1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Battle Style of Game

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by Spellbound, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Just an opinion here.....but the battle style of this game seems really weird, compared to Icewind D and BG. Is it just me, or is the combat structuring odd? 2 turns per character?? At least in the other 2 games, it's totally up to the player as to how they want to run the battle.....I definitely don't like the turn thing. Anyways, I was really disappointed.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] It's got nothing to do with the other two games, which were done by BIS or BioWare and use the 2nd editon D&D rules. This one's supposed to use 3e. Supposed, since it picks rather freely what to use, and how to use. And what it uses is bugged. Oh well.

3. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I hate to just dump the game--but as you know, I'm fairly new at this, and I'm having a really hard time. Is there any way around the forced turn thing. If I approach an enemy, I want to decide for myself who attacks first and who stays is the back---or in what order my characters attack. I'm building combat specialities for each character, but I want to be the one who decides on strategy. So far I'm not seeing that alternative presented---the game is deciding attack order and giving me the same order for every attack, based on the order that the individuals joined the party. Very frustrating. And....when I try to force the issue of Person X going before Person Y, I end up with a mess....and severe casualties. Is there any way to turn that ordering thing off?

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

First you must understand that number of attacks will get increased when you level up. It is also determined by class you use.
    Btw, don't forget to check how many times you may actually use Magic Missile once you've chosen that spell! Just click on the target again to confirm if you have one missile more to shoot. You get more missiles by levelling up, and that's not the only spell that works that way - read spell descriptions. I've actually thrown only one Magic Missile although I had actually three of those to waste. So much for nice game interface.

As for attack order, it's determined by few things:
    - Your party attacks first if you "hopped out of nowhere" (in fact you've clicked on the enemy before he noticed you)
    - The first NPC who attacks is the one with highest "initiative". If two characters have the same initiative value, the first one is determined by random number. Initiative is determined by so called Dexterity check (1d20 + Dexterity modifier, where 1d20 means it's the random number from interval 1-20). Of course, your hero can use some actions (potions, spells, etc) that change his or her initiative.

To generally improve initiative there are few ways:
    - level up and invest in DEX
    - level up so you get Improved Initiative feat (you gain +4 bonus to initiative)

The feats are in PoR acquired automatically.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited June 19, 2002).]

5. Peleran the Bard Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] The person who attacks first is now based, in Third Edition, on who is best suited to react first. The higher dex you have, the better chance of attacking first, which is benificial. If you don't want to do anything you can always delay your turn and act later.
    On two turns per round, that's not really true. You're given a move and an attack, which are taken seperatly, as in 3E D&D. I always suggest to people that if they like Baldur's Gate and Pool of Radiance, they should give the ol' D&D a try. My friends and I get together to play more often the I play on the computer now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.