1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Beginner Questions from a Seasoned Spammer

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Mathetais, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Some spoilers inside:

A Paladin has a great leadership and a high Charisma, wich is rather useful. For a good party there is enough choice, Kivan and Minsc are great Rangers, there are many thiefs (including Imoen) and in BG1 one mage is enough. There is no fighter/mage in this game available, you can get Dynaheir (good) as mage or Xan (Neutral, who has a good sword and better fighting/skills)

2. Lord Sarevok Guest

Fighter/Mage! Nothing like mixing spells and steel together!

Paladins and rangers in BG1 aren't very good, they get a few special abilities but not much else. If you take a Ranger, keep him in leather armor in order to use your stealth ability which is very handy in BG1...

If you take a Fighter/Mage go for large swords and bows, if you're an elf you'll get bonuses in both of these weapons giving you some better THACO...

Always remember to use the spell mirror image, since it's as good as stoneskin in BG1. The enemy has to destory every image in order to hurt you...

A hasted, mirror imaged, and protected from normal missles fighter/mage using a bow is very, very deadly in combat.

As soon as you have the gold, you can pick up a Robe of the Archmagi from Thalantyr in the High Hedge, unless you're evil then you'll have to wait until you kill Daevoran in the Cloakwood Mines. These give AC 5, as good as chainmail, +5% magic resistance and +1 to all saving throws. Combined with the Ring of Protection +2 you can have fairly good AC by the end of the game.

This is much more fun to play than a Ranger or Paladin if you've already played a fighter before...since Paladins and Rangers don't get all of their special abilities in BG1.

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Math, what do you play? You have weekend now so did you already play? Tell us how things are going in BG.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Unfortunatley, the BG/ToSC package from Amazon.com takes 1-2 weeks to ship, and then 3-4 days for shipping ... so I'm still waiting. ARGH!

However, I have descided to play a human paladin. I'm going to role-play it, and that is my real RPG self. I'll take long bows and long swords. While I can't play an elvin paladin in BG, he will be quasi elven in the manner I play him ...

I like the idea of a f/m, but honestly, it just isn't me .... not lately at least ;)

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Great Math, may Lathander enlighten your path during the travels through the dark places of Fearun. You will not be disappointed by the game. Paladins are great to play. I recommend you this party:

- Paladin
    - Imoen (pure thief)
    - Minsc
    - Dynaheir
    - Kivan (Great ranger)
    - Ajantis (paladin

You can also go for Khalid and Jaheira instead of Kivan and Ajantis.

6. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Pure fighter, or multi-class fighter/mage.
    Along with Imoen, Kivan, Edwin, Viconia and Ajantis.

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Math is already playing a paladin so Ajantis shouldn't be in his party, one religious person in a party is enough :)..... problem: Minsc and Dynaheir are a couple and so are Khalid and Jaheira. You can have them both in your party or both not... SO you have to sacrifce Kivan then.... you can play then with:

- You (Paladin)
    - Khalid (Fighter)
    - Minsc (Ranger)
    - Jaheira (Fighter/Cleric)
    - Imoen (Thief)
    - Dynaheir (Mage)

Then you havew a good Tank-party with enough Healing, Magic and Thief-skills)

[I love all those fire elementals :)]

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited January 15, 2002).]

8. Fudashi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Bah. Instead of "meta-gaming" how about a dreg adventure!

PC - Bard
    Faldorn - Druid
    Garrick - Bard
    Eldoth - Bard
    Skie - Thief

If you make it through the game with these sh*t birds, then I will personally congratulate you.

9. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Watch out Fudashi. Many a game challenge has been started that way around here. ;)

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Fudashi, you to play adefault party first. You can't play a game easily with such party when you never played it before. It's Math first game of BG... maybe he plays a "dreg adventure" next time. I also started with a normal party... but now finished the game with The Shadowcouncil:

Fighter/Thief
    Pure Thief
    Cleric/Thief
    Thief/Illusionist

11. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Okay ... i finally got the game and had a chance to start.

MY GROUP

My main PC is Scandel, a Human Paladin w/ an 18/88 STR and a few other stats. He uses a bow and is specialized in Large Swords.

Currently my party has (and excuse the spelling):

Khilid (are you gonna k k k k k Kill me k k k k Khilid??? :grin: )
    Jaheria
    Minsc (just met him)
    Iomen

We're about to rescue Dehirdra, so I'll have some spells.

I just kicked the Evil Two-Some out of my party ... Mondoman and something. They were very lame.

I might have that stone cleric woman in my party for now, but I don't really like her. She won't last long.

My Opinions of the Game...

So far so good. The graphics aren't as bad as I was afraid they would be. The biggest changes from BG2 are:

It doesn't say how wounded the monsters are when you hold your pointer over them.

Traveling to places makes you go through many outside areas. Kinda cool and very druid friendly! Wish I had (SPOILER FROM BG2). He'd come in handy. Can you say "Call Lightening????"

The quests are much more difficult. Instead of having someone tell you about a dungeon or a person needing help and "BOOM ... its on your map" you actually have to look. Cool, but could get long. I'll have to wait and see.

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Hmm.. not so good in names are you? ;) Khalid, Dynaheir and Imoen ;)

When you wanna have some spoilers I can give you them... you can first go to Gnoll Stronghold for Dynaheir.. but then you really need to get that great Long Sword ;)

13. Fudashi Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ahh yes, many a warrior has waxed poetic about the legendary Varscona (I'm assuming thats what you are refering to).

Mathetais: Yes, I could certainly see call lightning being very useful. Jaheira eventually gets access to it I think, although I am not 100% sure.

Unfortunately, thats about the only plus druids have in BG1. Thus, I'm not too crazy about Jaheira. I'd recommend a good cleric. Yeslick, Viconia and Branwen come to mind, although you have already displayed displeasure with Branwen (I also found her attitude annoying), so if you have a good party I'd go with Yeslick. Can be found way ahead in Cloakwood, but you'll get there soon enough.

Headbanger: Whoa there, I was just jostling Mathetais. No need for a serious reply.

Big B.: All the better. After I take through a druid, I just might have a little dreg adventure myself.

14. sorvo Guest

Branawen will start bitching when your rep gets up there, she's a real pain in the ass and she doesn't fight that well! I dumped her after Chapter 3:)

15. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] got that sword from Greywolf. Thanks ;) Now what???

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Hello.. I'm no living Walkthrough :) FInd some thing out yourself... discover some areas and then do the Nashkel Mines.

17. Kill_Lexington Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Fighter/Mage with skill in Short sword for the Dagger Of Venon and the +2 one possibily in axes or blunt :holy:

18. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Lexinton, first read well before anwering... Math already has a party... He will rescue Dynaheir and she has short sword proficiency already.

19. FisH Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

wouldn't go for axes... very slow and no damage bonus over long sword...

unless you're the Dwarven kind, you can not go without ye good ol' cliever

since its not a Dwaf, drop the axe...
    (ditto for blunts)

(It might be my first post, but nothing ever is the way it seems to be at first glance...)

20. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] Banger ... you're not a living walkthrough???? Could have fooled me!!! ;) :grin: :lol:

Seriously, I appreaciate the help. The sword is great, but I'm still getting my tender bootie kicked on a regular basis. I'll be scouring the country-side, revealing maps and fighting glibberings. If you need me, just call my on my cell phone.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.