1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Archetype Entertainment - Drew Karpyshyn Joins the Studio

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Feb 17, 2020.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]Drew Karpyshyn talked about the reasons he is joining Archetype Entertainment on his personal blog.

[​IMG]

Archetype Entertainment

Posted on February 11, 2020 by Drew Karpyshyn
    [​IMG]

Wow. It's been a loooong time since I updated this page. The past couple years have been busy for me; I worked on a number of different projects. Some, like the Odyssey of the Dragonlords RPG campaign, were wildly successful. Other projects, like my work as a writer for the interactive narrative mobile app Storyscape, didn't pan out.

Unfortunately, Storyscape was cancelled after only a year. I was lucky enough to have my series - Edge of Extinction - get published before the app went dark, but it sucks knowing it's gone now. A lot of talented people were involved in my project and the other Storyscape titles (Titanic, X-Files, Life 2.0, Eternal City), and I thought we had something with real potential. But sometimes the video game industry is a harsh and unforgiving environment. (Maybe that's what inspired me to write Edge of Extinction?) If you want to get a sense of what we were doing and how it resonated with fans you can check out the Storyscape Reddit... but it might make you long for what was lost.

Fortunately for me, I have another gig now. I'm proud to announce that I'm the lead writer for Archetype Entertainment!

Founded by James Ohlen - the creative genius behind BioWare hits like Baldur's Gate, KOTOR and Dragon Age - Archetype is a new video game studio under the Wizards of the Coast umbrella... and I haven't been this excited to work on a project in a long, long time! (Side note: I've always enjoyed working with WotC; they even published my first novel!)

I've been in the video game industry for twenty years now. When I started at BioWare, everything was fresh and exciting. It was a dream job - talented people working together to create epic games like Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, Mass Effect and Dragon Age. But as we grew and became more successful, things changed. We became more corporate. We were less able to make what we loved, and the teams were pushed to create games based on market research rather than our creative instincts and passions. My dream job became just a job, and I lost the enthusiasm and excitement I once had.

But with Archetype, my passion has been rekindled. The feel in the studio reminds me of my early days at BioWare; I can feel the magic in the air. And even though I can't get too deep into the specifics of what we're working on yet, we're already generating plenty of excitement in the industry.

I know we have big shoes to fill. With BioWare, I was part of a legacy that will endure forever. We created some of the most beloved CRPGs of the past two decades. But I truly believe at Archetype we have the talent and the opportunity to do something just as amazing!

This journey is only beginning, and I know it will be long and challenging. But for the first time in a long time, I can't wait to travel down this path again!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2020
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.