1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Arcane Archer?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] The official guidance says that a wizard might take Arcane Archer levels to bolster his combat capabilities. In reality, is there any point in a wizard taking Arcane Archer levels? How useful is the ability to shoot +1 arrows? Couldn’t he just go and buy some +1 arrows? Wouldn’t he better just casting something like fireball instead?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes. Arcane Archer is really for a combat class that takes a little bit of magic for fun. I took just one level of wizard to get Shield to prevent Magic Missiles and Mage Armor. Then I saved up scrolls to cast when I needed something more powerful like Time Stop or various other utility spells.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You can cast Time Stop from a scroll with only 1 level of wizard?

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yep. I don't think I was playing hard-core difficulty level though...

5. Harbourboy

But just what is the point of the Enchant Arrow function, other than to save money on magic arrows?

6. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Well, that's it really. Normal arrows are 1 gp for 99, magic arrows are quite a bit more. Plus you don't have to carry a bunch of different enchanted arrows, eventually you just have normal and elemental-type (or other special) arrows.

Oh, and as I recall, the enchantment stacks with any other magic on the arrow...

7. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

I've been meaning to try an arcane archer for some time now, but have never got around to it. Some of their other abilities sound pretty fun, but how useful are they in practice? I'm thinking specifically of the imbued fireball arrow and the hail of arrows where you can shoot at every target within a given distance. I can see how the single shot that never misses might be useful for distrupting spellcasters, although I find mages pretty hard to disrupt in NWN due to usually high concentration abilities.

I hear the rogue 10ish/wizard 1/Arcane Archer x is a disgustingly powerful character. Anyone else tried it?

8. Harbourboy

Problem is the high levels of Arcane Archer to get to the never-miss arrow and the hail of arrows. Not much use for someone focussing on Wizard, as the official guidance suggests. But I am glad to see that the arrow enchantment stacks because that means that one or two levels of AA are not a complete waste.

9. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The Arcane Archer is a suboptimal PrC even in P&P, IMO. No spellcasting progression? We are speaking about elves here.

If the Spellsword could still channel his spells through arrows in 3.5, no one would care about the AA.

10. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    @ Will
    I played an Arcane Archer through HotU once, and found it to be a good character to play (though I, iirc, was a ranger xx / Mage 1 / AA xx - Dunno if that's even do-able, soo long ago that I cannot remember what I was). Only problem I ever found to have was *SPOILER* the one-on-one with the Valsharess *SPOILER*.

a good all-round character capable, on the later levels, of dealing quite some massive dmg.

His ability to strike multiple enemies with one shot was what I found to be the most useful (imbue arrow and hail of arrows).

@ HB
    The potency of the enchanted arrows will increase as you gain lvls in AA.

11. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31

Arcane Archers can be great if you focus on AA levels. As a class to supplement wizard, well, not a great idea.

The thing about ranged combat is it's difficult to do lots of damage with a ranged weapon. AAs, due to the increasing enchantment of arrows and the fact that that enchantment stacks with an arrow's given plusses, allows AAs to do some serious damage (100 point crits) once they've gotten enough AA levels.

12. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

The AA's Enchant Arrow also increases *Attack Bonus* and it stacks with all other enchantments. It's by far the best ability of an Arcane Archer in NWN.

13. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Yup, as said before, they're excelent at their job if you focus on AA levels.

An extra +1 AB/damage per 2 levels, on top of everything else, with warrior BAB progression makes for a very reliable and fairly safe, as long as you keep your distance, accurate damage machine.

It's definitely not the best choice to solo with though, always best to have a tank around to take the damage, while you're dishing it out. Could be great in parties, i'll have to try it sometime on a server or two :)

14. Harbourboy

Well, I am going to see if it can work as a supplement to Wizard. Otherwise it's a stupid class if you effectivly have to take two other classes to make it work.

15. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

If you're intending it as a auxiliary class for a wizard, i'd advise against it, thinking of a powergaming perspective. Both classes require a lot of levels to make them effective, so you'd be split between the two paths.

For OC, you'd be fine, of course, having more diversity and focusing on supporting spells, instead of resistable ones, at which you wouldnt have the edge because of lower caster level (provided the enemy has spell resistance at all)
    But you'd gain some versatility, which probably would be more fun, since you dont really need all that much power ;)

16. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

@ Harbourboy: You dont necessarily need two classes to make it work. I believe Arcane Archer levels can be taken by bards, which is supposed to be an excellent way of doing it. A bard would get a reasonable BAB, all the spells that matter (ie buffs, summons and abjurations) and a song that boosts his abilities immensely. Thank the Faerun Pantheon in their entirety for bards who can sing and fight at the same time.

Of course, if you're determined to make it work with wizard it should be fine, but rather than having an awesome archer you'd have a mage who was a bit better than most at using a bow when he ran out of spells.

17. Harbourboy

My Wizard uses a longbow all the time because the spells run out so quickly. A bit of an edge in that area will be a great help and I'm determined to make it work after all your negative predictions. Especially in SoU where there are no good tanking henchmen.

18. Will Gems: 13/31

Veteran

Go for it. Should round him out quite nicely, I would think, and is vastly more feasible from a roleplaying point of view than a fighter who learned a few cantrips just to be able to channel magic into his arrows. Dunno if you were going for roleplayability, but its another bonus :)

19. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31

Veteran

My arcane archer was a really good tank when I needed her to be. She wore medium or light armor with plenty of dex and tumble. If she went to melee I gave her a longsword and a shield and she was good to go. Also dont forget the DR belts they save my lif every time. My character was rouge7-8/bard2-3/AA10 which gave me 4 attacks great skills and the ability to use most any item. She rocked hard core!

20. Harbourboy

Does the +1 enchantment on arrows stack with other types of arrow? For example does a normal Fire Arrow become a Fire Arrow +1?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.