1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Battle Squares Question

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by claudius, Mar 15, 2014.

1. claudius Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

1) Who in my party should try Battle Squares?

2) Anything but reload for teleporting demons? The battle square golem gets lost.

3) How do you fight the remhoraz (which does heinous damage to my tank)

4) why doesn't static charge roll over to a new battle? I had hoped to have every enemy taking damage for static.

5) How do you get the north door open?

6) How do you fight elementals? They kick my butt.

--------------------------------------------------------

1) I have tried with my Fighter2/Druid11. I buffed up (of course with my whole party casting). Bark, bless, prayer, recital, bulls, protection from evil,
    emotion: hope, mass haste, stoneskin. Is that all?

My druid used some spells such as static, frost cone, faeri fire, alicorn lance, cure moderate wounds, moon blade, thornspray, static charge, and sol's searing orb.

I think I have optimized what equipment to give her

Here is other party members who could try:

Dwarven fighter 12/ pal 1
    Human Cleric of Oghma 13
    Drow Bard 11
    Tiefling rogue 1/ monk x
    Sorceror 13

I think maybe the Cleric or Fighter??

2) The demons that teleport to the room of the other party members is easy to kill, but the golem who referees BS gets lost.

3) Remorhaz does too much damage before I (druid see above) can best it

4) I cast static charge with my druid on the first square. It's supposed to last 10 turns!

5) How do you get the north door open?? When I used to use a two handed weapon to kill big sized opponents while they couldn't hit me.

6) any hints on elementals? I know the club of disruption can help but I haven't beaten BS level 6 yet

------------------

Thanks, folks!

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    claudius likes this.
  3. claudius Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Unfortunately my monk is a rogue skill monkey and his stats are not very combatish.

Tiefling rogue 1 monk 11
    Str 16
    Dex 18
    Con 14 (yikes)
    Int 22
    Wis 10
    Cha 1

I have 18 dex because a ranged attacker and to help open locks and stealth.. 15 str is so I can hit low AC enemies like mages and damage them more. 22 intelligence helps me almost max out: locks, search, disable, hide, and move silent. 10 wisdom stops a malus to AC... Not being able to dump Wis to 3 hurts me, but I just wanted to try a monk and this character is built as a ranged attacker.

Con 14 is a cardinal sin, but I was planning on not drawing agro and easily running away.

4. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No Wisdom is what really hurts the idea imho. Otherwise it might be doable.

Alright, let's try this ...

What weapons does your party have?

What spells does your Sorceror have?

5. claudius Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Once I practiced more I improved using my druid...

2) Still a problem
    3) Still a problem. I have storm shell (forgot that at first) and that takes the fire damage away, but it still hits hard and has a lot of hit points

4) Ok sometimes it triggers on the next opponents. But I don't think it is very regular. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

5) I still don't know about the north door

6) I have the club. It was hard to get it and I think I had a bad 'seed' to randomly generate opponents. It was getting remohraz constantly. Then I went out of the temple because I gave up, but I returned.

Beren asked:

No Wisdom is what really hurts the idea imho. Otherwise it might be doable.

Alright, let's try this ...

What weapons does your party have?

claudius answers: My druid is now using the disruption club for undead etc, the wight's blade +2 (longsword) for slashing, and the kyosti spear +1 with a chance of additional damage for piercing.

I am buffing with:

cleric: bulls, prot evil. Cleric has some more AB buffs but they don't last long

druid: barkskin as a prebuff and then static, faerie fire etc

bard: emotion hope, Ghost armor, improved invisibility (last)

Sorcerer: stoneskin, mass haste

---------------------------------

I am improving with practice and not a bad seed ie remorhaz..

-----------------------------

What spells does your Sorceror have?

IIRC...

1 chromatic orb, grease, magic missile, armor, burning hands
    2 web, horror, mirror image, subvocal casting, aganazer's scorcher
    3 fireball, flame arrow, skull trap, stinking cloud
    4 stoneskin, vitriolic sphere, ice storm, otilukes resilient sphere
    5 animate dead, cone of cold, lower resist
    6 mass haste, acid fog

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  6. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

What Beren said, far too much intelligence in that build. The bonuses to your skills are negligible, and I don't believe necessary to complete any skill checks, compared to the loss of power the build takes both from AC and underpowered monk abilities.

7. claudius Gems: 5/31

Veteran

The monk is a rogue skill monkey. I almost max out stealth, search, locks, and traps. If I am doing over kill I don't know where the cut-off is.

I can move fast to enemy mages who have low AC and fortitude saves. I am a ranged attacker thus all I need is rapid shot and dexterity.

Don't try to slot a square peg in a round hole. This character fulfills his role in the party.

8. Beren

Media:
    The reason I asked about weapons is I was wondering if you have any weapons with the ability to hold its target still. That is the key point behind my using the Monk for Battle Squares (i.e. Stun).

The reason I asked about the Sorceror is an arcane spellcaster can do it with the right mix of spell. The idea is to have some protections in place, use summons to hold down the monster, and then having something like distant weapons created by a spell (e.g. Melf's Minute Meteors) to peck it at a distance.

claudius likes this.
  9. claudius Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Thanks everyone. The north door opened for some reason?? And so I could kill the remhoraz at range.

The demons I tried to disrupt with the club and if they teleport I reload (so annoying)..

Everything else I just needed buffs and patience.

I completed battle squares woo hoo

Thanks everyone :)

PS storm shell is quite good

10. lefuet Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Resourceful Veteran

have you tried the improved monk?
    you can try it by just dumping the files in override. If you don't like it just remove these files again.
    I'd be quite interested to hear if this can improve your monk playing experience. As your monk build is a bit different to what I had in mind. :-)

claudius likes this.
  11. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Teleporting monsters is no problem. Sure, it takes a while for the ice golem to haul itself to the other room, but as long as the monster dies when the golem is there to see it, you'll get the credit for the kill. For clarity - the golem sees right through walls.

I usually find that the toughest part is putting out enough dps to kill the monsters within the given 60 seconds, rather than surviving the battles.

claudius likes this.
  12. claudius Gems: 5/31

Veteran

lefuet, I might try the monk mod but I worry it is unbalanced. For example the WEIDU mod for druids was WAAAY over powered imho.

13. lefuet Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Resourceful Veteran

I tried to improve on the monk aspects

much stuff is just for convenience and playability:
    - He can already stun but it is quite tedious to activate it every round. (edit: stunning is a 2 edged sword: stunned characters cannot be hit critically!)
    - he is supposed to be faster. But I think the implementation of speed affecting items and spells is a bit buggy, so he can get slower by a speed boosting item. Now he gets faster with levels and can (at L26+) outrun other hasted character.
    - the damage increase seems nice but is not as strong as it looks on paper. Only base damage is affected by critical hits. Many opponents have immunities. There are still many better magical weapon out there.

all effects can be reached by magic or items already.

he is quite powerful, especially in a vanilla normal game (like all powerplayed characters). He struggles like all others with tactics or in HoF.
    But at last he can be played as a SC monk with fists and not just as a 1 level mix in. If you judge him, compare him to another well equipped character of similar level. I believe he is strong (and so much fun to play :D) well rounded but not unbalanced.

claudius likes this.
  14. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

Exactly. The lefuet's monk would be seriously OP in just about any other setting.. but in IWD2, it's just about balanced compared to any high quality magical weapon in the hands of a battlecleric or similar.

15. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I save potions throughout the game for Battle Squares and Boss fights, except for Sherincal, she is wimp!:D

Potions of Invulnerbility and Heroism are a must for tough fights.

claudius likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.