1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Because MLB is boring . . .

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jun 15, 2011.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The talk is still about the NBA. So, two thoughts:

One, are they going to be dumb enough to kill all or part of next season structuring a new CBA? (I hope they are smarter than that, but I fear no so much. If the NFL manages to make a deal before the season, that would give me more hope as the idiots in the NBA would perceive losing parts of their season as a major loss of face if the NFL guys figure it out on time -- but the difficulties in the NBA are very different than the NFL.)

Two, do the Lakers swing a deal trading Bynum and Odom for Howard and a shooter? (I sure hope so, as Bynum's glass knees worry me, Odom is unreliable, and it just seems poetic to snag another dominant center who can't hit a free throw from Orlando.)

Just sayin' . . .

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    My two cents:

All reports are that the NBA will lockout the players on July 1, as soon as the current CBA expires. Unlike the NFL where all the teams turned a net profit last season, the NBA has opened it's books to show over half the teams lost money last year. David Stern has said that to correct the books, he needs a total player salary reduction of about $700-$800 million down from the approximately $2.2 billion it had last year. By my math, that means a reduction in players salaries by about 1/3. This is VERY different from the NFL, in which the owners want a bigger piece of the pie, but the salary cap is still slated to increase in absolute dollars over what it was in 2009.

Needless to say, the players aren't going to accept a 30% pay cut. That said, I think that we're not looking at the total loss of a season, but a partial loss I feel is nearly certain, for two reasons. 1.) While I doubt the 30% reduction in salaries is the owner's "best offer", they are going to want SOME decrease in players salaries. If more than half the teams lost money, there's no way you're going to get 3/4 of the owners (the number needed to ratify a new CBA) to agree to a new CBA, unless at least 3/4 of them stand to turn a profit. However, 2.) We learned from the last time the players went on strike in the NBA about 15 years ago, that a lot of NBA players remarkably live paycheck to paycheck. As soon as the paychecks stopped, the NBA players yielded to the owners demands quite quickly. That's why I say a total loss is unlikely (because the players will cave), but a partial loss is nearly certain (because the players won't cave until their pocketbooks are affected).

It is now expected that the NFL owners and players will reach a deal sometime in the next couple of weeks, which would allow free-agency to begin in mid-July, concurrently with the summer training camps, and would not cost any games. But I think that there were a lot of reasons that the NFL will get this worked out better than the NBA, apart from the $700 million reasons I already mentioned. It's a simply matter of timing. The NFL has a much longer offseason than the NBA. The NBA's offseason is pretty much July-September. The NFL's offseason is February-August. So three months versus six months. In order to be on track to start next season, the NBA will have to accomplish in the next month what the NFL accomplished in the last 4 months. When the first offer placed on the table is a 30% pay cut, I don't see a whole lot of progress there.

As for the Lakers trying to swing a deal for Howard, I can only assume you're asking rhetorically. Once the CBA expires there isn't going to be any player movement between teams. So I think it makes the most sense to expect a lot of the big name players to stay where they are until they play basketball again. Until we know if and when the season is going to start, it may be possible that the trade deadline runs nearly concurrently with free agency.

But what the hell... we'll do the mental exercise.

Howard makes $16M annually. He is signed through the 2012-13 season, but that final year is a player option, so he can opt out at the end of the coming year.

Bynum also makes $16M, and his contract is up at the end of this year.

Odom has an $8.9M salary, is signed through the 2012-13 season with a team option on the final year of the contract.

Here's a problem is see with getting a deal done. Assuming the new CBA resembles the current CBA, the contracts you receive back must equal 85%-115% of the contracts you're giving away. Since Howard and Bynum have equal contracts, the other player or players you'd need to get from Orlando would have to have a salary between $7.6M and $10.2M. I don't see a shooter on Orlando with that salary, which means you're going to need to bring a 3rd team in on the deal, and until we see who that would be, it gets complicated to guess how it would work out.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Nah, I think it's 85-115% of the total salaries. Next season, Odom and Bynum combine for $24,057,667, which means that the range to take is $20,449,017 - $27,666,317. When you subtract Howard's salary next year of $17,885,400 from that, you're looking at a range of $2,563,617 - $9,780,917. Looking at Orlando's roster, if you want a shooter, Reddick makes $6,500,000. If you want a PG and Orlando is willing, Jameer Nelson makes $7,305,555 (he's another injury prone guy though). Chris Duhon makes $3,460,000.

If Orlando won't part with any guard, Branon Bass makes $4,000,000 next year.

Reddick's actually a relative bargain because his salary DECREASES by $500,000 each year (they front-loaded it).

If you go with this year's numbers, they are similar enough so that any of those deals work. Maybe they trade before the 7/1 lockout so that the deal can be on the books. Realistically, Orlando has to seriously fear that they are going to lose Howard like they lost Shaq (no compensation) or have a circus like Denver and 'melo (although to be fair, Denver won that trade big time).

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    You're right with the contracts - even though Bynum and Howard are a wash, you still get that 15% wiggle room on the salary in terms of acquiring another guy. The other obstacle I see is whether they are willing to do sign and trades. There's no way Orlando trades Howard if they cannot get Bynum signed to a longer deal.

As for trading them before 7/1, that can't happen, because we are past the trade deadline. The new league year starts 7/1, and even though the season is over, you're still in the same league year through 6/30. That's why the NFL couldn't trade players between the end of the season and when the lockout began in mid-March, because they were past the trade deadline in the "old" league year.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    My bad - I have to offer a retraction. The new NBA season starts today. So from now until July 1, you can trade guys.

6. dmc

Media:
    Yeah - I just read Simmons fake trade column. Some of them were intriguing.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I don't understand what all the rules are, but evidently some players cannot be traded until after July 1, and I think that's where I got confused. There is a small subset of players who are effectively untouchable. (Perhaps the ones still playing under their rookie contracts?)

8. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

...not if you are a Phillies fan.

BTW, since 2005, the player with the most HR's and RBI's? Ryan Howard. Believe it.

9. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Though the topic is really Basketball if you read through the thread, I am still liking this guy.... :D

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Oh man - the NBA owners are trying to screw the players big time here. The owner's initial offer to the players is a reduction of revenue sharing from the current player's share of 57% down to 40%. This would also include a 39% decrease in EXISTING contracts. Oh, and they want to all future contracts to be not guaranteed.

Needless to say, that a really lousy deal for the players. While I agree that the league cannot survive with salaries where they currently are, no one made the owners sign those players to outrageous deals. And yeah, there are players who are being paid well in excess of what they're worth. But a lot of those players were playing below that level even before they signed that contract. The owners need to save themselves from themselves evidently.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.