1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Beholders

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Wingfoot, Aug 2, 2000.

1. Wingfoot Guest

[​IMG] cant wait for this game, looking foward to battling beholders, they look pretty cool in the screenshots, but i cant wait to see them during play!

2. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yeah, but it steals from other games, such as Heroes of M&M 3, Diablo: Hellfire, and a few really old RPGs of the Atari days.

3. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

No one has a copywrite for using monsters in their games. If so, then everyone is copying some game by using skeletons, or trolls, or demons. Since Beholders are part of the D&D world anyone should be able to use them in a D&D game without people thinking that they are stealing from other games.

4. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I'm not saying that its infringing on any copyright laws. I just expect something newer. I don't think my expectations are that high. Do you Gunthar?

[This message has been edited by The Fat Egg (edited August 05, 2000).]

5. worldclass Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Let's remember that if J.R.R. Tolkien decided to sue for copyright infringement on any ideas (Elves, dwarves, Orcs, Halflings, Goblins, etc.) there wouldn't be ANY fantasy RPGs around...To paraphrase Galileo, these RPGs are so great because they are "standing on the shoulders of giants"

6. Wingfoot Guest

[​IMG] Amen, well said there worldclass.

7. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

To the Egg: I'm not saying anyone has a copywrite, but remember that there are only so many monsters and if they made any up I'm sure everyone would complain. Anyways, I'm sure that there will be new monsters that they haven't used before.

8. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] That's so true worldclass!
    I've read that beholders are one of the worst kind of creatures in the game!
    The can petrificate you, the can cast disable magic, stun you etc. etc. etc.
    So prepare...!!!

9. sminnis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Just a friendly correction to worldclass: I think it was Isaac Newton who said, "If I have seen farther, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants." But, come to think of it, maybe that pompous bastard stole it from Galileo.

Now, if I may be overly philosophical on this thread, one of the attractions of fantasy role playing for me is the mythic quality. The Beholder is simply an interesting manifestation of the evil eye archetype. AD&D (as well as Tolkien, for that matter) drips with these kind of ancient myths and monsters . . . that's what it's all about. So it seems a little odd to criticize the game for using familiar monsters. Dragons, goblins, giants, snakemen, and ogres are part of the nightmares of every culture in human history.

So bring me that beholder. I'll kick 'is arse!

10. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

One more thing that I suppose puts fantasy RPG aside. I f you compare BG with Fallout for example, the last one has guns, drugs, sex, etc. - all tre properties of our poor suckin' world.

In BG and such you are able to put yourself in an imaginary world that gives an alteration to the actual life (this sometimes can go too far and people get stuck in the virtual world forever).

Imagime yourself wearing plate armor and a huge Two-Hander in the middle of your town - neah... Being able to be a cool guy in the game is also a psychological thing.

11. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] I just bought a book with drizzt as the main character and he will lead you through the underdark,
    but i will get it for my birthday, wich is next week (7 september).
    I live in Europe, so I will get BG2 not until 1 oktober (probably later!),
    so I have enough time to read about the Underdark and the Beholders.
    I hope there will be a couple of tips in it to defeat them...!
    And if not, i'll just KICK THEIR BUTS AND SLASH THEM TO DUST!!!!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.