1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Beating Drizzt fair and square

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by dshadow, Feb 12, 2003.

1. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Has anyone ever got the better of him in a fair fight? I don't mean firing arrows at him while he's fighting gnolls or enclosing a character in a sphere or lowering the pathfinding, but in a straight and fair fight? Every time I've tried he's just slaughtered me and I'm lucky to even land a blow on him.

2. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Why is using a magic sphere unfair?

The Wizards Union doesn't think so! :lol:

It's a legal level 4 Mage spell in the game if you have TotSC. No hacking involved...

3. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

With a f/t i pickpocketed for his swords and then used them to beat him down. I was quite high in level at the time. He never really retaliated though, just kept running about the screen like he had morale failure. So i quaffed some speed potions and strength potions and left my character attacking him while i went to make food (having turned most autopauses off).

4. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I think he means good old fashioned melee combat.

5. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

He's kinda hard to take out man-to-man-melee, especially if your xp-cap is still on. I just fired arrows at him after i talked to him. Boots of Speed + Oil of Speed + 40+Piercing arrows = dead Drizzt. I don't kill him in my true Pole-playing games, because i'm a Ranger :)

6. Aces Gems: 19/31

"I think he means good old fashioned melee combat."

Well in the big scheme of things I always try brain power over brawn first.

In the AD&D world that means:

If you can make a fight easier with a spell, then that's the way to go! :D

7. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Yes, I meant in melee combat. Hand-to-hand. A nice clean fair fight. Or not that fair actually as you outnumber him six to one.

So has anyone beat him in melee combat then?

8. Aces Gems: 19/31

I doubt it unless they got very lucky and got some critical hits in right away.

He is suppose to be a level 16 superman against a modest level 6 - 8 party. ;)

edit:
    Yippee! My 250th post.
    No more ugly yellow triangle thingy!
    Skydrops are much nicer. :)

[ February 14, 2003, 01:36: Message edited by: Aces ]

9. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well if you could kill Drizzt with as much effort as it takes to kill a Gnoll ...

Everybody would go that area at the earliest opportunity, get the scimitars and the mithril chain, and then coast through the rest of the game with such ridiculous ease that every monster is about as scary as Bambi and well ...

You could accomplish that with the console anway.

Making him a melee killer machine forces a party to use different methods and resources, albeit underhanded and dirty ones. And incidentally, the murder of Drizzt is more realistic for it.

10. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The armor isn't that great, an Ankheg armor has the same AC and weight, but better modifiers (slash...). And it prevents your using magic protection rings. The advantage is you can wear it and use thief abilities.
    The best armor is the full plate mail, but expensive and heavy.

Still another trick to defeat Drizzt unfair: conjure skeletons with your cleric, enough to completely surround Drizzt, and make them attack him (you may help with arrows): strangely he doesn't attack them back, he tries to reach you but can't.

11. Loerand

Man! I killed him "fair and square" last night, but that was in BG2... I was soloing and chrushed him with my lvl 21 Ranger. He wasn't even easy then so I think it's impossible to kill him the "fair and square" in BG1 without cheating. BTW I just "tried" to kill him. I'm a true roleplayer :)

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Fair and square? Bah, it's still murdering an innocent. That's never going to be fair and square, no matter if you do that in melee or help yourself out some other way ;) So sayeth the uber-goody-goody.

13. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Wil
    The main difference between Drizzt's Mail and Full Plate is that a Ranger can still Hide in Shadows with it. Plus it looks cool and it's an accomplishment (killing Drizzt is hard).

14. Loerand

...and with a fighter/mage you can still cast spells IIRC...

15. Wil Gems: 6/31

I wasn't aware of this. It makes the armor more attractive, but it's not in the ADD spirit (neither are the archmage robes IMO)

16. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Drizzt is incredibly hard to beat in melee combat. Choose your party well, get a lot of melee fighters or bowmans (Kivan comes to mind). Then when fighting him, quaff down speed potions and strengh potions and any other potions around and you might have a chance.

17. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Like I put in a post closely related to this one...

Have 3 theives (fighter/thieves are better, I think, better THAC0) and have em all hide. Have your fighter/mage cast stoneskin and mirror image (have more ready, cuz they'll go down fast). Cast bless, chant and haste. Speed potions are good. It's not a really FAIR fight, but it's the closest to one that a normal party will get.

18. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Or you could get your archer the Boots of Speed and the Bracers of Accuracy, then get him to launch arrows while your warriors keeps him distracted. Drizzt can attack very fast, so any melee attack against him is likely to fail because he seems to interrupt your attacks.

19. Drumheller Gems: 6/31

I tried some of the tricks mentioned here and they flat-out don't work. When I tried to pick his pocket for the swords and chain, it said target has no valid items. The skeleton trick doesn't work either, even if you're outta sight (no way it works if you can see him to fire arrows). I'm playing with TotSC and the most recent patch, so maybe things are different.

I killed him the 'cheap' way: wand of monster summoning and an unrelenting missile barrage. By the way, sometimes that doesn't even work; the wand runs out of monsters and Drizzt kills them ALL. I don't think it's unfair, though. AD&D rewards clever tactics and not just brawn all day long. You want a tough fight? Try taking out Shandalar in Ulgoth's Beard . . .

Just for fun, I cloned my Fighter PC to a party of six and gave him all 25 stats (still level 8). I took out the final demon in Ulgoth SOLO with this guy (normal stats). Six of these clones took on Drizzt toe-to-toe and he still managed to kill one.

edited to add: I don't know about F/M, but Bards cannot cast while wearing his armor.

20. Loerand

I think that the armor has about 60% spell failure. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.