1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bard instruments stink!

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Klorox, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Why must they be put in my shield slot? I can't use a bow and an instrument at the same time... WEAK!

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^Are you sure ALL bard items are used in shield slots? Maybe it was a speacial one? Do not know, never played bard in IWD but in IWD2 and BG2 they were used in quick-item slots? Take another one and try!

3. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Actually, Klorox, it's pretty difficult to draw a bowstring while carrying a harp :p

4. Klorox

Yeah, and assuming you're strong enough, it's just as difficult to carry 16 suits of armor as it is 16 different scrolls.

5. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Was it that str increasing lyre? IWD II too has such an item.
    At any rate you can always change weapons while paused, so no big deal. If you don't find it to be too useful, get rid of it.

6. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

And people can go for days without going to the toilet....

The game has its mechanics and some are compatible with reality, while others are better if ignored. Consider that if you couldn't carry that much stuff, you would lose a fortune because of the truckloads of looted stuff you'd have to abandon.

However, if you didn't have any restrictions in the use of the off-hand, the game would be outrageously cheesy. How about having the ability to equip a shield and a bow?

Some instruments only provide special abilities while equipped (like the harp that increases the number of spells per level, IIRC). Some mage daggers provide extra spell slots, but must be equipped at all times. If you switch to a sling, for instance, you lose the learned spells in those slots.

You are trading off some options for the extra abilities the item gives you. It's then up to you to decide if the trade-off is acceptable or not.

7. Elvenblade Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I think the only instrument that you have to have equipped in the shield slot is the one sold by the collector in Kuldahar. The harp that add bonus spells.

All other can be used in the quick item slot.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Yes I now remember that item sold in Kuldahar, it is equipped as a shield, but all other bard items are quick-slot items, as I guessed.

9. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

That item can be quite anoying yes, my first game i bought it but never ifguredout how to use it, since my bard was equiped with a bow, there was no open slots to equip so i thought my bard could not use it at all :)

But yes, changing back and forth between that one is about as dumb as anything. yay, remove the item and put on the bow, and loose the prepared spells! that item always anoyed me.

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Weeell, if you want some fun, you can equip the harp and use the strings to fire arrows. Missile weapon + extra spells! :)

11. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^If only it was possible! :)

You sure have a great imagination! :thumb:

12. Phase Demon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Kuemper, that's an excellent idea for a bard specific item mod. The harp could act as a bow firing musical notes that could drive ennemies crazy and also fire arrows but with some sort of penalty.

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Can somone do something like this in a mod? :eek:
    I think it is very different than what normal in game engine allows?

14. Phase Demon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I can do it if you wish. Do you know if there is any bow like BG2 Tasheron's or Gesen's Bow in IWD that can fire their own magical missiles? If there was this could be done in a matter of minutes. I could also use a returning axe/hammer/dagger. If nothing like that was possible in the IWD engine which I doubt, I promise to do it for BG and BG2.

15. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Phase Demon, there is no such bow in IWD, but there is a returning throwing axe (+2 i guess) :)
    But it's a nice idea, there from Kuemper :D

16. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

The shield and bow thingy has been discussed before. I think most people agreed that it would be possible to have a buckler strapped to your forearm while fireing the bow...

17. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^But you can not use a buckler efficiently when using a bow, and it will surely give you hecks of penalties to aim for nothing!

18. Klorox

Why Silverstar? A Buckler is strapped to the forearm, so that you can still use that hand.

19. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Umm, has someone actually tried this in real life?

Then all archers throughout the history of the world must be fools or ignorants not to do this? :shake:

20. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

By the 3rd edition rules, you can use a buckler while using a bow or crossbow without penalty. Not necessarily right, but it's the rules.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.