1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Assassin Questions

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by LordNocturne, Aug 12, 2001.

1. LordNocturne Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Does the skill 'Move Silently' help Assasins at all?

Also, is a Sword/Shield Assassin a good idea, or should i duel wield? What are the best weapons for an Assassin? Katanas? Short Swords? (Gotta the short sword of backstabbing for an assassin :) Daggers?

Thanks in Advance

2. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] i would dual wield katanas for the celestial fury and big damage

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    i use a single hand katana

4. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] Yeah, use katanas. However, put yer slot in single handed weapon instead. Since the chance of you hitting with two weapons reduced MUCH when you only have one slot in "two weapons".
    Move Silently is for backstabbing - you get a bigger chance to do it successfully.(Very useful for Assassins)
    PS. I´m playing an Assassin at the moment, and I must say that bg2 never has been more fun. They ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
    good luck to ye.

5. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I must concur. I am playing an assassin for the first time and I have never enjoyed a game this much. Also, since I no longer have need of a thief, the new dialogue possibilities are also quite amusing. Keldorn and Korgan make quite the pair.

As for sword/shield vs. dual-wield, I actually prefer neither thereby leaving a slot open for my bow. It's all a matter of playing style though; I have three fighters so I can get away with using my assassin as more secondary support (when not scouting or backstabbing).

[This message has been edited by JohnnyRTFM (edited August 12, 2001).]

6. corval Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I too am now playing an assassin. Forget a sheild or dual wielding as a bow is an awesome weapon when poisoned. you can disrupt mages from afar after you have backstabbed. go with a one handed weapon and take that prof. it will help your AC.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Of course the stealth abilities "hide in shadows" & "move silent" are useful *even* for an assassin .... it is actually what enables you do do a successful backstab - there you need to aproach your victim's back *unseen* or you won't surprise it ;)

As for arming your assassin: Shortswords are excellent, scimitars are better than longswords due to their better initiative (and due to Belm) and daggers are wonderful. As for weapon style: Since an assassin can just have a buckler iirc, it is just as good to give him single weapon style instead (gaining the advantage of an increased chance of a critical hit).

8. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I also recommend, that you take care to improve your assasin's set traps ability.
    You don't need to sacrifice any points to find traps because Imoen, Nalia and Jan also have that ability high enough, but Yoshimo who is the perfect trap layer, isn't available later in the game. I think you can always use some well layed traps with your assasin, and you don't need Yoshimo at all.

9. corval Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

but, if you are playing an assassin, you may not have another thief with you to detect those traps. I try to go with as few as possible.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.