1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bernard Cornwell - Winter King - Review

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by The Kilted Crusader, Sep 9, 2005.

1. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell Rating 5 out of 5 stars.
    First volume of the Warlord chronicles
    Rating: Excellent

Bernard Cornwell became a renowned as an author with his first installment of his famous Sharpe series - Sharpes tiger. The series now spans twenty books and was made into a television series starring LoTR Boromir, Sean Bean. When he first moved away from the Sharpe books with his Grail Quest Chronicles people were sceptic as to what the result would be, but it turned into another great series of books en par with Sharpe.

Winter King is the first book in his Warlord Trilogy. The book begins with an old monk named Derfel, a Saxon, born in dark age Britain who stood with the Britons against the invading Saxons. He is visited by a young British princess who would like to know the story of a man he had thought alongside. Arthur.

From here on we read of Derfel's life from his childhood under the watchful eye of the druid Merlin to his growth to his man as he meets the legendary characters from the Arthur legend including Guinevere, Galahad, Lancelot, Tristram and more, all within the lice ridden filth and bloody war of Dark Age Britain.

The fact that the world around the tale is so real - the beds are filled with lice, the people are superstitious to the extreme, Derfel himself is scared of druid magic that he can never be sure is real or not, men fight in the constant push of swords and spears in the shield wall - is part of what makes this book so exciting to read.

The book moves forwards at a quick pace, the narrative being consistent and engaging throughout. As Derfel begins his tale, he writes of the birth of the High King Uther's grandson, Mordred, the next king of Dunmonia, the leading kingdom of Britain. From here on Derfel begins moving from his young life inside the comfortable childhood home of Merlin into that of a man as he is thrown into the hard warrior life style. It is at this time that he first meets Arthur, Uther's bastard. Throughout the book,they fight together in an attempt to protect Mordred's kingdom, battling the rival kingdoms of Britain whilst at the same time, seeking to unite them with the approaching Saxon invasion. In their fight, Derfel will travel across the length and breadth of Britain, the Saxon held east, the land of Brittany under pressure from the Franks and even take part in the famed quest for the Holy Grail.

Derfel himself is an extremely interesting character, who often finds it hard to keep to his own Moral compass and, at times, he finds it hard as to where his loyalties lie. Does it lie with his native people, the Saxons, his friends amongst the Britons, his King or to the oaths he has made?

Another important part of this book is the battle between religions. The pagans battling the Christians is a theme common throughout the tale, and indeed, the full series in which Derfel sees Britain become weaker as Christianity takes hold. Even though I am Catholic myself, I found myself rooting for the pagans ;)

If you read this book - and I hope you all will - you will find it hard to put down from the first page to the last. As always, Cornwell has written a wondrous book that burns on the memory long after you've finished that will always have coming back to re-read it again and again until you manage to get your hands on the sequels that follow named Enemy of God and Excalibur, both of which are equally great to read.

[ September 10, 2005, 19:03: Message edited by: The Kilted Crusader ]

2. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Great review, KC. I love reading historical fiction of any kind -- I'll be sure to pick this one up! :thumb:

3. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yeah, I agree. Good review, and I'll be sure to pick it up next time I see it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.