1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Baldur's Gate 2 Board news

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Sep 4, 2000.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by NightKin)

From Brent Knowles, BG2 Designer

A little info on Neverwinter Nights:

Actually Neverwinter is going to be a complete game. So far it looks awesome. You will be able to play it in a single-player mode (much like BG and BG2, I imagine) but its greatest feature is its multiplayer component.

Dungeon masters will be able to run campaigns just like in PnP but over the Internet. Each player will play a character while the Dungeon Master will 'run' the world. Neverwinter will ship with a toolset allowing people to make their own modules. It is a very exciting project and I think it could potentially change the way people play games.

From Derek French, Line Producer on MDK2

Number of CDs:

BG2 will ship with 4 CDs in a standard 4-CD jewel case in all editions.

On video cards:

You should be OK with a TNT1, depending on whether its the 8 Meg or 16 Meg one. Obviously, more is better.

All cards will work perfectly fine in 2D and the cards with good, solid OpenGL drivers will work well in 3D.

System requirements:

I tested out BG2 on a P-Pro 200 with a Rendition V1000 and a 3dfx Voodoo 1 video cards. BG2 will play, you just have to turn down the details and effects. Do not expect the 3D option to work that well on a minimum spec machine as there is a great deal of work that must be done to render the scene in 3D. The more RAM the better. I loved the performance increase when my home machine went from 64 to 128 Meg.

The BG2 team is at work for the entire weekend. No rest for the wicked.

From David Gaider, BG2 Designer

Rangers and familiars:

Rangers don't get anything like familiars at all. The closest that they come is the Beastmaster's ability to summon animals to aid him and the figurines of wondrous power. The idea of an 'animal companion' as a familiar-type for the ranger was once booted around, but that is not in BG2.

Avengers and their spells:

They are included in his spell book and are available to be chosen along with his regular spells. He does not cast or use them as special abilities.

On screenshots being posted:

I'm not angry at Ironworks, nor do I think they were being irresponsible. My caution to everyone, here, was based on the fact that any information (even the small amount given out at Ironworks) seems to do nothing but fuel speculation... which can be almost as bad as actual plot revelations.

I do wish that anything to do with Imoen hadn't been let out of the bag, but I suppose that was inevitable.

Ironworks apologized and offered to put up the spoiler warnings on their site (which they apparently did) and I don't think Bio has anything to @#$%! about, here. We sent them the preview and said they can post whatever they like... they only have the first couple of chapters (if I'm not mistaken) and any apprehension I might have over the plot of the game being revealed is only my opinion (knowing what's coming) and I don't think reflects the judgment of the site at all.

After all... they're trying to provide you guys with great screenshots and are doing US a service by getting you guys interested in the game. If they happen to make a mistake or something, I'm sure they can be forgiven... my caution to you guys was just that: a caution, for your own benefit.

Number of weapon slots for clerics and thieves:

Two, same as the mage/thief.

In game romance:

I said that there were racial restrictions but no alignment restrictions. Whether or not a potential love interest will begin a romance plot with, say, a halfling depends on whether or not that character either is a halfling or would be inclined to romance with a halfling. Not every character would, but then again not every character wouldn't.

Preordering:

Now, I don't have much of an opinion on this, but I figure if Interplay wants to put forward a bit of an incentive so people order the game directly from them OR offer a similar incentive to stores so people order from them... what's the big deal?

It's not like the extra stuff is being taken away or was even considered part of the game at any point in time, so you're missing nothing. And should you want the extra items, the codes will be released within a week (or less, probably) after release.

So don't sweat it. Shoot, if I see some ad saying 'buy this TV from us and we'll give you free bucket seats!', it's my choice whether or not to get it from them or go down to the store and get it on my own. I consider that par for the course.

Of course, I don't have to pay for the game, myself, so make of my opinion what you will.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.