1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Battle Chasers: Nightwar - Interview

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Oct 11, 2017.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]PCGamer interview the developers of Battle Chasers: Nightwar about what inspired them to make their game and the story of its creation.

[​IMG]

Dangerous game

Battle Chasers: Nightwar launched almost exactly two years after the Kickstarter campaign, which was one year after the initial delivery date. "To be fair, the game is about three times bigger than what we originally proposed, and our team had to grow," says Joe. He had nothing but praise for their patient and supportive Kickstarter community: "We did our updates. They knew we were still working on it. No one really complained."

The alpha for Battle Chasers: Nightwar began last spring for select high-tier Kickstarter backers, and the beta launched a few weeks ago, open to all of them. "We had a lot of feedback, bug fixes, and balance changes thanks to our alpha and beta," says Steve. He specifically points to an increase in run speed in dungeons as a highly requested change based on feedback.

In addition to feedback from forum posts, indie developers can now watch players stream their unfinished game as a form of live quality assurance. Most of the problems Airship Syndicate saw players encounter were due to a lack of communication. "We didn't have any description of what the stats actually did in our in-game manual," says Steve. "People weren't realizing that 'attack power' also affected shields and healing, in addition to damage. It was also a lot of little things, like watching players get lost in a darkened area, or not seeing certain objects."

They added a few more tutorials, but were hesitant to hold players' hands too much. "We tried to make our tutorials as unobtrusive as possible," says Steve. He singles out Persona 5, one of his favorite games, as an example of what they wanted to avoid. "In a [Persona] dungeon there'll be a cool puzzle, but the characters just tell you the solution. That would have been fun to figure out! 70 hours in and they're still holding my hand."

Battle Chasers: Nightwar is selling well, so are we seeing the beginning of a series? "I had way more fun working with the Battle Chasers characters than I thought I would," says Joe. "I joke that I want to make a sequel where the town NPCs are the heroes. They're all really badass! Why do they need these adventurers anyway?"

[...]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2017
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.