1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best cleric?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by AlexGK, Nov 15, 2002.

1. AlexGK Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Who's the best cleric from all the kits?I think this of Talos but he must be evil....

[ November 15, 2002, 09:20: Message edited by: AlexGK ]

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Depends on what your wants and needs are. Personally, I love the Battleguard of Tempus. They can not only cast clerical spells, but they've also got iirc 2 stars in Axe Mastery. Buffed with a couple of spells, they make excellent tanks.

Tempus (CG, N, CN, CE)
    Automatically gains Martial Weapon: Axe and Weapon Focus: Axe feats.
    Tempus' Strength 1/day (increase Strength by 6 for number of rounds equal to level)
    1st: Magic Stone, Bless
    2nd: Draw Upon Holy Might, Chant
    3rd: Prayer, Animate Dead
    4th: Blood Rage, Recitation
    5th: Champion's Strength, Chaotic Commands
    6th: Circle of Blades, Spiritual Wrath
    7th: Power Word: Blind, Summon Monster VII
    8th: Power Word: Stun, Summon Monster VIII
    9th: Power Word: Kill, Summon Monster IX

Check out the other Cleric Domains to see which domain spells you like best.

[ November 15, 2002, 09:43: Message edited by: Faragon ]

3. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i like the Demarch of Mask. it gives me mirror image, invisibility spells, and Executioner's Eyes.

don't be reluctant to use evil character, because..............
    spoiler
    at the end when madae uses Blasphemy, it will stun all the non evil character for a full round.

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    My favourites are clerics of Lathander, Helm, Tempus and Bane. Talos is cool too. All have some great special abilities.

A Morninglord of Lathander with free extra-turning feat and high charisma is extremely effective in some parts of the game. Very good healing ability too.

Battleguard of Tempus is nice due to the free axe proficiency, however, that advantage becomes a little poinless when you go for multiclassing with fighter levels. The strength enhancer ability is almost as good as a barbarians rage, yet not tiring.

Dreadmaster of Bane is very interesting, especially since he gains bonuses on enchantment spells. A very powerful class if you like to decapacitate your enemies.

Watcher of Helm also is a really nice class - with interesting domain spells and special abilities.

Stormlord of Talos is also a pretty interesting class with a high power potential. Very cool domain spells.

Generally all five classes have good domain spells. Depends on what you like, but all classes are very interesting to play.

5. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

Evil clerics can't convert spells to healing ones.That's why I don't like them.And turn undead don't give exp. :( Anyway how can you manage to give enough charisma to a piest to turn undead.He must have str\13 dex\con\char.... Even with int. 3 stll not enough points.

6. Grey Ghost Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Right now I am playing an evil party (this is a stretch for me) and I am using a Cleric of Bane. He gets some great dialogue options, but he is having a hard time keeping my guys healed.

Overall, I think from a "cleric" perspective Lathander is the best. Tempus is good as well, but Lathander just seems to match up best with what a cleric has always been in D&D-the undead slaying, party healing, guy or gal with a mace...

One good thing about using evil party members (clerics or not) is that darn Unholy Blight (and Blasphemy) have no effect! But you also do not get Holy Word which is a great spell to have.

7. Ragusa

Media:
    Oh yes, what again was the good counterpart of the unholy blight spell, holy smithe iirc - I wasnt able to find it anywhere in the game in the spell lists of my good clerics. Anyone here who has an idea?

8. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

holy word?

9. Ragusa

Media:
    No. Holy word is the counterpart of blasphemy.

10. AlexGK Gems: 7/31

Priest of ilmater gets it as lvl 4 domain

PS:Damn was I stupid when I chose priest of selune :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
    Is there ANY good domain spells for him?

[ November 15, 2002, 16:00: Message edited by: AlexGK ]

11. Master of the Void Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Clerics of Lathander also get Holy Smite at 4th :) and their fire spells rock for room sweeping, toss spirit of flame in and firestorm, web is my classic battle opener (snigger)

As for the clerics of Selune you right they generally suck - right up to the end, they are the only clerics who can summon "the Brothers" (Elemental Legion) now that is firepower!

The poor Druid just bends over, he gets all the elemental summoning spells but he doesnt have access to magic circle of protection- What were they thinking!

12. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Hmmm; I had a Battleguard of Tempus in my first party, but whenever I sent him in to back up the tanks in a melee/field medic type role, he just ended up dying all the time. In my current party I have a Rock Gnome Lorekeeper of Oghma/Illusionist who stays back and fulfills buffing/lore/missile roles, and who is supplemented by a Svirfneblin Monk of the Broken Ones/Painbearer of Ilmater, who fulfills field medic duties without getting beaten on due to her stellar AC. Pity she levels so slow. Ahh well; just you wait, HOF mode...

13. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Perhaps in PnP DnD the druid summoned elementals are not hostile? Like they were in BG2 and should damn well be in IWD2. The conjuration and elemental summoning spells in IWD2 suck compared to before in IWD and BG2... :mad:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.