1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bank Of America Asks Armless Man For Thumbprint, Denies To Cash His Check

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ragusa, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    One from Absurdistan:

:borg: Well, Sir, our regulations require that you give a thumbprint, and unless you can do that there's nothing we can do about that - it's here, black on white! So are the rules, Sir! :borg:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] That is quite legendary :lol:

I had a hell of a lot of trouble acquiring photo ID a year back because... I didn't have any photographic ID.

a couple of friends and I are wanting to petition a change with Disability badges as well - for many disabled people travel and/or driving isn't an option, disability badges have photos on, all that would need to be added is a date of birth - most already have holographic official seals.

Instead we have to get citizenship cards... which most places won't accept on the premise "they could be fake" :rolleyes:

3. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Remove shoe, give big toe print to B of A where needed!

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

On the flip side, it's likely that the teller knew the policy was stupid, but I have worked with some real douchebag supervisors in my time. These pieces of crap were totally impervious to logic and decency, especially when they decided to "make an example" of an employee. Had the teller cashed the cheque, one of these dimwit supervisors could have used it as ammunition against her.

You may think it's surreal, but it isn't. Never underestimate the utter stupidity of some moron up the bureaucratic food chain who will cheerfully eff up your life over something really stupid like this.

5. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I have a question: If they need a thumb-print to open the account (and if they don't, what possible purpose could taking one now serve), didn't they have some kind of established workaround for this guy? Something like a toeprint or something?

Other than that, yeah, someone wasn't thinking.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    According to the link, he didn't have an account with BofA, and the check was made out to his wife. The supervisors said without a thumb print, he either had to bring his wife in, or open an account himself.

I think the idea of taking a thumb print would be if you were committing fraud, and cashing a check for someone who wasn't your wife, then having the print would possibly make it easier to catch you. However, there's no guarantee even if this guy had hands that his thumbprint would be on record, as the US government doesn't have some database with everyone's fingerprints in it. The only people who have fingerprints on file are government employees, and/or if you have a criminal record. So while that's a TON of people, it's by no means a comprehensive list.

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] If it's for comparative results paper copies of the ID and a photo would be enough to provide the police as sufficient security attempts.

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Yeah, I'd think a photo would be better than a fingerprint. At least then you have something that could be used to readily identify anyone, whether they're in the system or not.

9. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I agree with NOG. If the guy would be a first time felon, having a finger print doesn't do much for the case. I don't think they'll go up to people on the street and ask "do you recognize this print?". However, having a photo ID gives something the authorites can use to track the guy down.

In any case, I agree it was probably a bureaucratic brain freeze. If I would have been in the guys place and the bank would have refused to cash my check without trying to understand my situation, I would have turned around and explained the absurdity of the bank's arguments to the customers waiting in line. I would then have asked one of them to lend me their cell phone and dial the police for me. I would have asked for a police officer to come down and take my statement so I could just cash my wife's fricking check!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.