1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate: The Sword Coast Chronicles NWN2 PW

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Taluntain, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG][​IMG]News of a rather intriguing Neverwinter Nights 2 persistent world has recently caught my eye and since I know that it will be of interest to many of our members, here's a bit of info about it:

"By most residents of the Realms, the lands between Waterdeep and bustling Amn have long been thought of as the Empty Lands-a vast stretch of wilderness folks only venture into to get from one place to another. Legends abound of grisly fates that befell unfortunate travelers at the hands of orcs, trolls, hobgoblins (and worse!) said to infest the area in veritable armies. Thankfully there is Baldur's Gate, both the shelter and life line for folk of the Coast."

- Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast

Baldur's Gate: The Sword Coast Chronicles is a new PW set in the Forgotten Realms that spans the southern end of the Sword Coast.

This server will primarily be a light role-playing one, with a lot of opportunity for both role-playing and hack and slash adventuring. When players leave the cities or villages and go off exploring and questing, they enter a wilderness matched by few places in the Realms. The area covered has great potential to show off the Sword Coast and immerse players into a true Forgotten Realms adventure.

We have access to over 50 Forgotten Realms source books and hundreds of maps. Every area and creature has been made with the Forgotten Realms lore in mind. Come join us in Faerun, one of the greatest fantasy creations of our time.

Judging by the screenshots, there's nothing amateurish about this PW and they certainly do bring back fond memories...

Find out more at the persistent world's homepage. If anyone has already played in this PW, please post your impressions here!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Shorn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well

I have to say, I have played on Dasaria 2, where I originally came from and do still play, and have since played on the Forgotten Realm. I tried Baldurs Gate on a whim, and was instantly hooked, despite the moderate difficulty of leveling on the server. The DM interaction is like nothing I have seen on any other servers, and might be my favorite feature of it. Next to the the areas are simply brilliantly designed.

It does have its flaws, being in beta, and still having a few things to iron out, but I encourage any of you interested to come give it a shot.

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Sp this is strictly for online play? Or can you play it as a single player too?

4. The_Curt_Jester Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

This is only for online play.

--------------------------

To add something about the PW itself...

This persistent world is, to say the least, going to be epic in scale (if not already). Players can walk from Baldur's Gate all the way down south to the Cloud Peak Mountains, explore the forests along the roads, venture deep within dungeons that have treasure, and very soon, journey into the Underdark.

During the course of one's adventures, a player will come across various quests, an abundance of enemies that differ in each map, customized items, and many DM-run events for all levels. There are many guilds that players can join, both DM-run and player-made that allow your PC to be much more involved in the goings-on. For those who wish to role-play (most of us do), the forums are quite active with in-character posts, biographies, journals, and accounts of events that always add new and interesting material for both the players and the DMs to build on.

Whatever you wish to do, whether it's just to explore and build your PC or interact with other players in role-playing, this server provides everything. Come check it out and I will (almost) guarantee you will be hooked as so many others are.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  5. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The roleplaying aspect of it sounds very very good. But personaly, I can`t stand it when I play games that lets me respawn. If the only risk is loosing some XP points from dying, the excitement of the game is lost to me. I am kinf of old-school in that area.. I`m afraid.

Is is possible to do play by post stuff there? I mean without playing the game online on a server. Just do text based.

6. The_Curt_Jester Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Nobody does actual Play-by-post in the forums. The in-character posts are mainly accounts of events, letters, and so forth. The closest to this would have been the PnP-style event one DM ran. Instead of doing the usual spawns, he had everything on paper and the players took turns doing actions.

Even though perma-death is not forced, if a player wants to impose that penalty on himself, none of the DMs will prevent it. We have had players who have done that already, and I'm sure others will in the future.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.