1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Console?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by the god, Mar 4, 2002.

1. the god Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] discussion/poll on the best console of all time!

if possible, provide reason(s) why, though don't base your choice solely on a single game :1eye: or a system's performance/power. :borg:

personally, my vote goes to the NES- because playability was the key and the selection of games was so diverse... duckhunt with zapper (:grin: -laughing dog)! three mario games! :alien: gradius (genre-defining side-scrolling shoot'em up)! zelda 1 and 2! i also think that the dreamcast was vastly underrated (soul calibur!) :square:

2. Findol The Swift Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] I think the best console would maybe be the gamecube. But I haven't tried a lot of other system's. But of the one's I have played, gamecube is the best. Reasons why? Probly because when I played the other systems, this one really stood out. The only bad thing is, out of the new ones, it's the only one that doesn't play dvds. (Probly becuase a dvd wouldn't fit) but other wise the games and the graphics are great:)

3. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I wish I could remember the name. This was in the late eigties/early nineties and for my birthday I got this brilliant Thailandian console with 312 games on it. Out of these around 30 were very good and 10 were excellent. The rest were a bit shit but still playable - never lack variety. Ahhh... those were the days I wish I could remember the name ...

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Gamecube will beat everything we have seen so far. It will be the most powerful console ever, and you can carry it in your pocket (yes, it is smaller than a Xbox pad)!

5. the god Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] :lol: my schlong is smaller than an x-box pad, and that's saying something. :toofar:

6. GuarMar487 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Findol The Swift- GAMECUBE SUX!! its worse then PS2, which SUX!!! XboX is the best systen hands down, its the most powerful, and didn't DVD playback on its system, you have to buy a remore and receiver for it, that way they could concentrate on the games. The XboX has a Hard Disk, so you don't have to worry about a memory card, which they also offer. AND XboX allows you to copy tracks from CD's in to soundtracks so that you could play them during the games!!!! XBOX OWNS PS2 AND GAMECUBE!

7. Findol The Swift Gems: 5/31

GuarMar, I haven't been able to play the Xbox. I didn't know it was so good. I'll make sure to though.

8. the god Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] GuarMar487, don't you read posts other than your own?

for a start we're talking about GAME consoles here. not DVD playback, not copying CDs onto a game's soundtrack. game quality, longevity and FUN! say it with me now, p-l-a-y-a-b-i-l-i-t-y.

your back-up arguements consist of this or that 'sux'.

you sux. :mad:

9. [​IMG] I agree. But I'm sure no-one want this topic to turn into a slagging-match, so back on topic...

Playstation -the original. Huge third-party support for games development = very diverse range of games. And because it was so popular everywhere, nearly everyone had one, so there was plenty of opportunity to swap titles amongst friends, saving money!

[Go read your mail. I've removed your posting privileges until you change your name so that it doesn't throw off the formatting - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited March 07, 2002).]

10. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

*shudder* here we go, the wars have TRULY started, "grab your pads marines!"
    ok 3 next-gens....
    let's start with the Xbox- good graphics, top notch sound, quiet machine despite it's size. but it's got simply NO playability. pad is awful (but microsoft are remaking the controller) and it is very badly designed. To be franck sony and Nintendo must be laughing up their sleeves.

Gamecube- nice little machine this...controlers pretty good, it's quiet and it's small, only let down is shortage of good games and no DVD, but you could just buy the panasonic gamecube..

PS2- in my opinion, the best of the bunch. (only just beats gamecube on account of games and DVD)it's the best looking, it plays the best and although it has a slower computer in it, it's graphics still look just as good as the other two's. The games are by far greater than the other two's and it also has the best controller. It can go vertical and horizontaly, and it's VERY quiet... everyone knows it (even if they don't like it) it is and always will be (until PS3) THE KING!!!

[This message has been edited by Z-Layrex (edited March 17, 2002).]

11. C'Jakob Guest

I like to kick it old school :rolleyes: - the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

12. zaknafein Guest

of next gen I'd say gamecube. I dont care if i havnt played it or not cause it hasnt even come out yet. N64 is good, its got better games than the PSX

13. Findol The Swift Gems: 5/31

I agree z-layrew. gamecube does have a small let down wit the DVD and games.

14. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Xbox costs almost twice as much as PS2 or GamCube (and not counting the new DVDs you need after the machine has scratched them), the graphics are good (but very laggy, my friend play a snowboard game which never was any higher than 25 fps), but the price, size and performance is terrible. Buy a GeForce 3 for half the price of Xbox, and your computer almost matches it (Xbox also uses a normal IDE ATA-33 harddrive and a normal IDE DVD drive, which isn't the fastest thing around).

PS2 got better games than Gamecube? Yeah right :rolleyes:. Have you ever seen Biohazard, Starfox Adventures, Luigi's Mansion or the new Mario game? That's the way to make proper graphics, and you can bet the gameplay will have the same level as earlier Gamecube games as well.

15. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] How can you say that GameCube has better games than PS2?

I'll put GTA 3, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2, and Final Fantasy X up against any 5(or 6...or 7) games offered by the GameCube.

16. comicspaul Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I have to put in my vote for the PS2, after all who can argue with the fact that its three machines in one.

PS1 games are playable, so no need to throw your collection of PS1 titles, who could bear to part with such gems as the Final Fantasy series, Vandal Hearts 1 & 2, Vagrant Story and Metal Gear Solid.

DVD player which saved me, at least, from having to shell out for a separate DVD player.

The excellent PS2 games, Dark Cloud is cool, Grand Theft Auto III is one of the best games ever and I am eagerly awaiting Final Fantasy X

That's my opinion anyway, for whats its worth.

17. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31

'Eagerly awaiting Final Fantasy X'?

FFX has been out for months...you can go out and get it now, if you want.

Of course, if you are not in North America, don't listen to me. I don't just mean about FFX either--don't ever listen to me.

18. the god Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] *sigh* do people not read previous posts anymore? ;) obviously there are economical benefits to having a system that has DVD-playback, but that's not the topic!

which is the best games console? after CJ's comment, i'm looking forward to going back home to hit the original mario cart on the snes! :D

19. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] The deviant mage's comment about putting the PS2 titles against any 5 gamecube games is dead right. I recently purchased final fantasy 6 (as i love every single one of them) and it came with the FF10 demo. On account of living in U.K i can't get hold of the game till may 1st. But the moment i played the demo i fell in love with it. I cannot see any single gamecube game passing this one. FF10 looks even better than FF11!!!
    (which i have a video of) gamecube is good yes but alot of people are going from the hype. most Europeans havn't even seen a gamecube in the flesh yet let alone played on it. Microsoft is already worried about the X-box's poor amount of sales and sadly i think the gamecube isn't going to do much better in europe. :hahaerr:

[This message has been edited by Z-Layrex (edited April 01, 2002).]

20. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] I think the PS2 is the bette rbuy simply for the games library. My friends all have PS2s so I bought an X-BOX and I'm just waiting for some good games other than HALO to come around, but I think they will. The graphics on ther BOX are great and are up to the Cube and PS2 if not superior IMO. I've rented about every game thaqts come out except for HALO which I bought, and I think they are lame. But, these games like "Wreckless" and "Spyhunter" don't do it for me no matter what platform they're on, there just isn't any emersion. The fun for the BOX starts when "Knights of the Old Replublic" (Star Wars RPG by Bioware), the LOTR RPG (exclusive rights), Morrowind, Robin Hood, Brute Force, a few other driving games like Maximum Chase all come out. Then we'll have a better idea what the BOX has to offer in comparison to the others. A lot is made of the BOX's capabilities, but there is no doubt that a PC can beat them all anyway. The graphics do seem better than the PS2 though, in my experience. As for the Cube, I can't stop thinking that its for a younger audience. Nintendo games tend more toward the cartoony than the real, but I don't know so much about whats happenning in the Cube scene these days. I would rank as follows:
    1.) PS2: On par capabilities, proven technology, great games library, and you can play PS1 games if chosen.
    No real drawbacks here.
    2.) X-BOX: An investment in future development and game support, which I think is happenning, great capabilities for a console.
    Drawbacks: Small game selection, a lot of them are crap. Who plays all these snowboarding games anyway? The damn thing is huge, and the controllers are huge, too. Its like it was designed for giants. Its also expensive. $300 to start, plus extra for another controller and more for the DVD Remote. We'll see.
    3.)Game-Cube: Small and capable. Nice price.
    Drawbacks: Nintendo style games, but there is some crossover and new stuff.

Edit: Like I said, there is new stuff. Id on't follow Nintendo myself, so I really don't know.

[This message has been edited by Orkrist the Cleaver (edited April 05, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.