1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Best backstabbing weapon?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ezmer, May 10, 2001.

1. Ezmer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm going to dual a fighter to a thief, I plan on giving her Mastery of a good backstabbing weapon, but I'm not sure where to put the points. Any thoughts?

BTW would it be better overall to dual a fighter to a thief or just go with an assassin? I'm wanting to be a deadly backstabber, but I'm worried that an assassin won't hit as often. How's the assassin's THAC0?

2. kasio Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

As far as i can remember assasins had no backstab mutiplyer. If you want to be deadly backstabber as you wrote above, forget about assasin.

3. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It has been talked over so many times, the majority says, that the best backstabbing weapon is the celestial fury. So give you DC char the katana grand mastery! It makes sense because the celestial fury is the best one-handed sword in the game/deals 1d10+3 dmg/, thieves can use it and it can be found early in the game in the guarded compound/Temple District/

No-no, Kasio...

Assasins do have backstab multiplier, they are killers after all!

Swashbucklers lack the backstabbing ability!

[This message has been edited by TIN_MAN (edited May 10, 2001).]

4. Ezmer Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

backstabbing with a katana?? that just seems wrong

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I get your concerns - IRL a katana is a really large knife, usually wielded with both hands .... however in BG-2 world is works fine.

This made me use my dc fighter-thiefs use daggers for this purpose (with grandmastery :D ), that was more roleplay for me and still damage enough for the most enemies worth to backstabb ... the game is as realistic as you play it.

And kasio: All thiefs, except the swashbuckler, get the backstabb damage multiplier (so get stalkers too). If you don´t get it, you llack traning or skill :D ;). I do proper backstabbing even with Imoen.

6. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

It is VERY important to get BEHIND your HUMANOID enemy. Thats all. I found it hard learning this as I Backstabbed everything in BG1. I have a screenshot of my thief backstabbing a green slime with a two handed sword.. Haha.. Good thing I came from behind :eek:

7. Lothar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hah! Coming from behind a green slime. Thats funny, because green blobs don't usually have discernible fronts or backs. Whatever.

8. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] You dont say :cool:

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited May 10, 2001).]

9. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

i agree... if u want to play this game.. and make it more fun.. stay in ur role...

when i backstab... I ALWAYS use the Shortsword of Backstabbing... seems the most apt after all

10. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

BLACKRAZOR...Could be the best weapon in the game...and awesome for an evil character.

11. Dauntalus Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I like using daggers. One in each hand, just seems apreopriate to me.

12. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

I use a longsword (sinc rapiers isn't included in the game) in one hand and a dagger in the other it looks really cool and although i use it mostly for swashbuckler it deals a nice amount of damage in backstab. But the best weapon for backstabbinjg is the short sword of backstabbing, since it deals a rather unhealthy amount of damge and has a speed factor of zero, i think it's pretty good

13. Avooch Dar Guest

I am a dual class berserker theif and i always use blade of the roses and the drinker to backstabb and to fight.
    i once did 132 points of damage with just the backstabb.

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I prefer single handed weapon style for backstabbing due to the improved chance for a critical hit and the AC bonus that comes in handy for a thief :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.