1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Belm give extra attack to main hand is a BUG!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by HeresiarchQin, Dec 21, 2003.

1. HeresiarchQin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

A while ago, I'd read many people say that if have Belm and Kundane equiped in the off-hand, your main hand will get an extra attack. I highly doubt that, because how the heck could the weapon on your left make your right hand hack faster? So went to the game, equipped Mace of Disruption + Belm on Minsc (with Boots of Speed on), and it showed 4 attacks per round. I went to hack something, the messages was like this: attack, (left) attack, attack, (left) attack...

So I got that Belm and Kundane gives extra attack ONLY to the off-hand if you put it on the off-hand. But I was too lazy to state it out, until...

Yesterday, I let my Swashbuckler (with Boots of Speed on) equip Daystar + Belm, and I watched him attack 3 times in a round. To my surprise, all 3 attacks are made by the main hand, instead of 1 from main hand, 2 from off-hand! Then I put off the Boots of Speed, tried again, this time I got attack, attack, (left) attack, attack, attack, (left) attack...

I went on testing, this time with Valygar. Without Boots of Speed, with 1 katana on his main hand, and Kundane on his off-hand, his attacks was attack, attack, attack, (left) attack, thus 1 round he does 3 main hand attacks and 1 off hand attack. Then I put the Boots of Speed on, and his attacks was attack, (left) attack, attack, (left) attack, thus each round he will use 2 times of main hand attacks and 2 times of off hand attacks...

So the whole result was clear: the Boots of Speed (which already have two bugs: 1. an extra 1/2 attack per round if you have attacks per round like 7/2, 5/2; 2. it screws up your speed factor), the extra attack bonus of the game engine, are screwed up together. Yay! :mad:

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Original Boots of Speed use the special version of the effect named Haste in the engine. This effect is similar to the spell Haste, but the problematic part is that the game engine can't resolve correctly meddling of the Haste effect with other effects that affect attack speed. This is why SPfixpack and other bugfix packs contain the fixed Boots of Speed where these boots allow such combinations correctly.

3. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

The Belm and Kundane weapons both use the Extra Attack on Main Hand effect, therefore this is not a bug.

4. HeresiarchQin Gems: 2/31

Extremist: thanks for your suggestion, I've manually fixed the Boots of Speed with Near Infinity, and now they don't give me those annoying trouble like delayed attacks, extra 1/2 attacks/round anymore. However, I've got a funny side effect: if I cast Haste/Improved Haste on someone with Boots of Speed on, he/she can move lightning fast because the 200% movementrate stacks with the Haste spell effect. Do you think it's a kind of cheesy? :D

Rastor: personally I think these weapons are originally supposed to give extra attacks just from themselves, besides it's really unrealistic that equiping a scimitar in your off-hand can make the main hand with a katana hack faster. I suspect the extra attacks on main hand given by off-hand weapon are actually another bug, made by the game engine itself, because it doesn't differ the main hand and off-hand when determining the "attack per round bonus".

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Actually, it can. There are seperate effects for 'extra attack on off hand weapon.' There's no known effect that makes the weapon check to make sure that the weapon only gives the extra attack on whichever hand it is equipped, but creating that effect is so easy that I think Bioware would have done it if they wanted it to be that way.

6. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Rastor, I'm pretty sure there is no off-hand extra attack effect. Are you thinking of the off-hand THAC0 bonus (which is an effect only for the expansion-that-shall-not-be-named)?

However, I do agree that Belm providing an extra attack to the main hand was intentional.

7. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Hyperspeed from movement rate + haste may sound cheesy, but then again, who said these two effects cannot stack? Besides, the spell Haste doesn't last for days/months/years. ;)

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31

You're right, CamDawg.

In which case, this is most likely a bug.

9. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

"Rastor: personally I think these weapons are originally supposed to give extra attacks just from themselves, besides it's really unrealistic that equiping a scimitar in your off-hand can make the main hand with a katana hack faster."

Uh...it's a MAGIC weapon...and you're calling its magical effect UNREALISTIC...? :confused:

10. HeresiarchQin Gems: 2/31

Oh, come on, you know what I meant. You should go and read the Belm's description, it says the scimitar is so perfectly balanced that it allow the wielder to recover so quickly to make an extra attack with it. What I mean "unrealistic" is how could the scimitar affect your main hand weapon if the extra attack effect is caused by what the description says.

Nice spamming though.

11. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I gotta agree with Buck though. Not much in BG2 is realistic. Also, "the description says"... I know I wouldn´t write how I put the enchantment on a blade so the whole world could start making own. Ofcourse the mage that made it made up some lame story to fool people. It´s his living were talking about :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.