1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Beginner Questions from a Seasoned Spammer

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Mathetais, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I just ordered this and need the "skinny" on getting started.

First of all ... Paladin, Ranger or Fighter/Mage?

Secondly ... good places to put proficiencies.

I'll be asking more questions as I go ... so wish me luck!!!

yours lazily ... MATHETAIS

2. Silverblade Guest

Fighter/mage with long sword. They are great and you can also build a pretty good and versatile party around it.

3. Arwen Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Ranger, long bow... good luck

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    :holy: Thief, thief, thief - halfling thief at best :holy: , well maybe even a gnomish mage-thief .... but from the three choices you offered I'd opt for the paladin, either human or halfling race :D :lol: - using bows, longswords and flails - then you are able to deal with any enemy.

Rangers IMO aren't as good as pallys and mc fighter-mages are impressive yet a little tough to play, but I'd favour it over the ranger.

[Um, Ragusa, this is BG1 we're talking about here :) - BTA]

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited January 09, 2002).]

I noticed and edited my post - but thanks for reminding me, ooops :lol: )

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited January 09, 2002).]

5. Eilonwy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Math, fighter/mage is the best...
    I almost "always" play fighter/mage!
    Be NE too, that is the funniest!

6. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Fighter/Mage or Ranger. Bows and large swords in either case.

7. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Looking back, I don't know if it really matters. I think a mage would be tough, though. I like Rangers and always played as one, and if you have TOSC that's what I'd recommend.

8. sorvo Guest

I play a paladin but all the classes are fun, swords and bows are the way to go.

9. Sniper Gems: 28/31

If i'm a melee proficient character i almost always pour my points into large swords, bows and ... er ... i guess blunt weapons...

If i'm in the magic masters area .... i'd pour the points into ... ranged weapons and probably the one thats got a staff in it...

10. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Hail Mathetias and welcome. Long have I waited and finally the time is there that you have found these boards... and this wonderful game.

You played BG2, this is a bit different. You don't start at a high level so in the beginning, playing for example a fighter/mage is kinda hard. When you are a mage, you start with only 4 hit points for example... I know you a bit, you are a vicar so you should obviously play a Paladin, for the good alignemt, the fight for justice, and because of the strong interests for religion a paladin has. Paladins have good hit points, good AC... so not too hard to play in the beginning. I advice to use Long Sword + Shield + Sling, however Two Handed Sword and Cross Bow/Long Bow gives you a bit less good AC but way better ranged attack.

Good luck, and when you need some more help, youp know where to find me ;)

11. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Paladin's are good if you want to tank it. Fighter/Mages to learn how the magic in the game works. 2-Handed swords are good, just just like previously stated, you take a hit in AC. Long Swords are the best swords to use in the game in general due to the speed factor/damage. From the way Headbanger writes, you have some experience with the game.
    This site offers the most comprehensive forum than any other that I have found. Be sure to review ALL topics, as opposed to just 20 days, before you post a question. There is more stuff hear than you can shake a stick at. Good luck and P@ACE.

12. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Im playing a CN gnomish illusionist/fighter and its hard in the beginning.
    I would recommend that you try out something you haven played before. It can be pretty funny.
    The biggest problem I have had so far is that the chars move so slowly. Its a pain to walk around. But its funny to be afraid of gibberlings and such.

13. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Wow ... thanks for the overwhelming response. It looks like I'll either play a paladin or a ranger ... still up in the air. (Both are long time favorites of mine)

I honestly cannot get the BG2 weapons out of my head ... for example I think that my paladin should be proficient in two-handed swords and flails because of the Holy Avenger and Flail of Ages (or Defender of Easthaven). Metagaming...I know, but I'm only human.

Here's another question ... I hear there are more NPC's in this game. Don't give me *too many* spoilers, but will there be other rangers (Besides Minsc) and F/M's that I can still have fun with?

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    IIRC there is no fighter-mage in the game, but another ranger named Kivan ... *close* to Beregost ;)
    And there is a wonderful halfling thief in Baldur's Gate - she's named Alora and excells in her profession :holy:

15. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

The monsters in BG1 are real basic due to your character starting out as a neophyte. There are many discussions on favorite NPC's. As far as Dual Classing, that is up in the air also. Gaining levels in BG1 takes longer. It is reccomended that you uncover as much of the area maps in order to gain experience. I personally recomend playing the game with the intent that you are going to import him into BG2. Look for Tomes to raise attribute scores. These are just a few to keep in mind. There are so many variables that you could spend literally years discussing them. Remember, "Just have Fun!!"

[This message has been edited by Garret Jax (edited January 10, 2002).]

16. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I remember first trying to get a mage through chapter one.

Sad to say, my fighter completed the game, the mage got stuck in one...

Mage is tough to start. Give yourself a challenge ;)

17. sorvo Guest

You can also dual/class but the xp's max out at 89,000 or 161,000 for TOTSC, so it might not be worth it. Imoen is good to have because you get her right away and you can dual her to a mage after you pick her theif skills:)

18. bp Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I'll put a plug in for the Bard. In BG1, bards are basically like fighter/mages. They level up so fast, they'll pass any m/c mage up in spells. And with a longbow, they are decent at ranged weapons and semi-decent at melee fighting.

Plus, start a Bard with 18 Charisma, put him as the leader, and you may see some surprises.

Go Bard!

19. total Guest

[​IMG] Can you tell me what suprises, please.

20. Alienboy Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Good leadership maybee? Anyway bard's song come in handy when leading a group.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.