1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are there alternatives for panning/moving the camera?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Cpotts67, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Cpotts67 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi,

I just started playing BG for the first time. So far it's pretty good. However, one thing is driving me crazy. Having to drag the mouse around the extents of the screen just to pan the camera. Maybe I am being too picky. Regardless, it's still annoying.

Is there a way to map the camera movement to the arrow keys, similar to an RTS game? Or another alternative?

Thanks!

2. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    You can use the arrow keys.
    In my case only Num Pad keys work and they are bugged on top of it,
    but BG1 has several issues on newer machines anyway.

You can alter scroll speed settings of both, mouse and keys in the settings.

In the end, using mouse works best for me. Just make sure the sensitivity is high enough, so you don't have to move your hand too much.
    You can also go to the map view and double click at a special point so your camera position will be there already.
    This saves time sometimes, too.

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Another tip is to press the character selection key twice. For example, if you want to select your party leader and centre the camera on them, press the "1" key twice. Similarly, to select the whole party (and centre on the party leader) press "=" twice. Holding the key down will keep the camera on them as they move, but it's usually eye-bleedingly jerky to do it this way.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Isn't there an option for holding the alt key and moving the mouse?

5. Cpotts67 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I ended up installing Easy Tutu. The overall improvements are great. Now the arrow keys control the camera too :)

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    One thing that drove me nuts was that when moving the party, you had to scroll the screen or enemies would appear and attack off-screen. When I _finally_ got TOTSC a year or two ago, it got better with the "auto pause - enemy sighted", but it drove me nuts to be ambushed by those Black Talon Elite archer squads from off screen, or the unseen Anakegs killing a party member before I could locate them (they'd attack and hide before the autopause kicked in, and I couldn't locate it).
    It would have been nice if everything in the limited view of the character could have been on the screen at once if you used a higher resolution, and only have the forced scrolling for those using 640x480 mode.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.