1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Assuming TNO is a Mage, what physical stats should be bumped?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Klorox, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I have my CHA at 19, WIS at about 22, and my INT at 19 (with a tattoo).

That's about as high as I think I'll need my mental stats to ever go. What physical stats should be raised now?

Bumping STR might allow me to skip from STR 18 to 19 later without going through those annoying exceptional STR fractions.

Bumping DEX will help with AC, but TNO is rarely in combat (and when he is, it's after the real Fighters are already targeted). I don't use the Thief class at all anymore.

Bumping CON will help with regeneration, but I've got a long way to go before it will help with more HP. Besides, TNO is immortal!

What stat is best to bump for me now? Do I need anymore in my mental stats?

2. Nordom Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

id go for 13 dex then balance the rest between int and wis

13 dex helps for snapping some necks in mortuary and catching ppl trying to pickpocket you

edit: i see your not just starting lol. id just bump con at that point.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'd put intelligence at a natural 19 -- there are other great tattoos.

It really depends on where you are. Planning to have an 18 str by the time you hit curst is a good idea. Otherwise, I'd split them between con and dex. You'll have plenty of ability points by the end of the game (I had 18's in all stats with 25 in str and wis).

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Really? I was really impressed with the two Mage specific tattoos. Bonus spells are great! I can't see myself going without that Tattoo of the Magi once I get it.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tattoo of the Redeemer is quite good as are the ones after Ravel. I tend to find doubling 1st and 2nd level spells to be less useful by the end of the game.

6. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I find the first level spells to be very useful near the end of the game, especially the old reliable magic missile. Many of the main foes (final battle too, if you go that route) have extremely high saves and it seems NO is cursed with low dice rolls on higher level spells. I know this isn't likely, but I was getting a consistent 20+ on my magic missiles (and Dak'kon's version) near the end (with quick cast time), while struggling to significantly hurt foes with higher level spells.

7. Boy at a busstop Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Dex is basically useless for TNO. If enemies manage to mob you in this game, you're pretty much screwed anyway, 2 or 3 points of AC aren't going to change much. I'd say just pump up con for that delicious regen.

Also, I agree with ChickenIsGood, first level spells retain their use throughout the entire game. They're usually some of my most frequently cast spells (well, except for that fire and ice ball, can't recall the name at the moment).

Aargh, all this talk of PS:T is making me want to replay it, but I can't find my cds...

8. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I just played as a mage so it is all fresh in my mind. The worst part is that I'm getting pangs to play again, but I have to finish all my essays!

I know it is late, but might as well add that constitution is the most important physical stat for a mage. You don't often go into melee, so strength (THAC0) isn't that important, and for the same reason dexterity isn't either. The hit points and regeneration that constitution provides outweigh the AC bonus from dexterity (and strength doesn't matter too much).

9. Minstrel Wandering Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Not to be a spoilsport dear friend, but there was no need to spend even a single point on CHA, since mages can cast Friends. Two consecutive castings, even with a base CHA of 9, can get you immediately to 25.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.