1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Beating Grimgnaw and co.

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Khazraj, May 11, 2004.

1. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I had a whale of a time with a monk on this one. I eventually cranked it down to "easy" and still loathed it. Any tactics here?

I thought Grim should have taken place of Mephi!

I have a wizard and I wanted to try out TimeStop and WOB. What do you think?

2. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I just went through this a couple of weeks ago.

For wizards:

*Very* irritating for spellcasters, but I found a basic instant death tactic. I used a palemaster, and even he was able to nuke the hell out of 'em before they caused much damage.

As soon as the combat begins, simply do nothing. Wait for the lich-looking fellow to do his timestop thing, because he will beat you to it, and if your timestops go off at the same time, yours goes funky, and it affects no one, while his works fine.

Once his time-stop is finished, do your own. In the time stop, cast any dispell type magic on the lich looking-guy to get that spell mantle down. Then follow up with *any* big area-of-effect death spells. I was able to fire off wierd, and two wail of the banshees. This will almost certainly kill all of them but grimgnaw and the annoying thief woman. One time it got Grimgnaw as well. If Grimgnaw survived, I used greater missle storm on him until he went down, and the thief woman is easy when she's singled out. She goes invisible a lot, so use True Seeing and she's toast.

The main annoying trick was, I never tried the death spells right off because I assumed the Lich-wizard, being undead, was immune, but it turns out, he's not undead, and they will kill him. I don't know why, but that's how it is. Maugrim and that minotaur never even get a chance to move.

3. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

My Arcane Archer had the most trouble with Maugrim, while my monk/rogue had the most problems with the lich-looking guy. That acid sheath was killer when I was hitting him 5 times a round! I just made sure the next time I reloaded that I equipped my ring of major acid resistance and down he went [knockdown + (sneak attack x 4) = dead enemy :D ].

Grimnaw was tough for my monk/rogue, but I was just as tough for him, we missed each other quite a bit.

4. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

My Fighter/Bard/RDD cleaned the room, on hardcore...alone. Strangley, he had the most trouble with that archer woman...until he reached her ;) .

5. Largon Thunderhorn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm also having difficulty with this one, even on easy. I'm running a bard, and have limited high-powered options. I've discovered that you can win all the battles in this game without TOO much trouble, except this one. Therefore, you go all the way through then discover that choices you made in character development can stop you dead here. Tonight I'm going to try turning into a pixie and just bypassing the room.

Hacken, I'd like to know what tactics you used, not just "I cleaned the room". No spells my bard could cast affected them. Even meteor storm and horrid wilting (from scrolls) left them all uninjured. If I was a wizard, I would take a couple of rods of resurrection and turn ethereal, and just run around resurrecting my henchmen for about 30 minutes, but I can't even do that!

6. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Well, I was using a ranger/rogue/shadowdancer and had the tiefling and drow as henchmen. Basically, let the tank draw the attention of their combat monsters while sneak attacking spellcasters and then the tank. I also kept a few heal potions handy just in case too ;)

7. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I struggled more with this fight than any other, too. I had a Blackguard 14/Ranger 11 with another Blackguard in tow (a LE and a CE, what a pair!), so we didn't have any magic between us. The only way I won: charge the lich-wizard and take him down first (pret' easy, actually, for a pair of blackguards), then move to the minotaur (else he cripples Aribeth with his called shots), then Maugrim, then Crimson, and finally Grimgnaw. I wore the evil-only armor from the mimic puzzle that gives you 100% immunity to bludgenoning, so I could absorb hits from the monk. I had to bring back Aribeth once, and my Vrock and animal friend only bought me a few seconds before getting toasted.

It helped that with Sneak Attacks and criticals I was doing 100+ damage per hit, even on the lich. There's something to be said for raw damage!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.