1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Another Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mr Writer, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

2. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG]
    Woah that attorney is cool!!! :grin:

I hope the kid doesn't win. Or if he does his mother is re-adjusted. She pulls him out of school so that he fails the entire year, rather than just failing 1 assignment. What is she on? :confused:

3. Elendil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

You can laugh at such stupidity... :lol:
    or admire that woman's instict for earning $1.5 million so easy... :evil:

4. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Like the kid :good: ...
    Hate the mother :evil:

5. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

So the kid can't write a letter to Jesus. Just write a letter to someone else. Don't make a big deal out of it and sue the school for 1.5 million dollars. But I guess that is the way for Americans to make money, if you don't have enough cash, just sue somebody.

6. Psycho. the fanged rabbit Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Yah I don't think big deal is not being able to write to Jesus I think it's how the teacher said Jesus doesn't exist. In school you are not suposed to talk about faith unless you are in a private school. Now me personally am not a real believer in God and Jesus coming back to life and all that crap but if I was a teacher I would never share that to my students. Now 1.5 million dollars that's just nuts just for that isue. I choked on my pop when I read that.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Whoa man what a crappy assignment. That's the kind of crap I hated in school; I am SO glad that is way way behind me! :)

The mother is rather silly for pulling him out of school, but that teacher certainly needs some diplomatic skills. Rather than saying Jesus doesn't exist, she should have just asked where the letter was to be sent. If the kid couldn't come up with an answer, make him choose a new subject; if he says a priest or the Pope or whoever, then just send it to them...

[ August 11, 2002, 20:17: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

8. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I can't say I had any idiotic assignments like that in school, but I have to agree with BTA.

The mother is really stupid for pulling her kid out of school. I hope he can survive on that 1.5M settlement, because he'll never get a decent job. Thanks for screwing up my future mom!

The teacher likewise needs to learn some diplomatic skills. Ask the kid where to send the letter.

9. Keraptisdm Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

This incident occured about five miles from my residence and the local paper has been covering it quite extensively. The School District has repeatedly changed their statements as this story made its way to the press. The truth probably is somewhere inbetween the two parties. At the very least, the teacher should have handled the situation in a better manner. I would not have pulled my kid out of school over the incident, but then again, I NEVER would have my kid in that school district to begin with!

10. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Uh, the teacher is clearly a moron.

Argue over whether he was the Son of God or just a prophet or a holy man or a nut case or what-have-you, but Jesus clearly existed. We have an overwhelming amount of evidence from both religious and secular authorities. We have a scholarly contemporaneous account from the Jewish historian Josephus and an avalanche of other written records.

There is no doubt that Jesus existed.

Unless the assignment was to write to a living person, the teacher's objection is idiotic.

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Shralphy, you have to admit that writing letters to dead persons generally doesn't really makes sense - so what do you expect was the point of that assignment? There are four possible theoretical cathegories of reciepients: dead, alive, unborn and things.
    Jesus undisputedly lived quite a while ago, he is dead. Dead people and things are unlikely to respond ... leaves unborn as a final alternative ... but since unborns also need a while to respond that also seems to be a kinda ruled out too. The teacher could have been a little more diplomatic though, her point critizising the kid was probably justified ;)

And besides, remember what kina people where the first settlers in america and you'll no longer wonder about weird people like this moronic mom and her son :D

[ August 12, 2002, 15:28: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

12. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'm with you Mr. Morningmist ... the kid is all heart. However, the mom needs to get a clue.

I love Jesus and he is my best friend.
    I pray, I write down stuff, I read the word.
    But I don't write him letters in school. All it should have taken was a gentle persuasion from his mom to write the letter to Jesus, and then another one to his Senator asking, "Why can't I talk to Jesus in school?"

Suing for 1.5 Million dollars ... *sigh* gives Christians a bad name. If they win, I hope they tithe :money: :good:

13. SC Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Math, you're a priest, that's why.

Ok, so the kid is just following his beliefs(good thing). He has an idiotic mom who is sueing the school board because of her beliefs(bad thing). The teacher sounds like my english teacher I had for 10 months(REALLY bad thing). Ah well, the atorney is good(REALLY good thing). It's even out. Kill the teacher, send the mom to a atheist asylum, and get the atorney to foster the child, putting him back in school of course. :)

14. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I wrote letters to Smokey the Bear and to Santa Claus when I was in 2nd grade - I received replies from both of them!!!

Kind of :yot: but I though I'd include it. I can't believe the teacher made such a big deal about who the kid writes to - They're kids!!! Sheesh! I mean, I'd like to write a letter to Britney Spears, who is a real live person, but I doubt I'd get any kind of response!

15. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] What's really sad about this is the attention its getting...other stupid hicks might catch on.

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The problem is not so much the attention but the type of lawyer involved at the suers side. Personally I find the kind of lawyer disgusting who offers his assistance on the basis of sharing the compensation with the victim - like: my support won't cost you anything, but if you win I'll get 50% ... iirc that is pretty common among compensation lawyers in the US.

IMO there is something seriously wrong with the US legal system ... but that's just my opinion. In germany a lawyer working like that would risk loosing his admittance/ license by decision of the professional association of lawyers.

17. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Bel, Brittney didn't respond to you?

I got a signed picture in the mail with a letter that says, "Timmy, hope you grow up into a fine young man. You're handwriting is very nice for a 3rd grader."

I responded that I was actaully a 31 year old... and got a restraining order overnighted to my attention.

She's very prompt! :grin:

18. Lady Jellybee Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I don't think the mom believes in God, she just sees her 'religion' as a way to suck money from the system. :money: Not a very moral woman. As for me, I'm a semi-Santiana Catholic. (My dad's a true Santiana Catholic; grew up in a Catholic family, later decided he didn't beleive in God, yet he believes that the Catholic religion is good for humanity/society/etc. I share his belief there, though I wasn't raised as he was.)

19. Psycho. the fanged rabbit Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I was thinking how could the mom sue can she see the kid is either a smart ass or has no commen scence. If he's the first one she should ignore the whole thing. If he has no commen scence it shows because it's obvious Jesus can not write back to him hey little buddy Jesus is dead. So no this kid is not sweet he is either a smart little devil :evil: or he is just dumb :confused: .

20. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I don't even know how to begin to respond to that. This kid is a christian. In christianity, Jesus is still alive, sitting beside his father as God. Don't attempt to throw around slander like that and apply it to other people, please. While you are more than welcome to believe what you will, don't try to tell someone that their God is dead just because you believe that.

The kid is not at fault here. I agree that the mother is just trying to sue to milk the system. The teacher was stupid as well for not handling the matter diplomatically. The kid is the victim here. He'll likely be traumatized by this whole ordeal.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.