1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Aura cleansed = less rep. points?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by stormhand, Nov 20, 2001.

1. stormhand Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] My party used to have a reputation score of 20 and I now find the reputation down to 10 without having done anything evil (at least, that I think so, and trust me, I would know if I committed an evil act!).

I do however remember seeing something like "Stormhand's aura cleansed" and not knowing what it meant; would that be the explanation to my reputation being lowered to 10?

Thanks.

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I don't think it does have anything to do with reputation. Sometimes I get that message when my inventory is full and somebody gives me an item. A message comes up and says 'aura cleansed' and I drop an item on the ground.

As for rep lowering, are you sure you didn't get caught stealing, or accidentally kill someone. Heh, accidentally kill someone. That's a good one. :heh:

3. stormhand Gems: 4/31

Nope, never pickpocketed in the game!

As far as "accidently killing someone", well I never attacked anyone unless in self defence. And I don't think I have been mean or threathening with anyone either (the price to pay for being good!). So I don't think some innocent person was "accidently killed".

4. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Is your game patched? And do you use gatekeeper to edit your characters or the game? Other than that I don't know what could be causing this , but it's not the aura cleansed bit.

5. stormhand Gems: 4/31

Firstly, TotSC is installed, so I presume it is automatically patched.

Secondly, I do not/did not edit any characters; I don't quite like cheating (no offense meant!).

But I will take your word for the "aura cleansed" thing. Thank you for your input.

6. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Aura cleansed definately isn't it. I had it happen to my character multiple times and to other party members as well. As for it's actualy purpouse in the game, I don't know. But it never lowered my rep point. What it sounds like to me is that you really accidently kill someone, as killing an innocent townsperson (or innocnet anyperson) will take exactly 10 from your rep. And you don't necessarly have to attack the person to do it. Area of effect spells also work quite nicely for the blundering fool that walks into their path. Fireball comes to mind as it happened to me once in ToB (how was I to know there were prisoners in there?!?). Anyway, it definatley sucks, but if you want to raise it quickly again, I think you can raise it up to 17 by donating money to temples. Plus there are plenty of quests throughout the came that will raise rep points.

7. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] And there is a patch for TotSC available in the Baldur's Gate section of Sorcerer's Place.

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Maybe a lighting bolt or fireball or cloudkill or just doing a quest a very wrong way can have caused this problem. Ah, also never kill guards, also not when you do self defense... You can recover your Rep with GateKeeper or just by doing quests that increase this.reputation.

9. ArchAngel Guest

[​IMG]
    Nice one Headbanger, Why not just complete the game? :p

Well I love to have my aura cleansed nomatter what it means. I haven't noticed any connection to reputation. Don't worry about the reputation, as long as your group knows that they are doing the right thing. Perhaps someone spread rumours about your group. And they were believed.If so, that is one smart computer you have, going A.I on you. :)

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited November 20, 2001).]

10. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I don't think the "aura cleansed" thing has anything to do with being good or evil. My current game has a mostly evil party with a rep that wavers between 6 and 9 at any given point, and my main character got the "aura cleansed" message after completing a quest in Baldur's Gate.

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

I never had that whole message "Aura Cleaned". When exactly do you get this message?

Nobleman, what happened to your name? ;)

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I think you probably killed someone by mistake, hehe. ;) It happens! When I was completing the Skyship quest my fireballs toasted the serf that turned hostile. So sue me, I bought it all back... just like I did after leaving Drizzt a corpse hehe

13. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Once Garrick, idiot that he is, appeared to shoot a tavern patron for no apparent reason. The whole tavern went hostile, and I think maybe the guards got involved....hm, can't remember really, it was a long time ago. Anyway, I reloaded after that.

14. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Killing a paladin does wonders to your reputation :D.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I disagree ;) Nobody was around to say that Ajantis had bought the farm... through me hehe

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

You think nobody was around.... But what about all that Ankhegs? :)

17. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think "Aura Cleansed" refers to items that are of opposite alignment in your posession that you get rid of. I have an all good aligned party and when I gave Gorak's? skull to the prietess in the Temple of Tymora, I got the message.

As far as reputation is concerned, if you fight the guard when you do the Thieves guild quests or kill the servant for the three women in the Skyship quest, or any servant for that matter, you will loose reputation points. Important safety tip, if someone turns red when you start to fight but doesn't attack you, don't kill them. That will lower your reputation points.

Hope this helps and is correct

18. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

I got "Aura cleansed" when I talked to the dwarf (who gives you a protection scroll to use against Sarevok and his companions) in the area south of Durlag's Tower. Didn't loose any items there.

19. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Maybe it's part of completeing particular quests? For example, when your characters are given a quest that is more stressful than usual and after it is completed they aren't obsessing over it any more (Ha, Ha,Ha,...) I'm also curious as to what this is concerning.

20. sorvo Guest

I got it for getting Firebeard Elvenhair's Identify scroll in Candlekeep!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.