1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Banned Books Week!

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Sprite, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

September 20 to 27 is Banned Books Week. This is a great opportunity to exercise your democratic right to read whatever the hell you want. Run, don't walk to your nearest library to borrow a book that would be forbidden in a less free country. Then, read the book, and post about it here!

If you've read any of these books, what did you think about the book and/or the controversy?

For your edification and amusement, here is a list of the 100 top most-protested books (if anyone knows of a more recent or international list than this 1999-2000 USA one, please post it here). The one I find most shocking is "Where's Waldo?", which is about 5/6 of the way down the list. That Waldo. He's such a subversive.

Scary Stories (Series) by Alvin Schwartz
    Daddy’s Roommate by Michael Willhoite
    I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
    The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
    Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling
    Forever by Judy Blume
    Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
    Alice (Series) by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
    Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman
    My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier
    The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
    The Giver by Lois Lowry
    It’s Perfectly Normal by Robie Harris
    Goosebumps (Series) by R.L. Stine
    A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck
    The Color Purple by Alice Walker
    Sex by Madonna
    Earth’s Children (Series) by Jean M. Auel
    The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson
    A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
    Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
    Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers
    In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak
    The Stupids (Series) by Harry Allard
    The Witches by Roald Dahl
    The New Joy of Gay Sex by Charles Silverstein
    Anastasia Krupnik (Series) by Lois Lowry
    The Goats by Brock Cole
    Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane
    Blubber by Judy Blume
    Killing Mr. Griffin by Lois Duncan
    Halloween ABC by Eve Merriam
    We All Fall Down by Robert Cormier
    Final Exit by Derek Humphry
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
    Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
    The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
    What’s Happening to my Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents & Daughters by Lynda Madaras
    To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    Beloved by Toni Morrison
    The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
    The Pigman by Paul Zindel
    Bumps in the Night by Harry Allard
    Deenie by Judy Blume
    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
    Annie on my Mind by Nancy Garden
    The Boy Who Lost His Face by Louis Sachar
    Cross Your Fingers, Spit in Your Hat by Alvin Schwartz
    A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    Sleeping Beauty Trilogy by A.N. Roquelaure (Anne Rice)
    Asking About Sex and Growing Up by Joanna Cole
    Cujo by Stephen King
    James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
    The Anarchist Cookbook by William Powell
    Boys and Sex by Wardell Pomeroy
    Ordinary People by Judith Guest
    American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
    What’s Happening to my Body? Book for Boys: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents & Sons by Lynda Madaras
    Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
    Crazy Lady by Jane Conly
    Athletic Shorts by Chris Crutcher
    Fade by Robert Cormier
    Guess What? by Mem Fox
    The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende
    The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline Cooney
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding
    Native Son by Richard Wright
    Women on Top: How Real Life Has Changed Women’s Fantasies by Nancy Friday
    Curses, Hexes and Spells by Daniel Cohen
    Jack by A.M. Homes
    Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo A. Anaya
    Where Did I Come From? by Peter Mayle
    Carrie by Stephen King
    Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume
    On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer
    Arizona Kid by Ron Koertge
    Family Secrets by Norma Klein
    Mommy Laid An Egg by Babette Cole
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
    Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
    Always Running by Luis Rodriguez
    Private Parts by Howard Stern
    Where’s Waldo? by Martin Hanford
    Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene
    Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman
    Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
    Running Loose by Chris Crutcher
    Sex Education by Jenny Davis
    The Drowning of Stephen Jones by Bette Greene
    Girls and Sex by Wardell Pomeroy
    How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell
    View from the Cherry Tree by Willo Davis Roberts
    The Headless Cupid by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
    The Terrorist by Caroline Cooney
    Jump Ship to Freedom by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I couldn't help notice harry potter in the list.. what's up with that? (since I don't know many of the titles, I can't ask what's up those =))

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Um, I think you should have posted this first:

"Thousands of bookstores and libraries nationwide will celebrate the freedom to read during Banned Books Week, September 20-27. They will mark the occasion with displays and readings of books that have been banned or threatened throughout history, from the Bible and “Little Red Riding Hood” to Maya Angelou’s “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings” and Steinbeck’s “Of Mice and Men.” Observed since 1982, the annual event is a celebration of the freedom to read and reminds Americans not to take this precious democratic freedom for granted."

As far as I know, no books on that list are actually banned at present. So the comment to "Run, don't walk to your nearest library to borrow a book that would be forbidden in a less free country" is pretty much pointless. I mean, Harry Potter is on that list, along with a bunch of books which are considered classics today. :rolleyes:

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Making the assumption that the list is in numeric order, I find it interesting and more than a little hypocritical that people object to the GIRL'S version of "What's Happening To My Body?" significantly more than the BOY'S version.

5. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I can see why Waldo would be banned - millions of decent people waste precious man hours finding that intellectual madman when they can be using their hands to uplift the people and the state!

Er, anyways, I find it a bit ironic that Farenheit 451 isn't on the list.

6. Sprite Gems: 15/31

Tal, that list is of the books that people tried to have banned in the USA in 1999-2000, we are not talking about a historic event but a real and present danger. Most of them have actually been banned by various school boards and library boards. In less free times or places, they'd be banned at a national level or even burned. Book-burnings and national-level bannings have happened in almost every country of the world at some point in their history. There are still plenty of places in the world where books are banned, and there are plenty of people even in the US today who would have Harry Potter and the like banned at a national level. These people have been doing a really good job lately of getting various comic book sales prosecuted in a supposedly free country, which bodes very badly for novels. The whole point of celebrating Banned Books Week is to remember how important it is to preserve and exercise these freedoms. Young people can so easily forget that it is a continual fight to prevent authoritarian and religious groups from depriving us of the right to choose what we can read.

[Edit: can't get the link to work for some reason but here's a link about the Harry Potter situation http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=3037 ]

[ September 18, 2003, 22:47: Message edited by: Sprite ]

7. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I don't see how, or why, people would ban books.
    It's just... not right.
    Isn't USA meant to be a free country, and yet people think they can ban books:rolleyes:

8. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I think that discussing the pros and cons of why one would object to a certain book or genre would be more productive. If a carer feels that a book is so bad that it should not be read by those in their care then discussion as to why is more useful than banning. You know the forbidden fruit situation...

To me avoidance or knowledge is better than banning.

9. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

The following list was taken from http://www.banned-books.com
    "Those who burn books will, in the end, burn people."
    - Written by Poet Heinrich Heine who's books were burned
    by the Nazis

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Sprite, you missed my point. Those books were banned by SOME school boards and library boards, but nowhere on a national level (that I know of). So if one (school) library doesn't have it, chances are the next one will. So it's not like they'd be that hard to get, if you particularly wanted one. As far as the classics on the list are concerned, you can even get them for free off the Internet... and order any others via Amazon. I'm only disputing your urgency to run to the libraries to get these books, not the importance of realizing that book banning is bad. ;)

Anyway, I didn't really think USA (or is it Canada?) would be banning books in any shape or form today... I guess I should be thankful I'm Slovenian. No one here is crazy enough to try to ban any books today, when we've had book burnings and clerical censorship throughout most of our history.

11. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    I thought Mein Kampf was banned as well

12. Taluntain

Media:
    It's banned in Germany... but I don't think anywhere else. It's freely available on Amazon.

13. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Mein Kampf is banned in more countries then only Germany. But the problem is, that one can get "Mein Kampf" or generally Nazi-relicts and Nazi-stuff from any country which allows its distribution, particulary over Amzon, which obviously is not to the liking of those countries, which have banned that book.

Me, personally, I'm a little bit nervous by the thought, that teenagers have access without trouble on copies from "the eternal jew" or "Mein Kampf".

"Michael" for example, is aviable if your 18 or allowance from an adult and the explaination why want to read it. One possible explanation could be for a school project. At least that worked for me and my school project.

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Whats michael about?

BTW, you can easily find a digital copy of Mein Kampf on the Internet, should be a interesting read.

15. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

"Michael" is a book by Goebbels. In short, save the world and fight evil like arch-angel Michael did.

Yeah, you can all the stuff from the Internet, the simple trick is finding a provider in an Anglo-Saxon country, where it's legal. The bigger ones, which have business in Continental-European countries will not allow it in their contracts, because they do not want to lose their business.

By the way, Amazon doesn't have Mein Kampf in German. I guess it's an copyright issue. The copyright for the English-edition is by Hitlers British-publisher, the rights for the German edition by Germany, which does not allow publishing.

16. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

What disturbs me is that people are STILL trying to ban certain books today, even in the States and Canada. There've been big Harry Potter burning parties in some parts of the US. My feeling is, while this sort of thing isn't widespread (thank God) if we aren't vigilant as hell, it will become so again, and we'll have a lot more burning parties . . .

17. Sprite Gems: 15/31

Apparently I did miss your point, Tal, and I apologise. I thought you were saying that no one banned books anymore.

With "run, don't walk to your nearest library..." I didn't mean that I thought that libraries were burning books as I typed and that you needed to get there to stop them, or anything like that! I just meant, "this is really important so don't forget to do it!". Hyperbole and rhetoric. :) I do think it's important to get the books from libraries so that you've made a public statement that you value these books. Just buying them or borrowing them from a friend does not, in my view, have the same societal symbolism.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    I didn't think you did either. :shake:

19. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *digs up her copies of said books*

I am deathly afraid of the future of Farenheit 415 coming to pass....

20. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I thought that having your book banned in at least one country was the easiest way to make it sell by the truck load. It won't neccessarily get read *cough*Satanic Verses*cough* but it will sell, and the the Literary Establishment will fall over themselves to praise it (whilst not standing too close to the author ;) ).

On a side note, the ability to anonymously obtain banned texts online has been done away with by the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. Now you can be tracked via IP every time you electronically obtain a banned text. (*Conspiracy Theory movie spoiler* The ability to monitor purchases of The Catcher In The Rye wasn't all that far fetched as was thought in 1997) The banned texts that would be tracked these days would be the writings of Middle Eastern leaders and that one about how to build a tank from a 1974 Skoda(1.1 litre minimum) and and six foot of iron sewer pipe. :whoa:

[ September 20, 2003, 17:00: Message edited by: Bluin ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.