1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Are the Undead susceptible to fire around here?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Western Paladin, May 16, 2005.

1. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

[​IMG] In some other games I've played, undead creatures are very susceptible to fire (I remember in Final Fantasy IV, I used to have Rydia cast Fire 4 and Rosa cast Cure 3 and they would waste parties of seven ghouls at a time). What about in Baldur's Gate II? I tend not to use Fireball and Flame Arrow even against Bodhi's guild (preferring the old, hard cheese where I cast Stoneskin and Fire Shield and wear the Amulet of Power while Keldorn, Minsc, Anomen, and Imoen stand back and throw the kitchen sink at the vampires) so I don't really have any first-hand observations. I have seen Daystar's Sunfire ability kill every shadow warrior in the Umar Hills at once, but I actually thought that was a separate class of thing.

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

As default undead are not susceptible to fire, but there might be specific kinds of undead that are more vunreable to fire. I think mummies for example are susceptible to fire while skeletons and vampires are not.

3. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Yeah, sunray is rather different. It does insane damage on a failed safe but that's just to actually kill the bony buggers :)

4. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Actually, in Baldurdash' Elmonster's Journal he claims that undead do take more damage from fire.. i haven't checked this for myself though.

5. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I think undead in D&D never had extra vulnerability to fire. The only exception, as Morgoroth correctly pointed out, was the mummy, which takes double damage from fire.

It only seems that way because fire is a reliable way to damage undead. That is, after you get past their magic resistance. Undead are immune to electricity and cold, so what other mass damage spell could you use? So using fire against undead just stuck like a label.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.