1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

AUSUpdateWtitle -- what is this?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Klorox, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

It is some program that isn't responding when I shut down. I don't know how to fix this problem, please help!

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Is it AUSUpdate, or ASUSUpdate?

3. Klorox

It's AUSUpdateWTitle.

I also have the smae thing happen with another program:

AXTimer.

What are these things? Why aren't they working properly?

4. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Normally google helps, but I didn't find any AUSUpdateWTitle.

AXTimer seems to be part of Viewpoint media player, you should uninstall it.

EDIT: Forgot, commmand wtitle() means the window title, if that's any help

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Do this:

1) Ensure that those programs have no access to Internet. Check your firewall settings.

2) CTRL + ALT + Delete and close the named processes.

3) Go to start-menu and choose "Run..." Write "Services.msc"

4) Arrange the list according of "Start-up Type." Then find the entry related to the named processes, choose start-up type and set it to disabled.

6. Klorox

Wordplay, I appreciate the help, but I don't know how to check firewall settings. If you could make your instructions a little more "computer illiterate" friendly, I'd really appreciate it.

TIA

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Well, it's rather difficult to explain, since I don't know which firewall you have or do you have one at all (in which case you should be really worried). In ZoneAlarm, which is freely available from ZoneLab's site, you simply need to click 'deny' when a program asks to access Internet.

If you use some other brand, check their controls. They aren't as user-friendly as in ZA, IMO, but it's up to you to decide. ;)

8. Klorox

I have the standard Windows Firewall.

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Then I suggest you do this:

1) Download THIS firewall. Unplug your Internet cable.

2) Control-panel >> Firewall settings >> Disable Windows firewall.

3) Install ZoneAlarm. Skip the whatnot until the setup finishes. Once the "ZA" icon appears in the right-most part of your start-menu, double-click it. Disable "email protection" and "anti-virus monitoring" if you don't need those (I don't).

4) Plug-in the cable again. Restart your computer if you haven't already done so. Now you can control which programs have your permission to access Internet.

Only P2P programs and games require server-rights (ability to download and upload files from your computer), so, the very least, deny that from every other program. If you get a sudden flood of odd programs asking to access the net, you should google for the names (e.g: NastyVirus.exe) to ensure they are legitime.

Always deny if you are unsure and haven't launched a new program right before the request.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    That's not a firewall...it not much more than a sneeze guard. :bad: IIRC, Windows Firewall only blocks *incoming* internet traffic, not *outbound*...and it doesn't do a very good job of blocking the inbound stuff. :skeptic:

Do as Wordplay suggested and download/install ZoneAlarm. It's free, and it's one of the top rated firewalls out there. It's also got a nice flash based tutorial on how to use it! :thumb: :rolling:

11. Klorox

Okay... now I've read somewhere that having 2 firewalls is worse than having just 1. Should I uninstall or deactivate Windows Firewall when I install ZoneAlarm?

12. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

That's what I'd recommend. Just disable Windows Firewall and let ZoneAlarm reign supreme.

13. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I'd suggest READING THE BLOODY ADVICE YOU WERE GIVEN TWO POSTS UP.

Sheesh. Some people.

14. Klorox

Thank you for being so helpful, Taza.

15. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I agree with all the above endorsements of ZoneAlarms. It rocks.

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] ZoneAlarm has the option to turn off Windows Firewall by itself. This option is on by default, so you don't need to worry about Windows Firewall.

You can check in ZA / Firewall / Main tab -> Advanced if "Disable Windows Firewall" is on.

17. Some Guy Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Good info!

Thanks for the info about both the "AUSUpdateWTitle.exe" program and the ZoneAlarm firewall (which I just downloaded & installed).

Good tips.

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'd recommend against using Zone Alarm these days. I've had regular issues with it in the years that I've been using it, but practically none since I switched to Online Armor Free.

19. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have been using ZoneAlarm for the last 3 or so years. More recently as as a complete protection package. I have never had an issue with it. I regularly run a CCleaner scan as well, pretty much weekly. The combination of the two seem to keep my PC running smooth.

Tal,

What problems do you know of? Maybe Iam ignorant to them and need to fix something...:confused:

20. Taluntain

Media:
    I'm sure not every user is having these issues, but every few weeks or so ZoneAlarm would randomly freeze my Internet connection (blocking all traffic) and I'd be always guessing whether it was a router or connection issue, but in the end disabling Zone Alarm usually got the connection back right away. I've seen the same issues on other computers with ZA, at least on Windows XP.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.