1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ashes of a Fallen Empire - my new Persistent World!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Alavin, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I'm looking for interest in my new PW for NWN.

A brief plot synopsis: the module is set in a city in the north of an empire, on the frontier. But that empire is dying, due to corruption; there exists a force called the Taint, a semi-sentient plague that twists peoples minds. Guided by an unknown power, this taint corrupted several politicians who worked in secret to tear down the Empire. People eventually realised that this was happening, but by that stage it was too late; the tainted ones held the majority of the power (although the Emperor still held ultimate power, and remained untainted, he remains unable to prevent what's happening), and many other politicians, seeing that the Empire was at the point of collapse, attempted to gain as much as they could from the situation, raiding the city treasuries and raising private armies, defying the Emperor. This hastened the decline.

At the beginning of the module, the Empire has not quite collapsed, but it's inevitable; a core of politicians are attempting to hold the Empire together, but even they can see that they're just delaying the inevitable. So they begin the process by which each city may become self-sustaining, thereby saving the lives of the people who would starve without regular food deliveries, etc.

It's predominantly a roleplaying module. Non-RP is allowed, but to get to the positions of power, you have to be a proven roleplayer.

"Positions of power"? Each of the Guilds has a player acting as Guildmaster, who makes decisions on behalf of his Guild. Each guild has a treasury, which the GM can use to purchase additions to his guild from the builders. They have other powers depending on the Guild, too, and most of the guilds hold some form of political influence.

"Political influence"? Most of the Guilds hold a position on the Council; the representative may or may not be the GM. They have varying amounts of votes, depending on their Guild; for example, the House of Nobles has more votes than the University, which has more votes than the Hive (which isn't even a part of the Council). The Council has a treasury, and works in a similar way to Guilds, but they may perform upgrades server-wide. They also have the responsibility of performing court actions, and other interesting things. Of course, upgrades will still be performed regardless of what the Council wants, as we do want to keep adding to it. But if the Council wants a new blacksmith at the Market, they can pay for it.

DM involvement will be high. There will be events run often, and I've made several tools to make it easier.

This may seem optimistic, but it's easier than it sounds. The Guild framework is in place, and it's very simple to apply it to other Guilds. There are also builders working with me, producing areas.

Predicted release date: some time mid-summer. The City itself is almost done, but lacks quests and a number of guilds.

So, I'll need scripters, builders, idea-generators, DMs, players, interest and comments. We have a website (very little there, though: http://aoafe.110mb.com ), and a forum found on the site. Come post stuff, or just say what you think.

That's probably my longest post ever.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.