1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Any advice on this specific Assertion Error?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by DrowLicious, Aug 18, 2004.

1. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

While going through BG: The Original Saga for a second time something started happening to me that never happened before. If a little story scene would arise due to my party resting my game would crash due to an Assertion Error-"D:bad:BGSourceUpdate_ToTSC\dev\Baldur\ObjCreature.epp at line number 13011." After researching the problem on the web i found i could fix the dilemma by deleting my cache before starting up the game every session.
    Here is my question however- Does deleting the cache affect anything adversely in the actual game? So far i haven't had any problems. The weird thing is this never happened my first trip through the game. Thanks for any knowledge on this problem

[ August 19, 2004, 22:39: Message edited by: Sauron the Puppy ]

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No, deleting the cache has no adverse effect whatsoever. The cache will just be created anew once you start playing.

3. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Tal, you are delicious as usual. Thanks. ;)

On an update though....deleting the cache doesn't solve the problem all the time...'tears'

I wish i knew what caused this specific error so i could maybe fix it. The net has offered no advice on this particular error.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice...maybe i need to do a complete tear down..but not today.

[ August 19, 2004, 22:38: Message edited by: Sauron the Puppy ]

4. PugBoy 306 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I've got a similar assertion error - D:bad:Dev\Baldur\CPathSearch.cpp at line number 724.
    I'm in the catacombs under Candlekeep.

I have the 5 CD BG & single CD ToTSC expansion. I've downloaded the ToTSC & DX8 patches with no improvement. Where do I find the cache to delete it (I'm not very tech savvy). Also, if I uninstall & reinstall will I lose my saved games?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Uninstall and reinstall will not delete your save games. Your savegames will be there unless you delete them manually.

Beside the DX8 patch (which has nothing to do with the assertions, by the way), you have the final patch too I suppose...

You can find the 'cache' files in your game dir, in Cache/Data.
    If this does not work, try to do a reinstall.

6. PugBoy 306 Gems: 1/31

Thanks for that, I didn't want to have to start the game again.

I haven't come across the final patch, do you know where I can find it?

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  8. PugBoy 306 Gems: 1/31

I've re-installed & downloaded the patches and it's working no probs now. :)

9. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

@ Sauron the puppy, I had an assertion error in BGII the other day and I deleted the files in the temp directory and loaded a game about three saves back and I was able to get the rest animation OK (where it stuffed up previously)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.