1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bard - best armor to use?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Chord, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Chord Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi all!

I'm playing a bard (skald kit) and I was wondering what is the ideal armor for a bard? At the moment I'm using no armor to enable my spells.

I know I can wear heavy stuff too but then my wizzy spells are unusable. Should I just skip the spells and try out a heavy armored melee bard? I guess those 2 mages and 1 cleric I have in the party can cast enough :)

How do you play your bard?

Thanks!

2. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Do the Planar Prison quest and you'll find a suit of Melodic Chain (AC 2, allows spell casting, usable only by bards) after the very first battle. In the meantime, you can use Bracers Of Defence (Adventurer's Mart) or Amulet of the Shield (de'Arnise Keep).

3. Chord Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Thanks for super fast reply, that is just the kind of armor I need!

Any hints where to trigger this quest?

4. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

To start the planar prison quest: go visit the basement of the Five Flagons Inn in the Bridge District. Failing that, take a look around the sewers (a careful look...you're looking for some secret doors.)

5. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Or go talk to the cowled wizards and get the "The Hunt for Valygar Corthala (sp)" quest.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    There's a couple of other options.

I believe the Elvin Chain Mail allows you to cast spells, but that isn't available until late in SoA. Also, there's the Jester's Plate that you can get at the Asylum. I've never used it, so I have no idea if it allows you to cast spells or not.

7. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

No, you can't. The best armor for a bard is the melodic chain, +3. Valygar will lead you to the planar sphere, not the planar prison.
    Beware, some tough fights await you in the prison. But, if you are a bard, go fetch it immediately.
    I've played a scald not long ago, it's great. Poor Haer-Dalis!

8. Commandante Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

quest spoilers
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |

you can activate the quest by speaking to raelis shae in the five flagons inn, she will tell you to find her sparrow from merkath who lives in the sewers near the party of evil people. look for the secret door just left of their, you can accept merkaths quest to find the mirror or just kill him, either way you free haer'dalis and can enter the planar prison, be wanred its pretty hard at a low level

9. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Melodic Chain is the best armor for a bard, though there are two (non-magical) sets of elven chainmail available early in the game--Aran Linvail has a set, so you can side with Bohdi and kill him. One of the nobles in the dueling Trademeet family quest also has one. It's the male noble, though I can't remember his family name at the moment.

10. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Do not choose the Jesters Chain! It looks spectacular but you cannot cast spells while wearing it. :(

Melodic Chain is the best you will get until you have to fight a certain dragon in a certain elven city. :)

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Bladesinger Elven Chain (AC 1) allows spellcasting, but you'll have at most one quest to use it in before the game ends.

I'd do the Trademeet quest right away. It's pretty easy and you can get a set of Elven Chain which will serve you well until you get the Planar Prison Quest.

I say that because depending on what other quests you've done before, the Prison may be impossible due to the presence of certain enemies requiring decent magic to touch.

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

rastor, where is this elven chain located?

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You get it from the Dragon in Suldanesselar

14. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

The elven chain in Trademeet is the one I mentioned above--it's on Lord Alibakkar. Retrieve the mantle for either of the nobles rather than the High Lord of the town and both families turn on you. Kill Alibakkar and get his elven chain.

15. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Can't you give the mantle to the High Lord - thus getting a nice XP bonus - and *then* turn round and kill Alibakkar for the armour?

16. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

dshadow,
    I think he despawns whenever you give the mantle to Logan. It would be interesting to try, however.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.