1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Any incentive to ever play a Favored Soul or a Spirit Shaman?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Beren, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Anybody here play a Favored Soul or a Spirit Shaman, or would given an opportunity?

I have trouble seeing it.

Sorcerers weren't that much trouble, cause you could give prime emphasis to Charisma. Everything else was secondary.

The Sorcererized versions of the divine spellcaster, though, seem like a different story.

Having to keep up both Wisdom for maximum spell level, and Charisma for saving throw DC, just seems to strain character development to the point of having to neglect the character's physical aspects.

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I really like the concept of Favoured Soul and have played one and made a couple of others.

She played really well actually, her concept was more intellectual and she was a Favoured of Boccob. If CJ sees this he'll probably remember her - Maya. She was more focused on wisdom than charisma but still wasn't bad, at worst a charisma boosting item or a focus on buffing and defence, as they're meant to be a more warrior cast fousing on spells to improve their performance isn't too shabby, Bulls Strength for example with a quarter staff with the free feats on top :)

Spirit Shaman I haven't played or really read much upon to be honest. I've played Dragon Shaman but that character got very muddled up and the campaign wasn't entirely suitable.

3. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Maya was a good character, those priesty types can be rather a handful in melee.

We also had a Favoured Soul in my tabletop campaign where i'm a player, and he was pretty good. Went the big-sword-and-hitty-shouty route. Mainly used his spells to buff and then went in swinging.

As for Spirit Shaman, our DM has always liked the look of them, but nobody has actually played one yet. Maybe i'll be the first!

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Actually, I thought spirit shamans aren't a half bad class, although I have yet to play one. They are a strange mix of prepared and spontaneous casters - they choose their spells known each day from all on the druid's list, but then cast them spontaneously as sorcerers. The issue with wisdom and charisma is a serious one, but with decent rolls or PB creation it should be manageable.

5. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As I understand, true D&D Favored Souls and Spirit Shamans are far removed from their NWN2 counterparts. For one thing, there are feats that can allow them to be single attribute dependent again (in some obscure rulebook somewhere, I don't know the specifics but I've read about these more than once in munchkin threads). Spirit Shamans in particular can actually choose which spells to "memorize" each day - that's a shocking amount of versatility right there.
    Both of these classes have better HP/BAB/saves than wizards and sorcerers, so when it all comes down to it they're not as magic-dependent. Both of these classes also have access to some of the most powerful defense/supportive magic in the game, and these are not save-dependent. Spirit Shamans are very effective in settings with lots of spirits (which includes Fae and Elementals on top of the incorporeal undead variety - that actually includes a lot of creatures) and can detect/communicate with ghosts (which are everywhere). They are also very difficult to kill when built properly, what with their high fort/will saves and various class feats. Favored Souls, on the other hand, actually have deities actively watching over their progress.
    All in all they are both very solid classes.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  6. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I think you have it reversed. A Favoref Soul uses Cha for spells per day and maximum spell level, and Wisdom for setting Saving Throws. The spirit Shaman reverses that pattern. I think that cuts down on having these characters use too many offensive, damage dealing spells.

I would love to play a FS. Awesome saves, playing a deity's chosen rep, the spell selection challenge. . . Cool!

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I can imagine the regular cleric sulking in a corner. "Chosen, eh? What am I, chopped liver?"

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have played a Favored Soul in the past. Tons of fun. Depending on the type of campaign you play and the DM, the Wis + Cha requirement isn't an obstacle. Unless of course you are in a very hgih-level campaign. Even still, they are playable. A good DM can see the deficiency of a class and add something extra to the class or the character to even the slate.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.