1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best Companions?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Cernak, May 15, 2005.

1. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

This surely has been asked before, but who do you think are the best companions in this game?

My own favorites at the moment--I haven't finished--are Morte, Annah, and Fall-From-Grace, mostly because of their asides to each other.

[ May 16, 2005, 00:08: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Got to be Dak'kon - the whole Circle of Zerthimon story is very well done.

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Dak'kon, easily. Morte adds comedy value, true, but the story of Dak'kon is so well done. Second place would go to Annah; love that tail! :p

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Basically all the fighter classes. Mages and thieves aren't that important, although one thief could clean up every corridor if (s)he gets a chance to run away/hide/backstab/repeat. So fighter protagonist, Morte/Dak'kon, Annah, and Fall-From-Grace are a pretty good combination. (Even though I'm sure that powergamers would kick out FFG without second thought and replace her with one of the aforementioned fighters.)

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There aren't really any "best" ones. The party I ended up with had Dak'kon, Morte, Annah and Nordom. Ignus is a must-have if you're playing evil. Vhailor I didn't even notice when I played, but I'd probably take him along for the sake of curiosity at least for a while. FFG I had for a while, but I replaced her with Nordom. Still, I'd say the core should be Dak'kon, Morte and Annah - just for the sake of their involvement with the main storyline. Any others are optional.

6. humPah Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I agree that there really aren't best ones. All PC:s are very well created, and they all are special.

7. Gro'Mul Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

A mage protagonist, Dak'kon, Morte, Annah, Fall-From-Grace and Nordom have formed my last party.
    Especially when TNO and Dak'kon reach higher mage levels they kick arse!

8. Rubel Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yes...for me, it's impossible to choose characters on the basis of pure game effectiveness, since they all have their talents and (more importantly to me) their storyline reasons to stay in the party. Dak'kon, Morte, Annah, and Fall-From-Grace are all core in my book.

9. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I really liked this game (surprise!). Not too many npc's to choose from...but they were all written better than any in the Baldur's Gate saga.

I took my level up in fighter, thief and mage -- but mainly fighter. Annah and Dak'kon are necessary for shifting easily between professions.

I really like the npc interactions. Vhailor and Ignus were boring to me (although Vhailor is helpful if you're good and want the sword). It was far more interesting to talk Vhailor to death. I also found Dak'kon boring, but he really added a lot to the plot.

Morte and Nordom are great together -- the 'Annah's pillows' bit was great as was the bit about Annah's clothing. Of course, Morte and Annah provided amusement as well. FFG was my favorite character -- she had great dialog with everyone (even the jealous Annah). Once again, Morte proved to be the best with FFG talking about Vecna.

I really didn't need anyone else's firepower during the game. Morte's taunt skill was by far the most useful thing any of the npc's brought into the party. Although Annah did kill the demon from Moridor's box by herself.

The endings with Dak'kon, Annah, Nordom and FFG were great (especially FFG). Morte at the end was also very good. Getting the good ending and raising everyone was especially good with FFG.

10. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Whatever I do and whatever path The Nameless One takes, Morte, Dakkon and Grace are the core of my party. The others i can take or leave, although Anna and Vhailor are always good choices. I just love Vhailor's "YIELD!" critical sound. :D

I always have Ignus for at least alittle while if I'm a mage just so I can get his spells and chat to him, but I occasionally take him full time if I'm evil or if I feel I'm lacking magic power.

I couldnt really get on with Nordom, though, and it didnt feel like it was worth the effort it took to find him. I'll have to play with him a bit more in the future.

11. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I agree that the core characters -- Morte, Daakon, and Annah -- are the best to keep around, both for the story and for raw power. Morte's taunts are useful, he's immune to alot of damage, and he packs quite a punch with the right teeth (?). Daakon and Annah have the great advantage of taking tattoos to boost stats, etc, which none of the other NPCs can do. I found Ignus too annoying to keep, and ended up leaving him right where I found him. Nordrom can be amusing, but he's often a liability in combat. Vhailor is also surprisingly weak, and like Ignus, can grate on the nerves. FFG is nice for story reasons, and the priest spells can be useful, but you have to be careful to keep her out of combat.

I've played through PS:T twice, and ended up playing it almost exactly the same way: lawful good, with ~13 levels in fighter (the THAC0 and HPs stay with you whatever class you play), ~10 in thief (they're practically free in terms of XP, they give you extra HPs, and it can be fun to use stealth and backstabbing at various points of the game), but mainly playing as a mage. I also brought the same NPCs through to the end (Daakon, Morte, Annah, and FFG). This was despite my intention to play the second run thru as a CE pure class fighter...

12. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Better than in BG1, but worse than in BG2 -not enough depth and no romances.

13. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Less depth than BGII NPCs?

You did talk to Annah and FFG? They're your two romances. As well as the crossover with the Ravel dialogue. They've got as much dialogue as the BGII romances, but they were just artificially spaced out.

And besides the BG-style banter you get as standard, each NPC has a huge sprawling dialogue that takes on average twenty minutes each to get through - Dak'kon has a bloody novel. And you say there's less depth?

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The only BG character that even came close to any PS:T characters was Jaheira (maybe Minsc). No BG character was even close to Morte or Dak'kon in dialogue (either in quantity or quality).

As far as romance -- no, your character does not get laid, there is no 'special' romance music playing annoyingly in the background, and there is no special locket to obtain. But both Falls-From-Grace and Annah have incredibly written scripts for the end of game (as RQ mentions, their devotion is easily that of any romance in BG). Oh, yes -- you do get to kiss Annah (and she gets some nice bonuses for it).

15. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

My core party is allways the same. FFG, Dak'kon, Morte and Annah. That never changes, I have never completed or even played the game without taking all these with me at some point. I find all of them more or less essential for the plot. Vhailor, Ignus and Nordom are the trio I choose my last NPC from. My choice is usually Vhailor since I find him to be the most interesting and well written character of the three. Ignus is just too mad for me and there is nothing in him for the plot as far as I know, Nordom is just a Modron with a few funny dialogues but overall I find him just to be too dull and plain boring. Somehow from him I get the feeling that he is not entirely complete. He has no place in the plot and no real story to tie him together with the Nameless One.

He has a use though, if I ever want to aquire and complete Mantuok's Book he is the one who ends up sold to slavery. ;)

16. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

@ Rhetorical Q & T2Bruno

Yes, whatever they say is well written, but there isn't enough of it. They hardly ever speak up like in BG2 and those few dialogs they have trigger only at special events. No matter how good it is, it won't be any good if they play mute 95% of time.

17. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Eh, you refer to the random banters in BG2 ? and whatever passed for romoances and such. I was never impressed by BG2's dialoges, it was mostly generic stuff. When an NPC opened their mouth in PST i always knew it was gonna be something special, not just minsc yelling "Rangers and hamsters rock the world!" (although minsc is amusing and fun.)

And yeah they never speak up unless in an existing conversation, wich makes more sence to me. in Bg2 your forced to listen to all the banter of for ex Aerie that keeps on whining, if you dont want to listen to the npc's in pst whine, just dont click on them. that simple.

Once again i guess this is more a matter of taste, but i always felt that BG2 was more "random comments" and pst more about character. Had they made Dak'kon pop out random quote from Zerthimon he alone would have more random banter than entire BG2 npc's combined :p

18. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Read my tagline. ;)

A little modding know-how can take care of that oversight.

19. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Dak'kon: cool story, great fighter, good mage
    Vhailor: best fighter, but you get him too late
    Morte: Jan Jansen as a skull. Decent fighter
    Fall-from-Grace: not too interesting, but a good healer
    Annah: Part of the main story, but she sucks
    I never found Nordom, but the next time I play the game I will have him in my party

20. ethis123 Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Nordom is a must simply for his critical hit tag line "Maximally efficient strike" and his hilarious dialogue in the Fortress of Regrets. All the NPC's are pretty cool though, Vhailor showed up a bit late in the game and I hardly ever used him, although he does kick ass (but the fights are never that hard in the game anyway)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.