1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are you all aware of these bugs?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by HeresiarchQin, Jan 1, 2004.

1. HeresiarchQin Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The following bugs still exist even if you have: the latest official patch installed; the SoA SPfixpack installed.

1.The spell "Doom". It have two bugs:
    1. Instead of a casting time of 10 (1 round), it has 1!
    2. Unlike Greater Malison, Doom CAN be stacked.

2.The spell "Draw Upon Holy Might". The description reads "casting time: 2", but in fact it's 5! However, personally I prefer leave it as it is. Because the PnP DUHM's casting time is 2, but it allow you to buff up only 1 ability with a single cast, so a casting time of 5 does balance the fact that the BG2 one buffs up 3 abilities at the same time.

3."Entangle". Not many people like to use this spell because there's a +2 save bonus vs it...or is there? NO! The scripts all lacks the +2 save bonus.

4."Mental Domination" and "Domination". Nevermind the differences of these spells by reading through their descriptions; the scripts of them are completely the same, just with a different file name.

5."Black Blade of Disaster". It would be nice if it don't disintegrate enemies, so fighter/mages can use it and get the loot at the same time...wait, you CAN do them at the same time, because the original spell's script of it does "slay" the opponent, not "disintegrate" it!

6.The Seeking Sword of the priest of Helm. 2d4 damage as long swords they do have a little advantage. No, you are tricked! They do only 1d8 damage!

7.The Blackrazor. First, the STR bonus are supposed to be gained if you get the 15% (or 10%? I forgot it) chance, but the script made it give you 3 extra STR WITH EVERY HIT! Also, the effects (level drain + bonus HP + haste) should be supposed to work combined, but it seems they all work separately, so with this hit you may level drain the target but no bonus HP and haste, but the next hit you get bonus HP but no haste nor level drain...

8.Staff of Woodlands. The SPfixpack fixed some bugs of it but grants it 2 new bugs: it lacks the original bonus AC of Base AC 3! And it lacks the Barkskin visual effect as well!

9.Contingency and Chain Contingency. Apparently, they all have NO casting time. So you can actually cast Chain Contingency and put 3 Horrid Wilting in it and trigger it right away, all done in the middle of a battle...

I think there are still some bugs left out but I can't rememeber them now...since there are full of custom fixes in my override directory.

2. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

How long did it take you to come up with that list??
    Are you comparing the scripts to the manual's description or the description in the spellbook (in game) as sometimes the manual's discription varies. Also various patches and mods can change them too.

3. HeresiarchQin Gems: 2/31

Some (if not all) spells, like Doom, I compared with the AD&D PHB rules or the game manual. The Blackrazor and the Staff of Woodlands I tested it out myself and of course I did read the script of them. The Black Blade of Disaster and Contigencies bugs are very obvious. I have the newest Bioware patch and don't have any mods which will affect these spells/items installed.

4. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I assume you mean the Effects list, since items and spells do not have scripts.

I'm not 100% sure that the contigency thing is a bug. I'll take a look at these myself and e-mail the fixes to Extremist, but I do have the absolute latest patch installed, which fixes the Blackrazor bug if nothing else (explain that one in more detail, please. You don't get maxxed strength while hitting enemies with that sword.)

There's no way to code them together, so something tells me that you're reading the description wrong or have been misinformed. The three are not supposed to work combined.

5. HeresiarchQin Gems: 2/31

About the Blackrazor: oops, my fault. I didn't check it after I copied the SPfixpack's one to the override directory. Now I just tested the SPfixpack's Blackrazor, the strength bonus + haste + healing effects all work fine, they always bring up together and work properly. The level draining effect seems work separately though, so I I got only around 33% times I drain the target and buff myself at the same time. I do believe that Blackrazor is supposed to drain + buff at the same time, since the sword is draining the victim's power to power up yourself.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31

That may be true, but this isn't possible with the Infinity Engine and Bioware knows it.

7. HeresiarchQin Gems: 2/31

I don't know why, but how can you explain that effects that are supposed to work together (for example, the Flail of Ages' slow effect + slow string) appear "combined" to show up? Take the SPfixpack's Blackrazor for example, the Heal + Haste + Strength ALWAYS combined to show up, and that's not an odd of 15%*15%*15% can do. I think that if several effects share the same probability, then they will take in effect together; but if you want to separate two effects which share the same probability, then you shall use the attribute Probability 2. An example is a certain short sword of a certain god, which is in the expansion pack.

Then why can't Blackrazor's drain effect and buff effect always appear together? I suspect it's the Targettype's problem, because the drain effect affects the victim, while the buff do the job on the wielder.

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31

I'll take a look at how Extremist did it with SP fixpack, but the only way I can think of to do it is by doing three seperate effects, which cannot be combined.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.