1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best D&D setting?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by The Fat Egg, Aug 6, 2001.

1. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

in your opinion what is the best dnd setting, my favorite is planescape, then forgotten realms, then dragonlance. what about you?

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I have to go with Dragonlance. The idea of having a Gold or Silver Dragon as a friend & mount is just too good to pass up.

This is also a world where Clerics have high regard, especially after the long exile of the gods.

One other irresistable trait is the characters and races that have been created in this world. The Knights of Takis (sp?), the Solomnic Order, Kenders, towers of magic . . . gotta love them all!

3. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

The only problem with Forgotten Realms, or any published world, is that all the players have access to a wealth of information about it. And even though good players will try to play their characters in such a way as to ignore their knowledge, to fully do this is almost impossible.
    This is why I prefer to create my own world. then you have control over what the players know. When they learn too much about the area they are in and are starting new characters you can have them start in an area they know very little about.

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Being a slightly older dnd player...My favorite realm was always Greyhawk! Powerful magic, the Circle of Eight, cool dungeons, epic style quests, fighting in huge battles!! It was fantastic! I still have all the campaign stuff from when you used to play.

Ahh, the good ole days!

5. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31

yeah i remember that too, although it was around only when i was very young. i also create my own worlds, recently i started a campaign in the world i made called Kakarox, a really unique place where magic has been driven into submission by the technologically advanced elves (yes it is quite bizzare i know).

6. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I have to say dragonlance. Just cause i liked it first...lol

It was the series that got me into d&d and fantasy novels. SO for me it was the best world. I loved the settings, the dragons, and of course the towers of high sorcery :)

7. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] Hmm...Birthright. The computer game that got me interested in D&D...also the game was very very crappy ( Mainly because every single goblin yell "Easy kiiiiilll! Wham! I'll get ya!)
    Anyway it is based on some really kewl ideas like scions, the awnsghelien (or something),
    the feuding kingdoms and the shadow world.
    Then there is Planescape. Very original.
    Besides the best game of all time is set in that world.
    And then dragonlance...the first fantasy books I ever read.

8. Guenhwyvar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Forgotten Realms...

9. Baldak Oakfist Gems: 15/31

With a name like Kitiara, Your love of Dragonlance is obvious to any who have read the books. That was a great series.
    Greyhawk was and still is a great world. I can remember many an adventure there, my brother uses Greyhawk.

10. Gopher thighs Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Greyhawk brings back memories....anyone remember Erehli-Cinlu (not sure of my Drow spelling!) and the bad old days of meeting pit fiends as wandering monsters in the city streets?? The slavers series was pretty good too, as I remember - the final battle with what was left of the 9 under the erupting volcano trying to get the hell out of the city whose name escapes me...anyone remember it??

11. Relic Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Mine, in order, are Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Birthright, Mystara(the original basic and expert world), Planescape, Dragonlance.

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

The problem with a unknown world is that you don't know anything of where you are. A little bit strange for as an adventurer you should know at least some of the world where you live in.

I prefer a not to well-known area in Forgotten Realms or Middle Earth to play in.

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited August 13, 2001).]

13. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Headbanger, you do have a point. I usually give the players a map of the areas they'd know and and overview of history and culture. Most low level character would know a lot about the world anyway. They haven't really travelled around yet. Some it is more realistic for the players NOT to know the new area they are going into. I hate it when the players know as much about the world as I do. How would they have any knowledge of an area unless they had been there. You can tell them stories about a location and give them map (mostly currect) but didn't give them all the answer, keep it an adventure.

14. AntiMagicMan Gems: 1/31

Forgotton Realms.

The Baldurs Gate series inspired me.

15. Killer Dwarf Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Greyhawk! is the best by far i think.

16. gnollgus Gems: 1/31

I read the Dragonlance chronicles when they first came out, and loved them to death.I tried to run the DL series of modules, but after reading the books,it didn't do them justice. I got FR when it was first released, but soon after I went of AD&D totally, due to my frustration with the system.
    I would have to say Birthright, then Planescape for gaming would be my favourite published settings. Dragonlance wins for the Weis/ Hickman novels.

17. Mephiston Gems: 1/31

I'd still go for Dragonlance, but pre-fifth age.
    In my opinion, they ruined Krynn, taking the gods away. I just read the new novel, or at least I think it's the latest, where all the magic is being sucked away by ghosts all around spellcasters. It had some interesting possibilities, but I still feel like Krynn has lost it's soul. I've always felt the excellently put together and balanced pantheon in dragonlance made the setting so great

18. gnollgus Gems: 1/31

I agree Mephiston. It's kinda like coming home after a few years to find your neighborhood is completely changed and only a few of the people you know are still there.

19. Cullain Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Al-Quadim, by a mile, for me. I guess you could just place it under Forgotten Realms, but if you're going to count it as its own entity, easily my favorite. Nothing against the Forgotten Realms, or Greyhawk, or Mystara, etc., but it's pretty easy to work up a generic ancientGermany meets ancientFrance Tolkein fantasy world. But al-quadim was totally different, but worked as a D&D world. my 2 cents.

Cullain

[This message has been edited by Cullain (edited August 23, 2001).]

20. Liam Gems: 1/31

I loved forgotten realms from the day it was released in the mid-80's.

I call no other place home.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.