1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate With Windows XP Clash - Solution

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Barmy Army, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2007
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Stickied, thanks. It's strange that this issue hasn't come up before... I imagine it must be pretty specific, so it's not that common. Still, might as well have it stickied here in case more people experience it.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Perhaps.
    Although I found that link when I searched on Google for the problem; it brought up plenty of results. I actually found that on Biowares (or whatever) technical support forum, where it was stickied and highlighted as common. That's why I assumed it was common. Not sure though.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm pretty sure it's never come up here before.

5. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

This IS a common problem with many games/apps running in XP. Unfortunately, the solution offered at the Microsoft support site(in the link above) does not work for around %50 of people for some complicateed technical reason and the only surefire way of fixing this is to get someone to send you the three files, preferably in a self-executing extractor that will unload them into the correct places on your HD.

I went through this a while back and tried everything the Microsoft tech support people could throw at me before I found a file at one of those computer tech support forums posted by some guru which contained the correct and fuctional files all in a convenient self-extracting exe. which I still have if anyone needs me to send it to them. Otherwise do a Google search for "XPHomefiles.exe". it should be about 92 KB and posted at a tech support type MB in a thread about this very issue.

6. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Please send it to me, I'll put it up.

7. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31

How do I send you the file? I tried to email you through your profile but that does not seem to allow me to attach files.

8. Taluntain

Media:
  9. RuneQuester Gems: 9/31

Okay, sent.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Ok, the fixes for these operating systems are available for download here:

- Windows 2000
    - Windows XP Home
    - Windows XP Pro

The archives are self-extracting and will put the files in their proper place. However, it is assumed here that you have your OS installed on C:, so if you don't, you'll have to move the files manually.

[ March 20, 2006, 15:21: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Hehe... I haven't been here for ages....

Once again you saved my life :D

Marnix - Back to the old addiction :p

12. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

have this problem on a new pc and couldnt re-install any of my old games ... i was just gonna search the ms website for a solution, but this is exacly what i needed :)

thanks

[ June 06, 2005, 00:26: Message edited by: Bard ]

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

crap, everytime i do the first step, after i hit enter it says "not a destination file" :confused:

it does that with all the entries except the last one. with the last one it says the error message at the very start when I tried to install BG :(

14. Kammesennin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i ran into this problem a few months back, but not with BG. It was with Quake3, but that's besides the point. If you don't feel like downloading specific files you could just have a spare AUTOEXEC.NT file sitting around with specific things typed into it.

@echo off
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

have that in your AUTOEXEC.NT and just keep a copy on the harddrive so whenever this error occurs again (with my experience it will occur many times) and whenever it happens copy it back to the system32 folder C:bad:WinNT\system32 I believe is the default... i'm not on my XP system right now so i can't doublecheck that location until i get the friggin' thing fixed, but if anyone is interested in this method, it's there now.
    The whole problem with this is for some reason XP is deleting AUTOEXEC.NT periodically... so it won't run anything that can be automatically run, some installers, autorun files within CD's/DVD's, all kinds of things. But even without doing this fix, there is usually a way around things, but I think it's better to just go with the fix. Hopes this helps anyone who has a problem with the fix mentioned above, or who for some reason like this method better.

15. Plate Gems: 1/31

I'm pretty sure the problem mentioned in that Microsoft support link is one I had a while back and is caused by the file being moved or deleted (usually by spyware). I actually found that in XP there's a file named repair in the XP installation somewhere, can't recall exactly where, but I think it was in the main folder. Inside that there's a spare copy of the files needed so you just copy whatever you're missing into System32.

16. Gildnao Gems: 1/31

hello everyone, ive tried the answeres up at the top about the WinXP constant crashing / restarting but nothing seems to work for me! ive tried copying over the proper winxp files but i notice no change and BG still crashes on me, every 5ish mins or if i leave it alone then it freezes.

if anyone has any other ideas PLEASE help me!! it does this with BG2 aswell!!

17. Jezgar the Red Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Media:
    I had problems with graphics, black squares in the inventory and on the game screen only started when I installed larger graphics card. (Ran fine with onboard graohics using XP home sev/pck 3.) Tried a few things to sort out the problem in the end I just downloaded the latest drivers for the graphics card, BGtotsc/soa/tob all run sweet. Game speed 40 but can take it to 60.

---------- Added 0 hours, 24 minutes and 37 seconds later... ----------

As For freezing BG (sometimes) NWN series (all the time) Icewindale ?? Haven't bothered to reinstall at this time, Dragonshard freezes on install. Pretty sure processor is on the way out BG has it running at 100%

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.