1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Bad People

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Dice, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Have you ever come across someone that made you feel wary, although there wasn't any particular thing you could point out, that made you feel that way?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  2. Generic Imp Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

An incredibly specific question.

3. WickedPrince Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Yes; sometimes frequently. The first major one was my stepfather. That can partially be explained by the fact that my real father was a jerk and I was glad when mom took me and left him. After that I've had trouble trusting other guys; especially guys that are bigger than myself or have authority over me for any reason. But in my stepfather's case my instincts proved right. A bit more than a year before my mom met him his first wife divorced him and convinced the judge at their divorce that he was a danger to his own children and should be denied any contact. The judge agreed. So I was the victim of his redirected self-hatred for nearly my whole childhood.

There have been others that subtly reminded me of them. Men who proved to have a vicious and vindictive streak. Too much of the time I ended up their favorite scapegoat.

4. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    @WickedPrince - It sucks that you had to have that childhood Wicked. I guess the worst part about it is that your mother didn't trust her own instincts about your stepfather(or maybe her radar just wasn't working anymore.)

@ imp - Focused questions seem to make more focused answers. You never really know which direction a conversation is going to take anyway, in the end.

5. WickedPrince Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

She definitely should have known better. I have the suspicion that she convinced herself that I was the problem; not him. When I finally got out of there though she learned who the real problem was. I'm not sure if I'm more saddened that there are people like him out there; or that we both had to live with him because she wasn't smart enough to see the light.

I suspect that he asks such vague questions just to see what sorts of answers he'll get.

Dice likes this.
  6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    It's survival.

The brain is designed to find patterns to keep you safe. Sometimes they backfire, sometimes they pick up on things so subtle you can't quit put your finger on what is reminding you of danger.

I used to get it fairly frequently but never trusted myself. Now I've been more conscious about noticing red flags it happens less because I can put my finger on what is wrong and why I've been able to weed a lot out of my life that wasn't good for me and also work on breaking down patterns that weren't helping me any more.

Dice likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.