1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Guitar Solo

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Sarevok•, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

So what is the best piece of guitar ever?

Not the fastest, not your favorite but the best! In your opinion ;)

It is hard to say, but I would say Machine Gun by Hendrix or perhaps Stevie Ray Vaughn’s cover of Hendrix’s Little Wing.

Heard of something really awesome by some obscure bands? Post it!

2. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Wow. Only one? I like your Hendrix pick (I just bought Band of Gypsies about 2 weeks ago), so I will offer my own:
    Jimi Hendrix' Voodoo Child

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I'd have to think too long about what the best is, but one that comes to mind is David Gilmour's (Pink Floyd) first solo in Comfortably Numb - short, but IMO very "tasty".

4. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I would have to make it a tie between two pieces of classic rock guitar

1. Star Spangled Banner / All Along the Watchtower / Improvisation by Jimi Hendrix...available on several different "Live at Woodstock" recordings. This mostly improvised work simply showcases Jimi's brilliance with a guitar. In recent years his entire set has been released, but the hour plus of jam can be rather tedious...stick with the specific songs I mentioned, eliminate all other stimulus and you will see what I mean.

2. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed by Duanne Allman on the ABB's "Idlewild South" recording. Actually, this disc has some fantastic work in other songs, like Revival.

When you listen to both of these pieces of music, you will understand why Rolling Stone named them, respectively, the number 1 and 2 greatest guitarists of all time.

There has been some good recent work, but as far as energy, ingenuity and creativity...it all seems to be in the past.

5. metal leper Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If instrumentals are allowed then Jason Becker - Altitudes

If you want a guitar solo in an actual song, then probably Megadeth - Tornado of Souls

6. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

The solo of Stairway always strikes a chord with me. The fact that Jimmy Page is my god does not man this is prejudice.

7. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

The solo in Whole Lotta Love is better than Stairways though.

Strung Out-Too Close to See, it's amazing, how fast it and ahow technical, t's just fun to listen to. Seeing it live is amazing as well.

An amazing Bass solo is the beginning of Maxwell Murder by Rancid. It shows just how good Matt Freeman is.

8. asphalt Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Anything by Kenny G.

9. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Please remember to give some props to Dickie Betts on In Memory of Elizabeth Reed! Duane and Dickie performed some amazing guitar work together.

If you want some more recent good slide work check out Derek Trucks and/or Warren Haines.

I'm a big Jerry Garcia fan myself...Tons of incredible guitar work...especially during the 1970s.

10. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well, I seem to be saying this alot but I don't really know a great deal about guitar solos or legendary guitarists but I will say that I'm a fan of Joe Satriani's even thoughI can't for the life of me recall any track names.

11. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman doing "Angel of Death" LIVE! Guess the band :p

12. Rogue Rasta Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Good stuff so far. Duanne, Dickie, Jimi, Warren all wailed or still do. It's hard to choose just one solo. But since Jerry has been mentioned I have to chime in.

Got a Dead show, 9/20/1970. During Sugar Magnolia Jerry is on, hittin' that 'wah' at the end of Sugar Mag like it's nobodies business. It's sick. Although it's tough to pick the best solo ever, I'll say that the above mentioned is one of the best.

13. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

John Butler Trio live. Anything Johnny B plays live is always one of the songs with a 20 miunute guitar improvisation solo. Its the grouse.

There is a fair bit of Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Cream (Eric Clapton) and AC|DC etc. that is good.

Mike Oldfield. Any solo by him is amazing.

14. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    i would have to say its from "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen

15. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] "Eruption" from Van Halen's first album has Eddie at his best!!!

"Cliff's of Dover" by Eric Johnson is a great instrumental guitar song.

Anything by Hendrix...

16. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Bohemian Rhapsody is not a great I can play it myself.

Cliff's of Dover is pretty awesome to!

Name it Sorvo, only Angel of Death I know was recorded by Thin Lizzy with Snowy White to who is another one of my favorite guitarists.

17. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Voodoo child
    Machine gun
    Purple Haze
    Stairway to Heavan

18. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Ozzy Osbourne - Mr. Crowley. Best guitar solo ever by the best guitarist ever. Randy Rhoads is God.

19. Khann Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

All great choices everyone.
    If I have to chose only one, it would be Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd. It' kinda long and sometime a bit cheesy, but it still the greatest.

20. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

@Sarevok - Angel of Death is a song by Slayer.

I'm throwing my vote in for Kirk Hammet - especially his solo on "One"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.