1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Based on Baldur's Gate

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Bassil Warbone, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Bassil Warbone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I have been ill of late and the only pastime that I engage in is reading. I am only now getting back to my favorite pastime, Sorcerer's Place. I tried to read Baldur's Gate, the horrible book. I began thinking, anyone could do the game justice better than this guy. So I started to write....

Gyl Harpwynd's Prologue

I awoke this morning with the raw patch of burned skin on my chest throbbing with an acid pain nearly as intense as the pain in my heart and soul. My circumstance doesn't seem real or even possible, but my aching, damp body says otherwise. My eyes squint,blinded by the morning
    sun as I climb out of the woodland brush that kept me safely hidden throughout the night. I begin to walk, still in shock from the nights events. It feels like a nightmare,if I can just make it home I will wake up and everything will be as it should be.

Imoen's Prologue

I should have left yesterday I won't catch them now until they stop for the night. I'm sure glad I was able to gather some equiptment without anyone missing it before I left. It's dangerous to travel The road alone and even more so at night, so I guess I had better hurry if I don't want to be out here alone tonight. They 'll have to let me go along with them, they can't send me back now I won't be allowed back into the Keep now and judging by the letters I saw they won't be going back for a while either. I'm almost halfway to the crossroads so I should make the Inn by nightfall. I sure hope they're still there.

Chapter 1

It was a beautiful morning. Gyl had seen many sunrises from atop the library but this was the first time he had seen one on the begining day of Spring. The air was fresh and crisp from the cool ocean breeze, and the warm morning sun mixed with it to make a peaceful relaxing abiance. The perfect atmosphere for meditation and reflection. Gyl had no idea how long he had been sitting on the rooftop when the sound of his father's voice roused him,"Harpwynd, are you up here my lad." It was a pet name given to him by a close friend of his father, an half-elven bard who had taught him to play the harp and given him a couriosity for the archane. "Comming father" he replied, knowing he must be late for his studies he rushed down the steps to meet his father, a well respected sage here at Candlekeep, the great library that served as thier home for he had never known another. "Ah my child,how are you. I am glad to see you awake and dressed, hurry about your work this morning and make haste back to the
    library. We must pack and make ready for our trip today." Gyl could see by the anxious look on Goorions face that something was amiss, "I thought we were not leaving for Half a tenday, why the rush?" Gorion chose his words so as not to alarm his foster child, "Events have changed and our travel plans must change with them." He handed Gyl a small sack of coins and said, "Off with you now, I have preperations to make, finish your chores and purchase anything you might need for the trip. Winthrop will be on the lookout and has a few things put back just for you. Meet me on the library steps when you are done." As Gorion turned to walk away Gyl asked "Where are we going father?" Gorion turned, "We haven't the time for this!",he Snaped. Seeing the shock on his sons face Gorion walked over, put his hand on Gyl's Shoulder and said,"I have not decided yet, we will meet friends at the 'FriendlyArm Inn', and then perhaps on to Balders Gate. Safty will determine our path." Scensing his Fathers urgency Gyl said,"I shall return soon father," and hurried off to say his goodbyes to his friends and make ready for his trip. "Heyya',"A hi-pitched voice peirced Gyl's thoughts. He looked up to see Imoen walking toward him,"figured you would still be at your studies this morning. Where ya headed?" Imoen Had been Gyl's best friend for as long as he could remember. She was more like a sister than a friend, suddenly he was filled with dread by the prospect of telling her goodbye. "I uh have a few task to attend to. Imoen I don't know how to say this....I am uh...I will be..," Imoen interupted "Iknow, you're leaving today.I wish I could come with you, although the letter didn't say where." Gyl hugged Imoen and said, "So do I, but Winthrop wouldn't let you and Gorion would never allow it. Besides it probably wouldn't be safe." Suddenly he pushed her away, realizing what she had said. "What letter!" he emanded. "Have you been going through Gorion's things again?" As Imoen backed away she muttered, "Err did I say that?! oh, I'm late to clean rooms for winthrop. I'll see you later." Gyl stood Still for a moment."Wait!", he yelled, "What did the letter say?" But Imoen was already halfway across the courtyard. Gyl walked on not fully aware of his surroundings, awash in a sea of deep thought and emotion. "Gyl Harpwynd, just the lad I need to see!" the words brought Gyl out of his stuper. It was hull. A gate watcher who had befriended Gyl and taught him the art of combat. Gorion did not approve of thier association, Hull was fond of his drink and often had Gyl to cover for him. This usually required Gyl to lie for Hull, a skill that he was quite good at. Gyl was a persuasive story teller, a power Gorion did not wish to see him abuse. "I woke up late for duty and left my sword in the barracks, care to fetch it for me before the gate warden comes by?" Gyl smiled "Sure" he said, "I was comming by to see you any way. I'm leaving today and wanted to say thanks for helping me learn the way of the blade, I have a bad feeling it may come in handy sooner than I thought."Hull was puzzled by this last remark. "What do you mean Gyl?" He asked. "Just a feeling, I will be back soon." Gyl replied. Usually when Hull had 'a long night gambling' he leavs his arms in the bunkhouse, he would check there first.

Sorry for the block look of the text, that is how it turned out when I copied it to the topic page from a note pad. If one of the Moderators could staighten it up that would be great, but if not, oh well. I would like a little feedback on what I wrote here before I fixed breakfast. I may write more after my lunch.

[ October 20, 2006, 00:30: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You can edit and add returns to break up the big block if you wish; I certainly will not take it upon myself to do it for you...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.