1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Battlestar Galactica (2004 TV Series)

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Fly2tHeSkY, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I've never really been a fan of programs like this (Star Trek, Star Wars Saga etc) but after watching about half an hour, I became instantly hooked! I'm sure some of you are old enough to remember the older series, however after seeing all of the special effects in this version (and growing accustomed to the actors) I doubt I'll ever watch the older version.

They aired the 2 hour mini series a couple of years ago on Network 10, then started showing episodes once per week at 9.30 on a Thursday. It got some fantastic reviews, however after about 5 weeks or so the show got bumped to a Saturday night 11.30pm timeslot. Then after the season ended (I think) they removed the show completely! :cry:

It was only until a couple of weeks ago, that I had learned that the show had been moved to the HD version of the network, and had been airing at 8.30pm on Thursday nights again!! Even after a couple of years (and missing so many episodes) after watching about 5 minutes of it, did I instantly fall in love with it again :D

The storyline is great and I really enjoy the special effects! So I was just curious, does anybody really watch it??

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea, I'm nearing the end of season 3, and it's still good. Possibly better than seasons 1 & 2, because they've eased up on all the sex which was really starting to get old because it was overused (IMO). A few unanswered questions (or inconsistencies, if they never explain them) in the series bother me, but overall, it's quite a good series. Not excellent, because it really tries much too hard to cram every social, psychological and religious dilemma known to man into the series (can you say overkill?), but good nonetheless.

3. Fly2tHeSkY

Considering I've missed basically a whole season, there's not really much point of me watching it on TV anymore so I was thinking about buying the first 3 seasons on DVD. Apparently there's some webisodes that fill in the blanks between seasons or something, each around 10 minutes or so. Do you have any idea if they include these mini episodes with the regular episodes Tal?

I also heard there was a TV movie?

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes, there were a few short clips connecting seasons 2 & 3 that were never aired outside the US if I remember right (and I think they're not on some of the DVD releases, depending on countries of release). You won't miss that much by not seeing them (all of them together amount to less than the length of a single regular episode if I remember right), but you can still dig around for them in alternative distribution channels.

The TV film produced and broadcast in the gap between seasons 3 and 4 is called Razor. I haven't seen it yet, but I know that it offers more back story, so it's not actually a bridger between seasons 3 & 4.

Check the DVD contents before buying anything to see what you'll get with each season pack. Amazon usually has very thorough descriptions of box contents.

5. Fly2tHeSkY

Do the mini clips offer much of a backstory or do they just show what happens at the time of the resistance?

6. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    When our TV network was still analogical, I watched it and loved it, the new series that is. When I was still a kid the old one came out of the tube and rocked my world back then. Been thinking to get my hands on the new series on DVD just for the principle of it.

7. Taluntain

Media:
    Silvershield, they show what happens at the time of the resistance, so they bridge the ending of season 2 and the beginning of season 3.

8. Fly2tHeSkY

Yes and that is IMPORTANT. There's no way they could release the entire series without this bit of information!!

Edit:
    PLEASE tell me Australia is part of region 1...

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Sorry to disappoint, but Australia is Region 4, meaning these won't be included in the DVD. Unless someone can make them change their mind about this. It does seem like a rather arbitrary decision, but it may have something to do with the way the show is licensed in other countries.

10. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

That is why you use region free DVD players ;-).

I watched the pilot and the first season when they originally aired here. The pilot was quite promising, but I was disappointed in how the first season progressed and stopped watching. Maybe I will have another look at this when they start releasing it on Blu-ray.

11. Fly2tHeSkY

I guess when I actually purchase the series on DVD, I can always watch these mini episodes on the web right?

I thought that only worked IF the disc was region free??

12. Taluntain

Media:
    I don't think they're available online any more, and even the online material was region-locked back when it was still available.

And no, region-free players can play dics from any region. Most DVD players can be unlocked quite easily.

13. Fly2tHeSkY

So basically I just have to get a Region-Free player and I'll be fine? We just moved into our new house so we're watching movies on the PS3 atm. We were thinking about gettin a blue-ray player though, can they be unlocked in the same way?

14. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, you also need to get discs from the proper region, but yes, if you've got the proper DVDs and a region-free or unlocked player, you'll be able to watch them. I don't know if blu-ray players can be unlocked as easily, but in the worst case you can just buy an extra DVD player for this as they're dirt cheap now. Oh, btw, PS3 actually has a blu-ray player integrated, so you've already got one. Unless you meant you want to get a separate blu-ray player from PS3?

15. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Watching it ATM. Last episodes of season 2.

Like most viewers, I like how it's different from most sci-fi series. It's not a story about some renegade dudes being cool, nor is it filled with aliens and super weird weapons. It's a story about the survival of a race that still tries to hold onto its old believes. There's real people with real problems.

The cylons were made interestingly, but it works. They don't appear much, and if they do, it's usually in human form.
    They also skipped the destruction of their homeplanet. That's like not showing the destruction of Death Star in Star Wars IV/VI. Does it matter? No.

It's überawesome.

16. Fly2tHeSkY

Yeah Tal, I don't really like watching movies on the PS3.. It just doesn't feel right to me :( We were thinking about getting a nice big Sony blue-ray player lol.

When you say, get the discs from the proper region, if I purchase them from the US, then unlock a DVD player (from Australia) will that work??

17. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

The PS3 is currently one of the best Blu-ray players available, so buying a new one is a bit strange to say the least. Also, about 70 % of the currently released Blu-ray titles are region free. But this is going more and more off-topic, so enough of that.

18. Fly2tHeSkY

The blue-ray player is for the other room lol.

I remember watching an episode awhile ago (I'm pretty sure it was season 2) about a group of Cylons boarding Galactica. They attempted to take control of the ship by force, from within. These particular Cylons were basically invulnerable to regular weapons, and had to be taken down with explosives. I remember Lee took a few out when a RPG shot to the head. Although back in season 1 (when Helo is still on Caprica) cylons go down with a couple of shots from a handgun.. What gives?? :confused:

19. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    They made an upgrade to the basic Cylon model. I think it's explained in that episode.

20. Fly2tHeSkY

I just finished watching a new episode tonight, from season 4 I think. There was a few of those models in the episode and I'm guessing they're called 'Centurions'. I know I shouldn't have watched the episode (considering I'm like two seasons behind) but WOW this show has only gotten better! I can't wait to get this on dvd!! :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.