1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Attacking Mages

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Dropbear, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Dropbear Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I am really confused about the 'breaching' type spells that you use to cast on mages to lower their resistance/defensive spells etc. I know about BREACH which seems really good, but what else should I be looking for?

I am currently getting my butt kicked for badness by the group of mages the sewers.

2. Breach is good as a general, all-around spell protection remover, but isn't a silver bullet. True sight will remove pesky illusions and such. If something is not available, then the thief's detect illusion works as well. Dispel/Remove Magic also works well. When Breach does not remove all the spell protections (and it usually doesn't when a high-level mage casts many protections), Ruby Ray of Reversal, used after Breach can render even a strong mage defenseless.

By the group of wizards in the sewers, I think you mean Tarnor the Hatchetman & Co. I can't recall any other group of people that most have a tough time against. They're a tough bunch. Insect Plague works wonders against them. :evil: If not, you should cast preparation spells like Haste, Strength of One, etc. Then something like Fireball or Skull Trap can do heavy damage against the whole group. The wizard, Gaius (IIRC), is a tough mage, especially if you're relatively low-level. Breach and True Sight should dispel most protections, but even then you have to deal Symbol, Fear, which isn't a favorable spell used against you, especially in the sewers.

Of course, you could just pay 1000 gold, but who'd want to miss out on their great magical loot?

[This message has been edited by creudzfeldt-jakob (edited January 30, 2002).]

3. Lithorn Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] Use remove magic on the whole group of them. It can cut through almost anything. For the mage, just shoot breach and ruby ray of reversal at him. Use may want to keep several scrolls/spells of ruby ray, seeing the mage has quite a few congencys.

4. Yeah, but remove magic has only a 50% chance to work, with the level modifiers, and it won't do much in the way of seven or eight protections stacked all on one person.

5. Dropbear Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ruby Ray is quite a high level spell isnt it?

I am only in chapter 2 and don't have that spell available, but thanks anyway!

6. Lord Sarevok Guest

Only ones I use are:

Breach: For dispelling combat protections
    Secret Word: dispells one spell protection of 8th level or lower
    Ruby Ray: Dispells one protection of 9th level or lower
    True Sight: Dispells all illusions every round

7. Yogojunzo Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Using a Protection from Magic scroll on an enemy mage will eliminate all his/her spell protections and prevent her from casting any more. This leaves them as easy prey for fighters.

8. CrayZHorse Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I wiped them out clean with a few well placed Insect Plagues, a Firesword for Jaheira and some good old fashioned swordwork from Minsc.

I find that Insect Plague works fairly well on most Mages...sharp blades work on the rest.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Once your char reached higher level the lvl-3 spell remove magic (the white spiral icon spell) is remarkably effective on standard opponents (vs. guys like Jon Irenicus high level stuff is better anyway). I used it later in the game with good sucess.

Remove magic is relatively low level and allows you to have a nice number of effective breach spell (without the silly area effect of dispell magic - IMO destroy magic is what an inquisitor should have).

[Edit: Thanks Sarevok]

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited January 30, 2002).]

10. Lord Sarevok Guest

It's Remove Magic I believe.

Actually, I think Dispel Magic is more useful for an inquistitor because I'm usually dispelling effects on my own party members, not enemies. His immunities to charm and hold also make this a better pick, as he'll usually be around to dispell them.

Problem is, when you cast as many spells as I do on your party members, it's kinda a problem especially because it's at twice his level, meaning that it'll usually whipe off ALL of your protection and other spells.

11. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

You can always send summoned mosters at them and attack with ranged weapons. Summoned monsters tend to absorb your enemies worst offensive spells (they aren't usually smart enough to save the really bad ones for PCs and NPCs).

I've also had success with miscast magic against mages. No need to remove their protections if they can't attack you successfully.

My favorite method against mages, though, is the tactical retreat. Get them to cast their defensive spells, then run away. Leave the area. Wait until the spells' durations expire, then come back. This works especially well if you send the summoned monsters at them first, that way: 1) they don't follow you; and 2) they use up both offensive and defensive spells fighting summoned monsters.

Of course, no list of suggestions would be complete without mention of my old standy cloudkill. Cast cloudkill, then immediately turn invisible or hide in shadows (whether they can see you or not). They'll just stand there and take the damage, and as we all know mages only have a few hit points. If you're not invisible or hiding in shadows, they'll come find the caster (it's not a bad idea to be wearing boots of speed).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.