1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anyone think Bioware overdid the random monster generators?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Tyresian, May 21, 2001.

1. Tyresian Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Any one think bioware overdid the random monster generators? At the beginning i kinda liked it cause it made me feel like i was trying to break through a build up of force and the monsters were trying to cover my escape route. Then it became annoying.

I was exploring the ruins under the Firewine bridge or whatever it was. After counting how many flame arrows i had after escaping i found i killed over 300 kobold commandos!!! I say over because i also killed lots of normal kobolds and used some flame arrows!!! I dont kno about you guys but thats just ridiculous.(I now have an irrational hatred towards kobolds, DIE SCUM!!!)

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    But you did get the nice arrows...

3. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

i think that someone has a racial enemy...

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Walking around in Gnoll Fortress summons descent amounts of gnolls too.

5. Ace of Spades Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Try taking a snooze in the gnoll fortress, heh heh heh

6. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Realistically, you'd have to assume that the monsters you kill aren't the only ones there and the monsters bring in reinforcements. Otherwise, you can do a dungeon room by room, going out to rest and heal inbetween, and that's not realistic at all. Fight in fight out.

[This message has been edited by Ironbeard (edited May 24, 2001).]

7. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

In some places tho, this is unrealistic - I was on the highest battlements of Durlag's Tower, and whenever I rested I got attacked by gnolls. How the heck did they get up there? I seriously doubt that they managed to go in through the main door, brave the monsters and traps to get me. Hmmm....

8. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] I just started Firewine Bridge ruins yesterday, and kobold commandos seem to pop out from everywhere! As long as there is a small spot of the legendary fog of war, you can be sure that those critters have rised from the dead and even increased in numbers.

9. I think they overdid it. When I was at the Gnoll Fortress first time I played, I actually stopped playing the game for about a month cause I got so tired of having to fight the same type of creature all the time.. (they could have put in a couple of other species)

10. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Firewine ruins are 10 times worse than gnoll fortress. Kobold commandos will hit you more often (allthough not dealing any critical damage), and your characters will move in all kinds of silly places (especially Imoen for me). The dungeon manouvering system in BG1 must be the worst one ever created. It is hopeless!

11. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Dragon what do you expect in a 'GNOLL' Fortress, Kobolds?
    You're right it is nervy, but poor Dynaheir left as Gnoll food - NO!

Mol you're also right, the behavior of the party in dungeons is the most carpet biting annoyance ever. :mad:

[This message has been edited by BogiTheWaverer (edited May 29, 2001).]

12. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Before you know it, your two characters with the least hit points, the mage and the thief, are captured by a trap or a huge pile of kobolds. Fights are always just around the corners, so you will always have only 1 or two of your peeps firing and get fired at while the rest are running around attracting more scum and disarming traps the hard way.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.