1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Anybody here still watch the CSI shows?

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I find I can watch it for entertainment value. But as somebody who teaches both criminal law and evidence, I find its presentation of criminal justice, and the role of forensic science, at times ridiculously laughable.

Everybody knows, DNA hits are never wrong. Everybody knows, ballistics identification is foolproof and every bit as precise as DNA printing. Like ... changing the firing pin or cleaning the barrel of a gun won't change the striae pattern. :rolleyes:

Everybody knows its ok for cops, especially cops who look like David Caruso, to arm twist suspects against using their constitutional rights to a lawyer and into confessions.

The list goes on for me.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've never watched the spinoffs, but I still watch the original. I like Larry Fishburne :)

3. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Which reminds me of and friend of mine, who works in forensic...
    She feels herself and her work ridiculed with every episode that airs...or spin-off for that matter.

And never fails to point out that: -this and that- doesn't work like that in RL.

But yeah...Caruso is ice cold, baby!

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Used to watch them. Kev has the box sets for half of them so used to just watch them in the evenings winding down.

I'm not exactly a forensic expert but it's so obviously false it's more unintentionally hilarious than dramatic.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'd say that they're doing the police and forensic science a big favour by not being very accurate... I mean, how many criminals and wanna-be criminals do you think also watch these shows and base their crimes on what they think they know about forensics? Millions, obviously. So the less accurate the shows are, the better.

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I use to watch LV unitl Gil left. I now watch NCIS regularly. Though I watch the LV re-runs late at night.

It's not just CSI, most of the cop shows have a crime-lab element as well. CSI, NCIS, Law & Order, Blue Bloods, etc... I think most realizes that most of it is unrealistic, it's that the comon person just wants to believe.

7. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Real life labs don't generally look like high-tech paradises designed by post-modern interior decorators either. And the lab rats aren't all buff and/or bodacious, with high-end wardrobes and $400 hair cuts.

Also, a real life hard case would eat David Caruso alive in an interrogation room. It's always funny to me to see how quickly they cave on TV, like when 'The Closer' goes one-on-one with you. :rolleyes:

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Come on Gaear, of course they are afraid of Keira, she could peck your eyes out with that beaker she sports...

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I like procedurals as much as the next guy. But the 15 minute DNA tests and same day autopsies tend to make one role his eyes, especially when you read in the papers that a DNA sample can literally take months to be processed.

I know why they do it, of course, so I take them for what they are. There has to be a whole lot of liberties taken with the facts sometimes to portray the overall message, which is still a valid message sometimes despite the artistic licence.

10. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    Yeah, she scares me a little. ;)

If you ever get arrested and don't want to implicate yourself, just don't talk to any closers or Carusos. That's it. Then you win, as far as that goes.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I find it too amusing how none of the suspects ever talk back to Shades :cool: or threaten him after he's done with his little speech. As if their gift of speech had been taken away by his ginger awesomeness. :shake:

And how just about everyone confesses to everything before the end of the show... too funny!

But honestly, this kind of TV is entertainment. If they get any of the facts right, great, but that's not really the point. You should watch documentaries when you want facts. Hollywood does entertainment, not facts.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.