guitarist is without a doubt Popa Chubby, closely followed by B.B. King, Jimi Hendrix, Brian May, and Carlos Santana. I'm actually a bit surprised that those last two weren't mentioned here yet.

19. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

My favourite guitarist would without a doubt be Randy Rhoads. No one else can shred with that much feeling.

20. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Favourite guitarist is hard because I like so many, but I do know one guy (apart from me :D ) who is awsome at spanishy, acoustic guitar solo things...

Kyle Gass. Someone must know of him?

Hendrix is hard to beat IMO, when it comes to electric guitar though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.